Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 03-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

Default What the heck does it mean to be called thick?

Hey there 3FC!

Hope this thread is in the right spot! So this weekend I went to a friend's party, and there were two guys DJing. My friend came up to me and said, one of the DJs wanted my number. This NEVER happens to me so I asked her " Are you sure he meant me?" I'm a little older than most people at this party (it was a bday party for a 22 yr old) so anyway, she says "No, he pointed at the person wearing all black at the table, pretty, kinda thick", so I was really flattered until I heard the word thick, does that mean fat?!

I've looked it up online it seems like it's someone who's fat but holds their weight well? I just hate the way that word sounds lol! I know I'm fat, I mean being completely honest I wasn't offended by him calling me that, but I thought it seemed like a weird thing to say to a girl, if you wanted her number? Right?! What do you guys think?
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Thick opposite of thin ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

My guy friend just told me (he has said thick to describe a girl so I texted him for you) that for him and his buddies it means a girl who is big but still proportional. He happens to love thick girls so take it as compliment!
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Thick opposite of thin ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLib View Post
My guy friend just told me (he has said thick to describe a girl so I texted him for you) that for him and his buddies it means a girl who is big but still proportional. He happens to love thick girls so take it as compliment!
Haha! Thank you! Yes, I'm thinking I will take it as a compliment now lol
Old 03-16-2014, 06:52 PM   #5  
On my way to -70

S/C/G: 202/192/132lbs

Height: 5'4''

I think it means that you wear your curves well, in the right places. I think I'm a thick person. Even at my thinnest I'm not skinny; I have my curves, I'm muscular, etc. So I will never be "model" thin. I would have been taken aback by someone calling me "thick" but it's funny anyway.

The most important question here is... Did you give him your number!?
Paulitens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've only ever heard it used by guys in a complimentary way when talking about women they're attracted to. I don't hear it much in Wisconsin, but in Illinois was fairly common, and generally used only for women in the "barely overweight" range, and usually by guys on the younger side.

The equivalent in old guy speak is "I like a woman with some meat on her bones."
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:29 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulitens View Post
I think it means that you wear your curves well, in the right places. I think I'm a thick person. Even at my thinnest I'm not skinny; I have my curves, I'm muscular, etc. So I will never be "model" thin. I would have been taken aback by someone calling me "thick" but it's funny anyway.

The most important question here is... Did you give him your number!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I've only ever heard it used by guys in a complimentary way when talking about women they're attracted to. I don't hear it much in Wisconsin, but in Illinois was fairly common, and generally used only for women in the "barely overweight" range, and usually by guys on the younger side.

The equivalent in old guy speak is "I like a woman with some meat on her bones."
Thanks guys! It was the first time I've heard of this, ever actually. It isn't pleasant sounding (to me at least) to say a girl is thick, I don't know maybe it's me something about it sounds off, but I guess I will take it as a compliment! haha

I actually didn't end up giving him my number, by the end of the night when I saw him again, he was drinking excessively which really turned me off, and he was hired to play at the party so it seemed a little unprofessional. He also looked MUCH younger than me, so I didn't bother and my friend didn't ask me again either.

I get so awkward when people give me compliments, even like this one! If he had talked to me and say something I would have had no idea how to respond.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:38 AM   #8  
Blessed Person Here

S/C/G: Going/Still going/Gone

Height: 5' 1''

"No, he pointed at the person wearing all black at the table, pretty, kinda thick",

First, make sure your friend didn't add that herself Honestly, I don't think she NEEDED to add that, even if that's what he said. Women are....
Anyway...
Even if he said it, think of it of something like an elegant way of saying heavy or fat. I don't think it would have been diplomatic of him to tell your friend: " "No, he pointed at the person wearing all black at the table, pretty, kinda FAT".
I personally do not believe in the fact that he used that word because he has a preference for not-so-thin women.
thirti4thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:19 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

OK can I throw in my 2 cents too? Anytime I heard the term thick I always thought they meant someone who is heavy by that their fat is solid or tight looking. Sorry this is a bad description! I have a "soft" fat. Looks jiggly and spongy. I always wanted to be thick! I think of a well trained female athlete who has a large frame, a layer of fat, and is solid! Total compliment!
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirti4thirty View Post
"No, he pointed at the person wearing all black at the table, pretty, kinda thick",

First, make sure your friend didn't add that herself Honestly, I don't think she NEEDED to add that, even if that's what he said. Women are....
Anyway...
Even if he said it, think of it of something like an elegant way of saying heavy or fat. I don't think it would have been diplomatic of him to tell your friend: " "No, he pointed at the person wearing all black at the table, pretty, kinda FAT".
I personally do not believe in the fact that he used that word because he has a preference for not-so-thin women.
I don't think she would add that in herself, I've known her since I was 2 yrs old and we're both in the weightloss journey together. I think she just wanted to tell me word for word what he said. But I see your point! It isn't the best thing to say I suppose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vealcalf2000 View Post
OK can I throw in my 2 cents too? Anytime I heard the term thick I always thought they meant someone who is heavy by that their fat is solid or tight looking. Sorry this is a bad description! I have a "soft" fat. Looks jiggly and spongy. I always wanted to be thick! I think of a well trained female athlete who has a large frame, a layer of fat, and is solid! Total compliment!
LOL, of course vealcalf!! I think that description is what I've seen floating around the internet too. Although I have to say, I'm very jiggly now, nothing feels tight or firm!! I would love to look like a trained athlete and be toned!! I don't have access to a gym though, so for now cardio will have to suffice.

Thanks for the responses ladies!!
Old 03-17-2014, 04:11 PM   #11  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

As long as thick wasn't referring to your mental status, you're probably good
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:23 PM   #12  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

My husband had to have heart test done because he is too "thick" for them to hear what they needed to hear. and needed more testing. We just laughed. So hopefully one day he will be thin and no longer thick!!

Last edited by TamTam; 03-17-2014 at 04:24 PM. Reason: needed to better explain
TamTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:29 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojane View Post
As long as thick wasn't referring to your mental status, you're probably good
That is what we always used the term "thick" for. It meant they weren't too bright, like never "getting" jokes. etc. So when I read the op's statement, I thought, "if you have to ask, you might be thick" lol. I am just kidding, I never have heard it used in the context being explained here. who knew?
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:32 PM   #14  

hahaha! You guys are funny, I've heard of thick= stupid or thick-headed? I thought it was more of a UK thing? My cousins in London always use it that way.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #15  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Every time I've heard the term "thick" to describe a person, it was a way of saying they weren't that bright, not that they were fat.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote