Old 03-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 204/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Default IP diet eating only whole foods?

Ladies,
I recently went thru quite an ordeal with my uterus (if she acts up one more time, she is OUT!), and had to place my diet on hold. I haven't gained or lost any weight, but I know I need to get back on the proverbial horse.

One thing I am hoping to do differently is go the "whole foods" route - meaning switching out eggs for packets. I have the approximate numbers somewhere of how many eggs and/or whites I would need in order to get the necessary amount of protein in my diet. If anyone has it handy, please feel free to post!

Has anyone here done the whole foods route? Meaning no bars, no packets - just whole food. If so, what did you do?

Is there any reason I should NOT do this?
zephyr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:36 PM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

A couple thoughts on this.

You could look at the macronutrients on the packets and attempt to replicate them with food. It wouldn't need to be exact, just ball park.

or

You could do a different diet plan that it still a PSMF. "Rapid Fat Loss" is a whole foods based PSMF diet which is, in my opinion, superior in every way to the IP diet.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:50 PM   #3  

1 whole egg and two whites is the equivalent on the packet stuff.

Not a bad idea. I just got back from a Women's Health Luncheon and the focus was on the overconsumption of soy and breast cancer in women. The Doc (a chiro) was awesomely informed about ketogenic diets, etc and was great but really frowned about the amount of soy in our diets. Definitely got me thinking.
eandc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:25 PM   #4  
Started IP on 3/1/2014

S/C/G: 237.5/207.5/140

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandc2006 View Post

Not a bad idea. I just got back from a Women's Health Luncheon and the focus was on the overconsumption of soy and breast cancer in women. The Doc (a chiro) was awesomely informed about ketogenic diets, etc and was great but really frowned about the amount of soy in our diets. Definitely got me thinking.
I did a lot of reading on this site prior to starting IP, and one member (who is no longer posting on this forum) said that 1 egg yolk + 4 egg whites (which is 1 whole egg + 3 egg whites) can be used in lieu of an IP pack.

Can someone please verify which is correct? Is it 1 whole egg + 2 egg whites or 1 whole egg + 3 egg whites?
karkrazy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:47 PM   #5  

JohnP! How are you? Nice to see you popping in and sharing. I googled the rapid fat loss diet. Can you tell me a bit more. I am in maintenance now but would love to have the knowledge as I have just returned from a luncheon where the focus was on soy and cancer (IP products have a lot of soy). I know you are always informed and I would love your insight, success, etc.
eandc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

I have always seen it as:
-- 1 egg + 2 whites replaces one IP packet
-- 4 eggs + 2 whites replaces one 8 oz serving of meat
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:17 PM   #7  
Started IP on 3/1/2014

S/C/G: 237.5/207.5/140

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
Thank you! I have been going by what that other member posted, so I am eating 1 too many egg whites at lunch!
karkrazy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:23 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by karkrazy13 View Post
Thank you! I have been going by what that other member posted, so I am eating 1 too many egg whites at lunch!
There was a time on IP when you could have one (maybe 2?) "free" egg whites, and although that is no longer on the protocol sheet MANY successful IPers still use that egg white for making muffins, pancakes, etc. And still lose quite well. I doubt the extra white is an issue... Now you can just save it and make some yummy muffins! 😃
Old 03-21-2014, 12:05 AM   #9  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
JohnP! How are you? Nice to see you popping in and sharing. I googled the rapid fat loss diet. Can you tell me a bit more. I am in maintenance now but would love to have the knowledge as I have just returned from a luncheon where the focus was on soy and cancer (IP products have a lot of soy). I know you are always informed and I would love your insight, success, etc.
There isn't much to tell. It is a PSMF type of diet with some key differences.

1) Education is not comprehensive but it is far superior, in my opinion*, to the education that the IP diet provides. Obviously the education one receives with IP varies with the clinic but in my opinion the general ideas they promote are only good for one thing - aiding in compliance. Rapid Fat Loss tells people how your body actually works.

