Old 03-13-2014, 08:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 321.2/250.6/199

Height: 5'8"

Default I hate salad!

I am doing the alternative IP plan but am really struggling with the amount of salad I'm supposed to eat. Don't get me wrong - I love cucumbers, celery, bell peppers, etc. but I just cannot stand eating a salad. I don't like the taste or texture of lettuce or spinach.

I'm not sure how to address this. Can I just eat the veggies that I would put into a salad without eating the actual lettuce/spinach and that's sufficient? Am I alone in my disdain for salad? What do you all do?
Mulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:08 PM   #2  

Location: Frederick Colorado (about 20 miles north of Denver)

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I don't like salad very much either. My coaches really promote eating 4+ cups of lettuce per day. She gave a technique/recipe for putting it in a shake:

2 cups romaine
1 packet IP wildberry yogurt drink
2tablespoons WF marshmallow dip
Mix above in blender then add 5 Ice cubes

I do this for breakfast and lunch.

I have heard other people use other drinks and then add lettuce and blend in the blender.

Hope this helps.
ColoradoCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:14 PM   #3  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

I don't eat a lot of salads - I use the lettuce as "filler" for munching on when I get the "need to put something in my mouth" feeling. I eat the veggies separate.

Lettuce is unlimited and optional - some people do IP/alternatives without it. If you aren't have any issues (the water in lettuce can help with the Big C) I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Is it all lettuce you don't like or just specific ones? Iceberg, romaine, bibb, etc. all have different textures and tastes.
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:21 PM   #4  

Location: Frederick Colorado (about 20 miles north of Denver)

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Ruth Ann - my coaches promote romaine. I have a continual problem with the big C. The clinic director (chiro). Feels lettuce is key to getting the weight off quicker. You have done well without using it.

I am willing to try the 4+ cups per day if it will come off sooner
ColoradoCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

It seems in general there are LOTS of benefits to adding the free lettuce in addition to the 4 cups of veggies. It also seems that eating it often results in bigger losses for some people (not all)... BUT, it is not a required component of IP protocol.

You may find that over time your taste for it might change, so don't rule it out completely forever.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:56 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 321.2/250.6/199

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
Is it all lettuce you don't like or just specific ones? Iceberg, romaine, bibb, etc. all have different textures and tastes.
I can stand romaine more than the others, but before IP it was always coated in a thick, creamy salad dressing

I guess I'll just suck it up (I prefer larger losses to the smaller ones )
Mulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/155/140

Height: 5'4"

I've been adding jarred banana peppers to my salads and it's been transformative. They are salty, tangy, and make a huge difference in my enjoyment of the salad, as do finely sliced red onions. I think I'd be done with salads by now if it weren't for those two ingredients, but I actually look forward to my lunchtime salad every day.
trinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 278.3 / 156.5 / 180

Hey, Mulse, I'm right there with you. I just started last week and it didn't take more than a couple of days of eating salads to feel like those 4 cups of veggies per day were enough to choke a horse! So I've been looking for alternatives; zucchini chips are working and I can eat them a cup at a time, no problem. I also enlisted the help of the two vegetarians I work with--asked them for their favorite recipes. One asked what restrictions I'm under, so I emailed him the P1 profile sheet. I'll post recipes to the recipe thread when/if I get anything.

Oh, one thing I tried for lunch today with the chicken soup packet, at someone else's suggestion (probably someone here): I broke up 1 cup of broccoli florets into pretty small pieces and microwave-steamed them, then threw them in the chicken soup. Worked well, and I only needed one more cup of veg for that meal.

I'm still looking for interesting veg ideas, though. Purees look promising, if I can get my blender to puree things completely, and maybe a roasted-pepper-and-raw-onion salsa (I live somewhere with good Mexican food, and I'm already starting to miss it!)

As far as lettuce, my coach definitely told me it was optional, so I don't eat much of it. Romaine leaves as fajita shells have been about it so far.
Fearciuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:41 PM   #9  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoCarol View Post
Ruth Ann - my coaches promote romaine. I have a continual problem with the big C. The clinic director (chiro). Feels lettuce is key to getting the weight off quicker. You have done well without using it.

I am willing to try the 4+ cups per day if it will come off sooner
Oh, I'm eating lettuce Carol just not as a salad. I have a tupperware container that I fill up with lettuce in the morning and then snack on it in the afternoon (that's my really hard time) at work. I probably get in 3-4 cups of it a day. I kind of slack on it on the weekends, for some reason I don't get the snack urge when I'm at home. Go figure.
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:53 PM   #10  
AmberLS

S/C/G: High 298, IP-250/182/165

Height: 5ft 5in

First what is the Big C? And second I don't eat a bunch of lettuce every day, I too did it during transition days as a filler, now the only time I eat it is for lettuce wraps with dinner. It is my understanding that it is not a must but it is unlimited so if a person is hungry. I just haven't found a dressing I like, I'm a huge ranch fan so not doing well with the salad part. I love veggies though!
AmberLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:11 PM   #11  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

AmberLS- Big C is constipation.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:21 AM   #12  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

I sometimes add a kosher dill pickle to my salad for a different flavor.

Also, I sautee fresh garlic, chopped red and green peppers, and mushrooms in some evoo at lunchtime. Salt and pepper. Then I pour the IP mixed soup on top of that right into the frying pan. I love this with the broc-cheese soup, the chicken soup (I add curry powder to this one), the leek soup, and the a la king potage mix (more curry powder). This way I get 1 cup of veggies in it and it's thick with goodies.

Try romaine lettuce. If you still don't like it, wait a month then try it again. I found that my taste buds changed as I continued on the diet.
joysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:40 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 233/233/130

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulse View Post
I can stand romaine more than the others, but before IP it was always coated in a thick, creamy salad dressing

I guess I'll just suck it up (I prefer larger losses to the smaller ones )
You can make the following salad dressing recipe ( I LOVE it and no longer buy WF which I cant stand)

1/3 c apple cider vinegar
1 shallot minced
1 egg white
1 tsp. Dijon or spicy mustard
Juice from half a lemon or line (optional)
1/1 to 1 full packet splenda or sweetener
1 c EVOO

In the blender mix all the ingredients EXCEPT the EVOO for abt 3-5 mins. Slowly add in the EVOO your dressing will be this thick and creamy super yummy emulsion that you can dip anything in

This can help the no taste of lettuce trust me. I LOVE salad and all the good stuff in it so I am good!
sarahBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:18 AM   #14  
AmberLS

S/C/G: High 298, IP-250/182/165

Height: 5ft 5in

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandie View Post
AmberLS- Big C is constipation.
Well that makes sense, I've been lucky to avoid this!
AmberLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:59 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 215/159.2/135

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinny View Post
I've been adding jarred banana peppers to my salads and it's been transformative. They are salty, tangy, and make a huge difference in my enjoyment of the salad, as do finely sliced red onions. I think I'd be done with salads by now if it weren't for those two ingredients, but I actually look forward to my lunchtime salad every day.
This is a great idea!
murphypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote