Old 03-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #1  
lisa34t

S/C/G: 231/ticker/160-175

Height: 5"3

Default March Daily Chat!

Hello, ladies!

I used to participate in this thread alot , when I came today ..I noticed there wasn't a new one! SO here we go!!!!!!!

Any one here with me??? Im here trying to re lose my holiday weight if 11lbs! Its going well!
lisa34t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5'4 with Cuban curves!

My goal is to get healthy, back to my college weight. My husband and I are also wanting to have a baby, and I want to be physically and mentally healthy before we take that leap. So far its going well! Ive lost 8 lbs using mfp and I just bought a fitbit. I'm also planning on joining a boot camp program next week. So far I am good, except when I talk to my family. They are awful! They can be so rude About weight. I don't understand why. My grandma said today that its a good thing that I'm losing weight because I'm not pretty when I'm fat. I work very hard to control my own negative self talk, its hard when people close to you actually say it to you. I love my family, but I think I just need to ignore whatever they say about weight, its not good for me! Anyone else have this problem? How do you tune out rude and negative people?
Claygirl1518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:01 PM   #3  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Goodness Claygirl, that is awful! I am sorry you have to hear those comments. Tune it out!!! Or you may even need to say you won't tolerate comments about your weight anymore and leave the room if they continue. Worth a shot? Good luck..

---

I am first and foremost trying to get in better shape to do all the outdoor activities I love but struggle with because of my weight. Secondly, I'm trying to get out of the "obese" range by the end of this year (179)! I can't wait to get under 200 pounds.

I assume a daily chat thread is literally just random chat? lol (new here)...
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:48 PM   #4  

Thanks nonameslob, I appreciate that. Ive gotten pretty good at tuning out! I also want to get out of the obese BMI range and under 200. I have found though, that even at my skinniest (back in college 155) BMI still said I was overweight, and I don't think I should be any skinner than that! My first goal is to not be obese, ill worry about a specific weight when I get closer to it!
Old 03-19-2014, 02:54 PM   #5  
Call me NNS!

I think that's a very good and reasonable goal to have! I honestly cannot remember a time that I wasn't overweight, so it is very hard for me to figure out what my "final" goal should be. One goal at a time!
Old 03-19-2014, 10:02 PM   #6  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Hi Everyone,

I went to the doctor's yesterday and she weighed me and I now weigh 302 when I used to weight 292 at my lowest since re-starting my weight loss journey on Jan. 16th of this year. So anyway she put me on a 1200 calorie diet and Im definitely gonna stick to it and get back down to 292 or even lower. My long term goal is 150 though. My mini goal for right now is to get to 250. So I have a long way to go but Im gonna keep pushing on
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 229/205.6/165

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone! Side note that a couple of you have touched on - should we really care about BMI? It seems crazy to me that it's such a renowned method for judging weight. According to my BMI, i'm supposed to be weighing 145 at the TOP end of having a "normal" weight. That number is so far off the charts for me, I don't even want to go there - i will feel too skinny, i've been curvy all my life and I like it that way! My first goal is to get to anything in the 170s (haven't ever seen that on a scale before) and my end goal would be 160 i think. But I guess I would re-evaluate at 160 if I felt I needed to lose anymore - I honestly dont know a time when I weighed only 160 so it would be really weird just adjusting to that life!
kaybee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:50 AM   #8  
Call me NNS!

Terra, hi! What were you doing before? Hopefully the 1200 calorie diet works for you. Are you logging with MyFitnessPal? Keep on pushing on!

kaybee, that's a good point. I like using the BMI scale to help me set goals - being out of the obese BMI range feels like a big accomplishment to me, even if I know BMI isn't the best judge of weight. After that though, I'd like to throw it out the window!

I was trying to think about my weight in high school for comparison, I couldn't remember any numbers but I think I was a size 14 throughout most of high school. Just getting into a 12 would be an amazing accomplishment for me and would be skinnier than anything I've ever known!

That all feels such a long way off though. It seems like people on this forum are losing weight so much faster than me, which isn't exactly a bad thing, but I do get impatient. I hope what they say is true - that the slower you lose, the more likely you are to keep the weight off.

Being sick isn't helping. I miss going to the gym!
Old 03-20-2014, 11:27 AM   #9  
lisa34t

S/C/G: 231/ticker/160-175

Height: 5"3

claygirl- yes sometimes family can be rude, they say things feeling that were family and I can say it. Sometimes we in general talk to fast with out thinking. Overall I would just suggest not taking or try to not take anything to heart so it wont discourage you! Just Show THEM! I also have a fitbit! I have had it since 2012 and I LOVE IT! Totally jumpstarted my weight loss! 231 down to 176! Im currently at 189, due to laziness and the holidays! But Im back on it to reach my goal of 165!

Terra- Good look keep pushing- I believe 1200 calories is totally obtainable if you plan you meals ahead of time!

noname- total understand when you hear or see others weigh loss and you think.....uh what am I doing wrong? Why isn't this happening for me? I get frustrating! We just gotta keep pushing, which is hard in itself!

________

Me personally Im not aiming to reach the certain wait of BMI- I want to be comfortable , healthy and fit. period.! I am doing the gym almost daily and trying to hit a 60/20/20 macro goal and 1356 calorie goal! Seems to be working well. I meal prep every 3-4 days which totally helps me stay on plan. Also training to do a 5k in May.

Last edited by lisa34t; 03-20-2014 at 11:28 AM.
lisa34t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #10  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

nonameslob ~ Before I was just walking twice a day and trying to cut back on my diet but I think having set calories I cant go over or anything will help me alot better with losing weight, I at least hope it does. I sign up for MyFitnessPal but I havent got the hang of it yet so Im hand writing in my diet journal and food log which is okay, I like writing.

lisa34t ~ Thanks for the advice, I will plan my meals ahead of time
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:28 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 320/280/160

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claygirl1518 View Post
My goal is to get healthy, back to my college weight. My husband and I are also wanting to have a baby, and I want to be physically and mentally healthy before we take that leap. So far its going well! Ive lost 8 lbs using mfp and I just bought a fitbit. I'm also planning on joining a boot camp program next week. So far I am good, except when I talk to my family. They are awful! They can be so rude About weight. I don't understand why. My grandma said today that its a good thing that I'm losing weight because I'm not pretty when I'm fat. I work very hard to control my own negative self talk, its hard when people close to you actually say it to you. I love my family, but I think I just need to ignore whatever they say about weight, its not good for me! Anyone else have this problem? How do you tune out rude and negative people?
My Nana was never that blunt. I'm sorry that you have to deal with that. My Nana's refrain was "But your face is beautiful" the unsaid part being "But your body is so NOT."
My great aunt was a freaking harpy though. I'm fat, lazy, stupid, rude, ugly, disrespectful, dramatic, over-sentimental, weak....most other negative adjectives you can think of she would also apply to me, so I feel your pain.
To tell the truth, I could never ignore the negative comments. I listen too much, and I believe them! I have insanely low self-esteem as a result. When my aunt went on her rants, if I couldn't escape the room, I would stay silent and bite the inside of my mouth until I bled. Not the best way of dealing, to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybee1 View Post
Hi everyone! Side note that a couple of you have touched on - should we really care about BMI? It seems crazy to me that it's such a renowned method for judging weight. According to my BMI, i'm supposed to be weighing 145 at the TOP end of having a "normal" weight. That number is so far off the charts for me, I don't even want to go there - i will feel too skinny, i've been curvy all my life and I like it that way! My first goal is to get to anything in the 170s (haven't ever seen that on a scale before) and my end goal would be 160 i think. But I guess I would re-evaluate at 160 if I felt I needed to lose anymore - I honestly dont know a time when I weighed only 160 so it would be really weird just adjusting to that life!
I don't focus on that. I think my ideal weight according to BMI is 120 pounds at the heaviest. D:
I think "really"?!
I know my body, I have big hips. The women in my family are short little creatures with wide hips, big boobs and big butts.
I want to look natural, which for me seems like 160+ pounds. If I weighed 110 pounds or whatever like I "should", I would look emaciated and sick, and I think I would feel just as unattractive as I do now. :/ It would be like the pendulum swinging to the opposite extreme.
ChristaCupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:47 AM   #12  

S/C/G: see ticker (in kg)

Height: 6' 3"

Hey everyone, thought i might jump in here as I'm moving on from my last method of weightloss and having a place to keep on track for my new leg should be nice.

I agree with the whole thing about BMI being nowhere near the best way to gauge weightloss, but when i started i had so much to lose that just using an overweight bmi as a goal was helpful. My new goal is actually based on estimated body fat% of around 10% which actually lines up well with the top of my healthy bmi weight range. Never thought i would get anywhere near my healthy range when i started but it seems i still have weight to lose so i may get close, if i feel i should stop earlier i will.

EDIT: Oh yeah, just noticed that it also puts me in onderland by two pounds. What an intersection of goals; 10%bf, Healthy BMI and onderland.

Last edited by ShrinkingStudent; 03-23-2014 at 06:55 AM.
ShrinkingStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #13  

I agree about BMI. For me it says I would be overweight if I was 145, which I haven't weighed since I was still growing in HS! Before my wedding I weighed about 165, and that felt right to me. Maybe when I get back there I may want to lose a little more, but for right now, my starting goal is under 200, then 180, then 165. Nothing is set in stone. But I absolutely agree that if I was the "ideal" weight for BMI (135ish) I might be just too skinny. In college I weighed 155, and I remember feeling unhealthy because I was too small. My husband (who is in the army and very fit) is "overweight" according to his BMI, because he has broad shoulders and muscles, not a bad thin to have, and definitely doesn't make you overweight. I think we should stick to our own goals, and live healthy. BMI can be a good guide, but not something to obsess over.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:56 AM   #14  
Maria

S/C/G: 253/144/129.8

Height: 5' 6"

BMI is completely unreliable if you have too much muscle. I think it's also unreliable when it comes to short or very tall people. Apparently, they came up with it based on stats they got from young male soldiers. I don't remember where I read it or what it was exactly that I read.

That said, for me it says that I should weigh up to 152 lbs and I think that it's right. I'm at 149.6 now and I'm just starting to feel thin and to fit into clothing in every store.
Marniadec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #15  
Call me NNS!

I don't know if this is a good place for this, but I didn't want to start a new thread just for this...huge non-scale victory today! I tried on all the "too small" pants in my closet today, and all four pairs fit, including my very favorite sexy pair of skinny jeans!

I went through my storage container of skinny clothes to pull out a few more pairs to keep in the closet for inspiration and there were only three pairs left. Tried them on out of curiosity, and only one pair didn't zip. The other two are just pounds away from fitting.

Holy cow guys! Its like getting a brand new wardrobe! It looks like by summer I'll be buying a whole new wardrobe. Can't wait to put on a size 14 for the first time since...? So close!