Thread: Fiber Counting?
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 11:55 AM   #110
pattygirl63

S/C/G: 238/217.6/135

Height: 5'2'

My fasting blood sugar was up today. I think it was the veggie burger I ate on the HF English muffin last night. As a diabetic, I have to not only watch sugar but being too carby. Also the sodium is a problem that I have to deal with, but the good news is that I was still under 230 and in fact had lost another .2 of a lb. My bp was a little higher than usual for me, but still good for my weight. So overall it was good. The bp being up a little tells me not to eat a veggie burger on the HF/LS English muffin at night.

I actually find that a lot of this with me is learning what works for my body.
I've learned over the years that just because a doctor, a diet, etc even the ADA says I can eat a certain food is not gospel and it may not work for my body. I've learned a lot of what I can and cannot eat through experience.
For example, oatmeal is supposed to be a really great diabetic food. I couldn't eat it for a while because it spiked my blood sugar so high. When I switched to instant Steel Cut oats, I had no problem with it. However, a serving of instant Steel Cut oats is 1/4 c dry. One day I got to thinking about it and wondered what would happen if I ate 1/4 c dry regular oats instead of the 1/2 c serving. So I tried it. I was thrilled to learn that it worked just fine for me. I seem to have learned that with the fiber foods as well. I seem to be able to handle between 30 anf 40 g fiber well, but if I go higher I'm not sure I do. I've got to learn more about sodium results in the diets etc.

Lilliann I know that it takes more time and work to do this, but from what I see this is how Steelslady has learned what works for her and I know this is what I'm having to do. For me, I think it is the difference in success and failure. One diet or way of eating DOES NOT fit all. So byy all means don't give up and do find out what works for you. You will be glad that you did. Good luck on your journey.

Steelslady You actually inspire me to keep on keeping on. I your experience and see what may be happening with me and it helps me even more to understand what my body is telling me about what I am doing and why. Thank you for being willing to share.

I am going to continue counting my calories as I believe that is important for me and now that I know how to watch the Fiber, I'm going to just relax and enjoy what I'm doing. MFP makes it so easy for me to keep up with the both counts. I will also do some research to see if I can learn more about how sodium affects the body and if it affects the blood sugar. I have always read labels, but I am learning that I am beginning to have to read for more information on it than before. Started reading carb counts, then calories, then fiber and now more on sodium. I am studying nutrition more now than ever.

Y'all have a good day!!

Trish

If you eat when you are not hungry, you just overate!!!

pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote