Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-01-2014, 10:40 PM   #1  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile Ups & Downs Support Group: March 2014

Hello and to the Ups & Downs Support Group: March 2014 thread! Anyone is welcome to join the group if you are interested in receiving and giving support in your weight loss journey. We chose the title Ups & Downs for our support group to reflect the ups and downs of weight loss, life on medication, and life in general. Feel free to post and join in! For the regulars in the group, PLEASE POST and let us know you found the new thread!

Waving hello to everyone and wishing you the best in your weight loss journey!
IBelieveInMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:53 PM   #2  
I can do it!!!

Cool Plugging along!

I am continuing to follow the eating guidelines of the DASH diet. I have strayed a little in the past few days with my eating, but I am not weighing myself until Thursday, so hopefully any damage will be undone before then. I did not get a workout in today, but I did get workouts in every day this past week! That is a HUGE accomplishment for me! I really need to keep it up. We went to one of our favorite Italian restaurants tonight, which serves very delicious bread with olive oil for dipping. Our waitress brought 2 loaves to our table of 3 (hubby, daughter, and me), and I didn't have a bite! I ate a huge salad instead. YAY me! I am really making significant progress for the first time in years!!! So this past week was a definite UP week for me! I know some other regulars in the group have been struggling lately and I wrote to you personally last evening. My heart and my prayers go out to all of you. Hang in there and please continue to post and keep us updated, even if it is to just say "still struggling." Sending out big hugs to all of my regulars! Thanks for being here!
Old 03-02-2014, 08:46 AM   #3  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hello Kathleen and thanks for setting up the March thread congrats to you for doing well on your program! I have NOT Had 4 good days, then one bad, then one not-so-good..today will be day 6 and I will try yet again

Just another white/grey/snowy/cold day and just another day of work for my Rat B@st@rd of a boss, lol. But I am on the countdown, about 6 more weeks then I am OUT OF THERE
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:34 PM   #4  
I can do it!!!

Smile Holly

Hello Holly! So happy that you posted. I just came home from a meal out with my parents at another Italian restaurant ~ where I was tempted with cheesy garlic bread, yummy pizza, and dessert, but all I had was a cup of wedding soup and a large spinach salad. I am so proud of myself! When I saw the pizza, I thought "I HAVE to have ONE piece of that!" but I thought it through and talked myself out of it. I am glad that I did. I am comfortably satisfied right now and I'd have felt stuffed and guilty if I had given in to the pizza monster! Happy to hear that you only have 6 more weeks at your job with your nasty boss. (I like your description better!) Hey, 4 good days on your plan is great! Remember that it's about PROGRESS and NOT perfection. Climb right back on board! WE CAN DO THIS!!!
Old 03-03-2014, 08:44 AM   #5  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

I'm doing good! Last night we had my niece Margaret and her 7-yr-old son over to our house for dinner: that's the first time we've had people over in a very long time, because of Bob's long, severe depression. The three of them had pizza, while I had Greek salad. We had several prints, most of them framed, that we were happy to give to our niece to help her decorate her new place. And I was pleased that she really liked one of my collages, so I'm going to have it framed for her as a housewarming present.
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:13 AM   #6  
I can do it!!!

Smile Fi!!!

Fi: Glad to see you made it to the new thread! Thanks for posting. Sounds like things are going well with your niece and her son. That is great that Bob was willing to have people over. Sounds like a big step for him! Maybe taking care of the 7-year-old has been a blessing in disguise for both of you!?! Hope all is well. Good for you for eating salad while the others had pizza!
Old 03-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 198/190/135

Height: 5'6

Hello all, Found it!
Kathleen! Way to GO! Finally seeing the results you deserve is so gratifying, and I am so happy for you.

Fi, I am so glad to hear that the relationship with your niece seems to be a positive thing for both you and Bob. I agree about taking it slow with Robine, but snail mail should facilitate that. I am glad to hear you doing so well

Holly, You can do it!! I am also having trouble staying with my program right now. Thinking about you and sending strong thoughts!

I am doing ok now, I still feel physically depressed though my state of mind is doing better. Diet and exercise have been off since we got back from the hospital(2 weeks, ridiculous!), and I am just starting to feel any type of motivation to exercise or stop eating cookies and fancy cheese.

Sorry to vent but I work with a girl who is dumb. She lacks critical thinking skills!!! She is sweet and has a beautiful heart and I love her outside of work but she drives me crazy. It's not that I am being too hard on her, I have heard the same complaints from others. I feel bad and at the same time so irritated! I can't even leave the office for a day without her having some kind of emergency that should just not be a big deal. It puts a lot of pressure on me that doesn't really need to be there, as if my own brain isn't doing enough to me already ;p

Anywho, on a nice note I added a chicken and a beautiful young rooster to my family today, and they are so cute! Can't wait for duckies, and for goslings! I have been thinking about starting a blog, but generally am not motivated to write much. I guess a lot of it could be pictures? Anybody here blog who has thoughts on how to make it work?

Thanks to everyone,
Chelsea
CDubsGotGoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:45 PM   #8  
I can do it!!!

Smile Chelsea!

