Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 10:10 PM   #1  
Princess in Training

Question Flax Seeds?

Hi all

New to this forum and to Atkins. (On day two of induction) I've heard about people using flax seeds as a cereal or as additive to salads for fiber. In what form do you buy it? (golden, etc?) and how (specifically...) do you prepare it?

thanks in advance
Khem

220/174/135
Old 01-14-2004, 10:57 PM   #2  
Head Princess

Hi Khem and welcome!

I've never used flax seeds so I can't answer your question, but I still wanted to say hi
Old 01-15-2004, 10:21 PM   #3  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

flax seeds are great sources of omegs 6(or is it 3"s) But either way they are truly healthy food, a mild nutty taste, and tremendous fiber source! but my sugestion is to buy a small grinder like a coffee grinder as you can not expect to eat the little buggers. they just do not chew!1 and if you hve the patients to get them between the teeth rather than in the gum then your jaw will get a bit sore (can you tell how I tired them) I do have flax oil but they recommend to take it in your shake. I lost all my research atricles when my puter died or I could get you go a great site that explains it all in rather nice terms.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:43 PM   #4  
Princess in Training

Well, I found what I was looking for, so I thought I'd share:
General info on flax:
http://www.flaxcouncil.ca/faq.htm

For 1 cup (155 grams):

762 cals
53 total carb
43 fiber!
30 grams protein

Sounds like a great fiber source to me!

For preparations...I found some recipes:
http://www.dakotaflax.com/recipes/lowcarb.html
http://lamsonadventures.com/recipes/cereal.htm
Old 01-17-2004, 03:30 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Here's some info in it...............

The heart-healthy side of flax

Besides lignans, flaxseeds and their oil are also the best food sources of an essential fatty acid, alpha-linolenic acid. "Essential" means we must consume it, because our bodies cannot manufacture it. Essential fatty acids are important for cell membranes, blood pressure regulation, and other functions. Alpha-linolenic acid is an omega-3, similar to some of the fatty acids in fish oil. Like aspirin, omega-3s may reduce blood clotting, thus lessening the chance of a fatal heart attack. Flaxseeds and their oil may also lower total blood cholesterol, as well as LDL ("bad") cholesterol. But that should come as no big surprise, since any highly unsaturated oil will do that, particularly if substituted for saturated fats. The fiber in flaxseeds may also help against cholesterol, since it is soluble (similar to that in oats).

Several population studies have linked a high intake of alpha-linolenic acid with a reduced risk of heart disease and/or death from heart disease. And a French study, as we reported in 1999, found that a diet relatively rich in alpha-linolenic acid greatly reduced the risk of second heart attacks. (The alpha-linolenic acid in that study did not come from flaxseeds, but from canola-oil margarine.) Besides flaxseeds and canola oil, alpha-linolenic acid is also found in soybean oil and walnuts.

Good food, no magic bullet

All plant foods, including flax, have good things to offer. Garlic, onions, tomatoes, broccoli, legumes, and whole grains all have a range of beneficial chemicals. If you want to add flaxseeds to your diet, that's a good idea.

Flaxseeds have a pleasant, nutty flavor and taste good sprinkled on salads, cooked vegetables, or cereals. The oil is quite tasty, too, though expensive. Here are some flax tips:

• Grind the seeds or else chew them very well—whole seeds simply pass through the body. Grinding the seeds just before using them best preserves flavor and nutrition, but pre-ground seeds are more convenient. Keep them refrigerated. There are no nutritional differences between brown and yellow seeds.

• Combine flaxseed flour with wheat flour for breads, quickbreads, and pancakes.

• Ready-made flaxseed breads, muffins, cereals, and breakfast bars can be found in many stores.

• The oil spoils quickly; it comes in dark bottles to extend its shelf life. Keep it refrigerated, and pay attention to the expiration date. "Cold-pressed" flaxseed oil is more expensive but no better than other kinds.

• Flaxseed oil cannot be used for frying or sautéing.

• Pregnant or lactating women should not eat lots of flax.

• A few people may have allergic reactions to flaxseeds.

• Pass up flaxseed supplements—eat the foods instead.

UC Berkeley Wellness Letter, May 2002
Old 01-17-2004, 03:56 PM   #6  
Movin' and Losin'

Thanks for all the flax info! I just got some cereal at Wal-Mart. It makes for a quick, different breakfast.
Closed Thread