Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:08 PM   #1  
apple to apple core

S/C/G: 275/215/175

Height: 5'7"

Default Tshirt/capris violate dress code at gym - if you're too fit, that is

A woman who went to Planet Fitness gym was told she violated the gym's dress code, which is in place to help support the "judgement-free zone" philosophy designed to discourage showing off one's body. Staff members pulled the woman aside and advised her they had complaints she was intimidating other patrons, in particular that her string tank top was an issue, she says. She changed into tshirt to wear with her capri work-out pants, but apparently the way her body appeared in the tshirt and capris was still a concern. Gym employees told her she was still intimidating others with her appearance, which violated the spirit of their philosophy. She quit the gym and asked for a refund and I guess called the news station. Picture in article link.
http://www.christianpost.com/news/ca...atrons-116423/

Some excerpts:

"Gym member Geovanna Borges, who joined the Richmond gym two months ago, commented, "It's unfair to show off your body, because it can make other people feel bad," she said."

"When asked about the incident involving Austin, however, Planet Fitness spokesperson Mcall Gosselin said if she was criticized for being toned or fit, then that "is not in line with the Planet Fitness policy whatsoever."

Last edited by TooWicky; 03-19-2014 at 05:10 PM.
TooWicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #2  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

I can see them having issue with the first tank top perhaps, but after she put on a tee shirt??? That's just crazy.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #3  

Geez I agree I guess I need to check the dress code at Crunch fitness which is also big on no judgements. I don't even find the first outfit offensive. It's one thing when the bombs are hanging out or they are below the naval midriff revealing.

I had on long pants and a top with double rather thick spaghetti straps today for yoga. I didn't get summoned to the office for detention.

Such a weird story.
CindySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:19 AM   #4  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

That seems crazy to me - a regular t-shirt and capris are pretty darn modest. I can get why they might make her change out of her first one - my gym has a policy of no sleeveless shirts for anyone (they said it's a hygiene thing).

Who cares if someone with a fit body is working out near you? If you keep working out, you'll look like that, too. If the person is giving you crap that's a different thing. But it sounded like this woman was just minding her own business.

Yeah, I don't get it.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #5  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Ridiculous. The whole thing. People make me crazy.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:44 PM   #6  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

W.T.F.... O_o
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200+/160.8/135

Height: 5'5.5

So stupid.
Dottington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:09 PM   #8  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

This makes me think twice about switching over to Planet Fitness . . .
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I wonder how tight the t-shirt was, and whether "intimidating" was code for "indecent" or "immodest," which are no longer politically correct terms.

If multiple other patrons were complaining, I'm betting there was more to the story, such as the t-shirt revealing more than it covered - sheer, wet, clingy...

I've never complainef to the staff, but I've definitely seen a lot more of other people's bodies at the gym than I ever wanted to - and I mean outside the locker room. Guys who where spandex shorts so tight I can see the length and girth of their penis and the outline of both testicles and girls with camel toes deep enough to hold their car keys or t-shirts so tight, sheer, light colored or damp that I can not only see nipple, but also the size and color of their areola.

To be asked to change or leave, I'm guessing her workout gear showed off a lot more than her toned body.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:58 PM   #10  

I'm really surprised at this. I think this is no different than had they asked a over weight person to cover up their fat rolls...I feel this was shaming and humiliating this women for her body. If the other member are so bottomed out in their self esteem that they can't even look at a toned body at the gym then that's their issue.
*Assuming* there is not more to the story, this is just wrong.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:05 PM   #11  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I have a feeling that this woman probably did something to tick someone off outside her wardrobe choices. Either she irked a staff member into using a ridiculously vague rule, or she was a loser to another member who complained.

I don't know why, and I could be wrong, but it's just a feeling.

Either way, you can have a "no judgements" atmosphere without being the clothing ****.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:54 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I wonder how tight the t-shirt was, and whether "intimidating" was code for "indecent" or "immodest," which are no longer politically correct terms.

If multiple other patrons were complaining, I'm betting there was more to the story, such as the t-shirt revealing more than it covered - sheer, wet, clingy...

I've never complainef to the staff, but I've definitely seen a lot more of other people's bodies at the gym than I ever wanted to - and I mean outside the locker room. Guys who where spandex shorts so tight I can see the length and girth of their penis and the outline of both testicles and girls with camel toes deep enough to hold their car keys or t-shirts so tight, sheer, light colored or damp that I can not only see nipple, but also the size and color of their areola.

To be asked to change or leave, I'm guessing her workout gear showed off a lot more than her toned body.
I was thinking the same exact thing.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #13  
apple to apple core

S/C/G: 275/215/175

Height: 5'7"

Additional lawsuit filed against Planet Fitness, this time for refusing to allow a woman to cover up...

...with a religious headscarf for her muslim faith, because it violated the "no bandanas and skull caps" dress code. She offered to wear a more formal hijab so that it would clearly indicate a head covering for religious reasons, but the gym employees said no to that as well. Picture and article in link.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ering/6665857/

Excerpts:

"According to the transcript, McDaniel acknowledged seeing the sign. But she added, "I already (had) made it known before I signed the contract that I covered my hair. I had on (what) I call a head covering. I guess for the sake of the record, they're referring to it as a head covering." When Anderson asked if she told them she was Muslim, McDaniel replied, "I sure did."

"Planet Fitness attorney Erika Anderson said the head covering violates the gym's dress-code policy. "My client's position is that they didn't know the head covering was for religious purposes," Anderson said."

I had no idea there could be this much drama about what to wear at the gym. I obviously haven't been in one in years. Kaplods, your eloquent description has scarred me for life One time I was asked to change my clothing at work. I worked for an airline and we wore uniforms - we could mix and match buttondowns, shirts, vests, sweaters, pants, skirts, etc. One day I went in wearing a v-neck sweater and a scarf around my neck - just like a couple of other ladies in our immediate team that day. My sweater was the same fit as the other women, but I had a different body dimension. I was very young at the time, slim, and very top heavy : / My male boss pulled me aside and said my sweater was not professional. I was asked to change clothes or put something over my sweater, which I did. I can't even describe how humiliated and embarrassed and upset I was. My sweater was not any tighter than the other ladies' sweaters. I felt the complaint was about my body itself, which I couldn't change. Maybe the lady that was asked to change clothes at the gym also had a provocative body type and it wasn't an issue of tight or see-through clothing. The picture with the news article only showed her from the hips up, but the top part of her capri work out pants didn't look painted on or anything. Below that... who knows!
TooWicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #14  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Quote:
excuse me, we've had some complaints you're intimidating people with your toned body
Seriously, I'd be thrilled the day I hear that they're 'intimidated by my toned body.'
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote