View Single Post
Old 03-18-2014, 11:05 AM   #155
gardenerjoy
Green Tomatoes

S/C/G: 241/188/183

Height: 5'9"

I've been experimenting with getting to bed earlier to improve my sleep. What has helped is setting an alarm on my phone to tell me it's time to go to bed. I'm getting to bed earlier and more relaxed and, therefore, sleeping better. Up until a few months ago, I believed that staying up late would make me tired and, therefore, I'd sleep better. But that's never worked that well for me. I go to bed too late, still have trouble sleeping, and get far too little sleep. Going to bed early means that even if I have trouble sleeping, I get more sleep. But, even better, it turns out that I have less trouble sleeping when I get to bed earlier.

DH's mother had a fall yesterday with a trip to the ER, stitches on her face, and a black eye. But she's in Florida for the month so precious little that we can do from here. Thank goodness for the kindness of people in her condo complex.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +50 890/1500 minutes for March, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: no

nationalparker: stress relief and better sleep have been primary motivators for my exercise. I also like that always feel fit enough to do what I want. If a ticket to Paris or London fell in my lap tomorrow, I could walk all day in a city. If an opportunity arose to hike in a National Park, I could do that, too -- not with a heavy pack, mind you, but that's no longer on my list of fantasy vacations.

ladym0208: I've had some luck in linking my self-esteem more with being OP and doing my exercise (the actions) and less with size and weight (the numbers). It sounds like you're making that step, too. Of course, the next step is some loving kindness for the days when the actions don't match up to my goals for myself. I have built up some success with that, too -- it helps me get back on track more quickly than I used to. And, yes, you'll always have Africa. That's going to be quite an accomplishment to look back on and say "I did that! Imagine what else I can do!"

onebyone: wonderful to read all your thoughts and understandings. I think if we had to do it again, DH and I would more seriously consider a long-term relationship without marriage, especially since we never had children. I think the wedding mostly sprang from a lack of confidence on my part -- I admire women who don't need that symbol. The years together are much more symbolic of the relationship than anything else. I just realized that DH and I met 25 years ago this month -- thanks, I would never have computed that had we not had this conversation.

Project: back to goal, 5 pounds at a time
My goal story: Fifty and feeling fabulous!
Visit Joy's Book Blog -- I review cookbooks and diet books most Saturdays!