2) Rapid Fat Loss has different protocols for different types of people. This is one of the big weaknesses of the IP diet. Everyone be they a 4'10" female or a 6'5" male everyone follows the identical protocol. This is fine since most people who follow the IP diet are of a similar subset but you can see how the outliers are affected.

3) Rapid Fat Loss has built in breaks for everyone. Yes, there are people who can grind out phase 1 without cheating for months and months. Frankly I am amazed at the mental strength of these people but not everyone can do that. Rapid Fat Loss has free meals, refeeds, and diet breaks by design.

4) Rapid Fat Loss is whole foods based with no supplements for sale. Therefore it is less expensive.

5) Rapid Fat Loss has zero in person support. This is a key strength of the IP diet, provided one has a good clinic. Most people do far better when they have a coach. I left this point for last because it is the most important one. One plan vs another makes no difference if it isn't being followed. I think in general a good coach can have a huge impact on the results one sees. Then again, by it's nature Rapid Fat Loss is easier to follow because of the built in breaks and free meals.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:17 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
I got my packet equivalent info from another member when I first started (1 whole + 3 whites). I thought I researched it, as well, but since there seems to be a question, I just spent some time on a nutritional site researching, to be sure.

1 plain omelet packet is 110 cals, 3 fat, 3 carbs, 18 pro
1 Fine Herb Cheese is 140 cals, 5 fat, 7 carbs 18 pro

1 whole egg is 71 calls, 5g fat, <1 carb, 6 g protein

1 egg white 16 cals, 0 fat, 0 carb, 4 protein

when I do some addition,
1 whole + 3 whites 119 cals, 5 fat, 18 pro
This would be most similar to an omelet pack

If you only used 2 whites, you'd have 14 g protein. Most IP packs have 15 g, so my conclusion is it is up to you whether you use 2 or 3 egg whites with your 1 whole egg to replace an omelet pack. It doesn't change the fat or carbs since those are in the yolk.

It is correct that the P1 sheet says a "dinner protein" portion of eggs is 4 whole plus 2 whites.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:20 AM   #11  

Quote:

I cut soy protein over a year ago due to health problems I was having. There are many IP products and alts that do not contain soy protein. I became an avid label reader!
Old 03-21-2014, 06:36 AM   #12  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I cut soy protein over a year ago due to health problems I was having. There are many IP products and alts that do not contain soy protein. I became an avid label reader!
I don't feel like there is enough time in my session to read through all the labels. What ones do you eat or which should I avoid? (Whichever list is easier!) or is there somewhere online to read all the ingredients?
ChipnDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:57 AM   #13  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDip View Post
I don't feel like there is enough time in my session to read through all the labels. What ones do you eat or which should I avoid? (Whichever list is easier!) or is there somewhere online to read all the ingredients?
Someone posted a link to a website recently that had that information - let me see if I can find it. I thought I had saved the link, but no such luck.
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:50 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I got my packet equivalent info from another member when I first started (1 whole + 3 whites). I thought I researched it, as well, but since there seems to be a question, I just spent some time on a nutritional site researching, to be sure.

1 plain omelet packet is 110 cals, 3 fat, 3 carbs, 18 pro
1 Fine Herb Cheese is 140 cals, 5 fat, 7 carbs 18 pro

1 whole egg is 71 calls, 5g fat, <1 carb, 6 g protein

1 egg white 16 cals, 0 fat, 0 carb, 4 protein

when I do some addition,
1 whole + 3 whites 119 cals, 5 fat, 18 pro
This would be most similar to an omelet pack

If you only used 2 whites, you'd have 14 g protein. Most IP packs have 15 g, so my conclusion is it is up to you whether you use 2 or 3 egg whites with your 1 whole egg to replace an omelet pack. It doesn't change the fat or carbs since those are in the yolk.

It is correct that the P1 sheet says a "dinner protein" portion of eggs is 4 whole plus 2 whites.

THANKS for the great info and clarification!!

I often use that third egg white in other things (muffins, waffles, etc) anyway, so I guess it all works out!

YAY!
Old 03-21-2014, 12:13 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDip View Post
I have a list...somewhere...
Remind me if I don't get it to you in a day or two. Shouldn't even be here now!