Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-22-2014, 09:36 PM   #1  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Default so glad for this group

I was on a WLS support group on facebook and today was the final straw. I had posted something and got lectured to...doesn't matter what about but why can't people just let someone vent without getting all high and mighty? I stated to begin with that I had a bad day and needed to vent. Anyway I just want to say in all the years I have been coming to 3FC and this group I have never had the issues I have had with this facebook group. I'm not part of the group anymore and have in fact deleted my facebook account for now. I just need a break, have been wasting too much time there anyway.

take care all! hope you are having a better day than I am!
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:25 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

honey - what happened? and i don't mean with the FB group - i mean with YOU???? what's going on???

we're very quiet these days - and i'm not sure why. maybe the newbies are trying to figure out how to deal, and we oldies are doing a combination of living and struggling.

glad you know you can come here and vent ANY TIME!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 256/203/150

Height: 5'5"

I like this forum much better and its a judgement free zone.

I got my first fill on Thursday and boy oh boy.....Surgeon told me this is when the party starts and the fill will put me in the neighborhood.....maybe not at my house but we will get there. I am so glad that is behind me now because I will know what to expect.

Having some real food relationship work to do now since I know I am not hungry and any eating is just emotional eating. Love my decision!
Iwanawurkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

Jen,
Sorry about your ordeal on FB. I am not sure what your ordeal was on FB, but most of the time people forget that we are individuals..... No cookie (pardon the food pun) cutter people here.... what works for one may not work or be appropriate for another.

Again, sorry..... hope your day gets better.

Tammy
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:31 PM   #5  
Jen

Thanks for asking Jiffypop. I think just years of crap is just catching up with me. I just have no tolerance anymore for stupid sh!t. I get overwhelmed that people can be so thoughtless and sometimes the world is an awful place to live in. I try to disconnect from the outside stuff and just work on myself and my family but it is hard. No man is an island. At the same time though it gets to be too much. I think being a nurse is getting to be too much. I can't deal with sick people. How horrible does that sound? Like last night I was working with another nurse because I'm in a new area so I'm buddied. Anyway we had 2 patients, both were elderly, both confused and probably they are on a downhill slide to death. I want to be the best nurse that I can and make them comfortable and give them dignity and respect but at the same time it is getting increasingly difficult. It's hard to put into words. I think I just can't disconnect myself from my work and it's dragging me down. I really believe I need to look at a new and completely different career but at the same time my husband is laid off work so it really isn't the time to dump a job that brings in a good paycheque. so that is kind of bringing me down as well that I don't have that option right at this moment. I have some things I am pursuing, I think I posted awhile back about doing the personal trainer course, I am taking the practical exam next week so I will be certified (hopefully!) and I think I would like to pursue that as a new career. It's something that has been clicking in the back of my head for several months but I need to lose weight and get into better shape because who is going to hire an overweight, out of shape personal trainer? I can have all the knowledge but I'm going to be my own best advertisement.

I won't deny either that this has been a really long and cold winter where I live and I expect that seasonal affective disorder is part of all this as well. The sun is shining today, I am off work for several days so I feel pretty good today!
Old 03-25-2014, 06:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
... but I need to lose weight and get into better shape because who is going to hire an overweight, out of shape personal trainer? I can have all the knowledge but I'm going to be my own best advertisement.
Oh man, Jen... this hits home for me so much. See, I'm a Registered Dietitian. A morbidly obese dietitian. (I was under 200 when I got licensed, but I'm over 280 now). I can just feel it when new patients meet me and I say, "Hi, I'm your RD" and they are looking at me like, "Really?!?!"

Pretty much makes me want to hide in a hole.
gonzostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:38 PM   #7  
Jen

Hi Holly. Sorry but yep I can see that. But on the other hand I also hate talking to super skinny RDs that have no clue what it is like to struggle with food. In a way that is why I think I could be a great trainer because I'd be quite willing to share my struggles with clients. I'd love to specialize in WLS clients because so many of us have addictive personalities and I can see from my former FB group that many of them get addicted to exercise which can be good and can be bad. Anyway I hear your pain with this. It's an easy thing to have all the knowledge and information and quite another to live it. Maybe we could work together??
Old 03-26-2014, 12:40 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

jen - another reason that someone like you would be a great trainer - the exercise modifications! Some trainers forget, or don't know, or can't figure out, how to modify exercise for folks with limitations. After all, let's face it, we ALL have bad knees at this point!

And Holly - THE BEST EVER RD i met was a slightly pudgy woman whose entire family had WLS. She avoided it ONLY because she was so regimented, and she didn't want to wish that on anyone.

She understood the issues that we had, and recognized the addictive aspects of the food. please don't hide in a hole. We need competent, experienced RDs like never before. So few understand WLS and its special psychological and physical requirements.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 348/185/170

Height: 5.10/177cm

Well I must add s omething to this too! I haven't been around for a while...but in the past this was the place where I could get the support I needed..advice..or just some comfort. Everyone have always been nice..no one judged.. I appreciate this a lot. As you said Jen..sometimes people forget the hard times we went through..the fact that they also were fat..and they get all high and above everyone else. Nothing like that ever happened on here.

It's still nice to come back and see how everyone is doing..

Good luck with the struggle and life..we deserve a good one
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

Holly, I once went to a "diet" program many years ago who would only hire clients to work for them to see results. So, now that you are admitting you are not proud of your weight.... maybe just do your best to lose the weight (even if by WLS) and put something on your desk like "in the trenches, struggling together" or something to let people know you can relate.
Also, I would much rather see someone as a RD that is a little overweight than someone who does not have a real grasp on eating in the real world. Some things people suggest are just not obtainable to everyone (like when the suggest only specialty organic foods that are not available at the local WM or Kroger where most people shop).

Jen, same to you.... I would rather have someone who is not a toothpick and could help adapt with me being overweight than having me doing something someone my size has NO business doing......
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #11  
Jen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyrider72472 View Post

Jen, same to you.... I would rather have someone who is not a toothpick and could help adapt with me being overweight than having me doing something someone my size has NO business doing......
Thanks so much! it is really nice to get this positive feedback. Sometimes I think to myself what on earth am I getting myself into, change is SO hard and it is very scary standing on the brink of something totally new. But I think about my job now being a nurse and for how many years I just dreaded going to work. I want to be able to be fired up and happy about working and thinking that being a personal trainer is the way to go. Thanks again!!