Chelsea: Congrats on your new additions to your family ~ a chicken and a rooster! Happy to hear that your state of mind is better. Now to get you out of your physical depression! Be patient with yourself. Could you get back in the swing of things by exercising just a short time...... and then gradually increase your time each day (or even each week)? Just try to take ONE small step today (or tomorrow) toward getting back on track with diet and exercise. One meal and one day at a time. You will get there! Thanks for posting! Sending you a big hug!
Old 03-04-2014, 09:15 AM   #9  

Thanks for the new thread. =)

I gained weight during the month of February but I haven't checked how much. I can just feel the difference, it's terrible. During this time, I was on Escitalopram for depression and anxiety and while it helped, I found that I was no longer able to sleep peacefully. I would toss and turn at night and then wake up exhausted. I began to care less and less about cleaning, eating right, working out, etc. and slowly worked my way back around to feeling sad and now angry. So two days ago I decided to stop taking it.

I'm still feeling a bit more tired than normal but I'm doing a lot better. My sleep isn't quite as restful yet, I still have vivid dreams that wake me up, but at least I'm not in pain.

I went to the gym yesterday for the first time in a month or more.
Dollfaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:46 AM   #10  
I can do it!!!

Smile Dollfaise

Dollfaise: to the group! Good for you for going to the gym yesterday! You are on your way toward getting that weight off! Be careful about stopping your med cold turkey. Usually, a psychiatrist should wean you off gradually to avoid side effects. Are you under the care of a doctor? I would recommend keeping him/her in the loop. Glad you posted! Good luck to you!
Old 03-05-2014, 08:27 AM   #11  
I can do it!!!

Question Where is everyone?

I am continuing to do well (not perfect, which is OKAY) on the DASH way of eating. I am really using it to provide guidelines for healthy eating, so I am trying to avoid calling it a "diet." I really had a bad morning yesterday and was SOOOOOO tempted to skip my workout with trainer, but I went anyway....... and I was GLAD I did afterward!!! So that is PROGRESS! Other than the weight training I do with my trainer twice a week, I have only been able to ride the stationary bike due to lingering foot pain (plantar fasciitis?). I hope it is helping. Tomorrow's weigh-in will help me know where I stand. Since my foot pain is no longer improving, I made an appointment with my podiatrist for this Friday. Hope he can provide some relief of some kind. I am dying to get back on the treadmill!

Tonight, we are going to the Eagles concert with some really good friends who we haven't seen in awhile. I am self-conscious because of my weight, but you know what..... it is what it is and I am working to make things better, so the heck with it! We are meeting for dinner out before the concert, so I think I will look up the menu online and decide ahead of time what to order..... to keep me on track. I am trying hard to make good choices. I hope it pays off with weight loss!

Where is everyone else?!?!? Please post..... if only to say "Hi!" Hope everyone is doing okay! Sending hugs for those that need them!
Old 03-05-2014, 10:41 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 190/185/145

Height: 5'2"

Hi you all,

I would love to join this group if I may! After yet another weekend of terrible eating and very little exercise, I woke up on Monday realizing I need to find some sort of support group. I came across this group and have been very inspired by you all!

I am a late-20s woman, and I feel like I have been living in a fog for the past 4 years or so. I work from home in a very stressful job, and my partner - who is incredibly lovely and kind - is a very naturally thin woman who never really struggles with eating urges. All this is to say, I have spiraled a bit and feel like I am hidden away with eating issues, and I have gained ~40 pounds over the last few years.

That said, I feel like I am just starting to see beyond the fog, I am trying to work my way out of it in a sustainable way! I am a former athlete, so the all-or-nothing mentality has kicked me down in the past. Now, I am trying to set realistic, attainable goals to achieve daily. For example, I am trying to walk 10,000 steps every day (I have a FitBit) and avoid all soda. It's a long, sometimes sad road.

I am so happy to see there is a community to connect with and gain support from! I look forward to connecting with you all, and I hope you all have a wonderful day today!
idgie_marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:23 PM   #13  
I can do it!!!

Smile idgie_marie

idgie_marie: to our group! So happy you posted! Of course, you are welcome to join us!!! It is good news that you feel as though the fog is finally lifting for you and that you are taking realistic steps to meet your goals. I hope you will be able to receive the support that you are looking for here. It is difficult when our significant other doesn't have a weight issue when we do. Right now, my hubby is trying to lose weight, too, which helps. You can do this!!! I wish you the best in your weight loss journey!
Old 03-05-2014, 09:18 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 230/230/175

Unhappy

Hi I'm new to this but I need some support. I tried OEA but it just didn't work for me 7 years ago I started on a journey and in 3 years lost 92 pounds then I quit smoking and started gaining weight I currently have gained all but 35 pounds back I am binge eating and it's killing me I have been diagnosed with depression and take meds for it but I still can't find any motivation don't mean to be a Debbie downer but needed to get involved in something to at least try
Desper8lyseekinskiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:53 PM   #15  

I haven't seen or spoken to my doctor in a month+ and don't particularly like her. She doesn't listen when I talk, it goes in one ear and out the other. My last appointment with her was meh and I don't have a desire to go back. I'm thinking I'll try finding someone else, and closer, now that I've moved.

I'm still low on energy and motivation. That trip to the gym was my last as I hurt my knee and it's been too sore after standing all day at work. I'm not sure how to get enough energy to move, work is wearing me out so bad, I don't know how to keep going like this. I work until 7pm multiple nights a week so by that time, it's hard to make myself do anything. If I go before work, it'll be alone when I'd rather go with my boyfriend but he can't go that early.

I'm thinking a change of jobs is in order, this one is costing me my mental and physical health.
Dollfaise is offline   Reply With Quote