Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 03:12 PM   #1  
Diva526

Default 3rd Day on Induction- HELP!!

Well, it's my 3rd day and I'm beginning to think perhaps this diet and my body just don't agree w/ each other.
I feel horribly, horribly nauseous and haven't been sleeping well since I started.
I'm drinking my usual 80 oz of water (I used to be on WW and got into the water thing)
I'm hungry, and even though I'm not really craving carbs, the thought of eating another piece of meat makes me physically gag.

I know people usually feel a little "off" during the first days of induction, but I feel so bad I just want to sit on the couch and cry.
I felt so nauseous yesterday I couldnt go to the gym- if I can't exercise then how the heck am I going to lose weight?
I know everyone says to go out and buy a bunch of supplements but, quite honestly, I dont have the $ to waste on supplements if I'm just going to end up quitting in the end.
I don't want to quit because i'm very stubborn, and also because I'm afraid if I quit my body will freak out and I'll end up gaining weight.

I just can't see how I'm going to keep going if I feel so sick, and how something that's making me feel this bad could be good for me.

I lost 20 lbs doing weight watchers, but had gotten bored w/ it and decided to try Atkins because I figured it would be a sure fire way to lose some pounds before my wedding in June.

I am so incredibly frustrated I feel like I could cry!
I made my poor fiance spend $120 dollars last time we went grocery shopping to get me equipped for induction, and now if I tell him I'm quitting I'll feel so awful.

HELP, HELP, HELP!
Old 01-15-2004, 03:32 PM   #2  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Hi Diva. Well I'd like to say that your reaction to Atkins is normal but everyone is different. I'd say that you must have one heck of a reaction when not eating carbs, funny how dependant we are on them!! You don't just have to eat meat....chicken wings, eggs, fish, cheddar cheese, kalamatta olives, feta cheese, bacon, celery and cream cheese, .....need I say more? You do have the book don't you? If not, then I would strong suggest you visit their website if you don't want to invest any more hard earned money in this venture. I guess being prepared is the one best advice I can give you. Are you drinking soda's still? Caffeine is a no no and all types of sugar (sucralose, fructose, corn syrup, inverted sugars etc)Splenda is the only sweetner you can have. Another thing,If you are just eating meat then I think you'd better re-think this. 20 gr.Carbs can come what I just listed but also 2 cups of salad. I think maybe you aren't eating enough. Zero carb foods are good but 20 is apparently the magic number to strive for. Don't get discouraged...give it a good 5 days to go thru those withdrawls. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
Old 01-15-2004, 03:33 PM   #3  

diva526: I'm certainly not the expert on this board.....I have lost only 12 pounds with this WOE and that has taken me almost 3 1/2 months.
I too felt horrible when I first started. I was sick to my stomach and had a wicked headache. It all went away. I would tell you to just hang in there but don't worry if you decide to stop. This woe isn't for everyone.

I only eat meat once a day, unless I have some turkey in a salad or something. I couldn't eat meat at every meal. I am not a veggie eater so I eat salads once or even twice a day sometimes. Are you a veggie eater? Eggs make me sick first thing in the morning so I make quiches with lots of cheese and pepperoni in them so they don't taste like eggs

I don't take supplements either, I can barely remember to take my multi vitamin each morning never mind added supplements!

I haven't worked out either since I started this plan, I am just starting to incorporate that now. Not that is the best thing to do...maybe I would be down more if I had but it just wasn't in me. I accepted that a long time ago. Maybe hold off on the exercise until after the first couple of weeks then take it up again when you feel better.

Don't worry about the wedding either...I worried so much about my "size" before my wedding last year that I actually GAINED weight! Just take one day at a time. You can do this. If not that is ok too.

..............Boy looking at what I just wrote makes me look pretty bad but I believe that what I am doing is fine and the weight is coming off slowly and that is ok with me. If I did all the things I mentioned above maybe it would come off faster but maybe it wouldn't.

Last edited by jane8760; 01-15-2004 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-15-2004, 03:44 PM   #4  
Searching

Bok Choy Make yourself some lovely colorful stirfry's easy on the oil and the soy. I have to say when I first quit the sugar, I didn't get sick just sad. Mourning the loss of all my "comfort" foods (which aresn't really comfortable at all, just made me lazy, tired, and fat).

I hope you start feeling better.
Miss Chris
Old 01-15-2004, 04:00 PM   #5  
Movin' and Losin'

Diva: I'm sorry that you're feeling so bad. I can relate, as I think many others can. I felt terrible the first three days on this WOE as well. I had a constant, miserable headache. I also felt sick and very, very weak. I did not attempt any exercise during the first few weeks because I just didn't have the energy. I felt like giving up as well. But, I managed to stick it out.

Things got better by Day Four of induction, and they keep getting better and better. I have more energy than before, never get tired after meals like I used to, am always satisfied, and the best thing, I'm losing weight!! I slowly added exercise back in and have been doing more than I ever have before.

If you stick it out, I think you'll love the benefits of this WOE. But, like others said, this WOE isn't for everyone. You have to find what works for you!

Hang in there!

Take care,
Jina
Old 01-15-2004, 04:11 PM   #6  
Head Princess

Diva - withdrawl is not a fun experience! That's what it sounds like you're going through.

What are you eating? It's incredibly important that you're eating a good variety of vegetables so you get all your nutrients. Contrary to popular belief, this is not a meat and cheese diet. This is more like life without carb addictions.

If you'd be willing to post a sample day's eating for you, I'm sure we can give you better feedback
Old 01-15-2004, 04:45 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 330/265/175

Hey Diva! Just stick with it, a little bit longer and I'm sure you'll find yourself feeling better than before! For me, I don't take any supplements beyond a multi-vitamin every morning, so I've kept it simple for now. I feel good, so I'm going with that at the moment. Maybe finding the right low-carb dip/salad dressing for your veggies would make a good snack for when you're feeling hungry. Keep us posted!
Old 01-15-2004, 08:11 PM   #8  
Baby Steps

Diva- I don't remember being sick to my stomach but I remember not sleeping well and then I ended up with major headaches (my DH still says I was talking about him). lol. I agree with what the rest said. This WOE isn't for everyone. My sisters all started Atkins with me. One switched to South Beach. I'm waiting to see how long/if they stick with it. As I told my sister-it's working for me. If it's not for her she needs to decide for herself what she wants to do w/out judgement from me or anyone else. So remember--you're the only judge of you
Old 01-17-2004, 01:39 AM   #9  
Princess in Training

day 3 I felt icky...today (day 4) I drank more water and ate veggies until I got to exactly 20 carbs. I felt wonderful. Maybe this will help? Or maybe I just got over detox today and what I did had no impact At day 3 my legs hurt and I had a headache. This morning, after having a delish omlete out, a man actually commented that I had a "spring in my step" and looked very happy. I've had very little cravings so far past the first day--this comes from someone who has been actively a binge eater, bulimic, and general food addict for years. I went so far as to join self help and 12 step groups for food issues, but never got through a day without my beloved sugar. To go through the last few days hardly even caring about food is amazing.
Closed Thread