Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 06:15 AM   #1  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Maintainers Springing Loose those last few @*lbs@*kgs@*!

Welcome to our spring thread! Yes, within a few weeks it will be the vernal equinox in the northern hemisphere. The snow will retreat, the winds will abate and the rain will lessen. We'll start to venture outdoors a little more.

In the southern hemisphere, the overpowering heat of summer will soon be giving way to autumn. A glorious time to be out and about.

These @*lbs@*kgs@* have to go and this is the place to talk about tactics and strategy. Whether you're changing your approach or sticking to the tried and trusted, tell us what and how you're doing. We'll encourage and cajole. And at any moment, a snatch of someone else's post can stick in your mind and offer you the germ of an idea. As I said, these @*lbs@*kgs@* simply have to go. And go they shall.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I was down 8 or 9 but this weekend wasn't too good for me. I'll start counting again when I re-re-re lose the pound or two I gained over the weekend.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

One of my lost pounds found me again. I was kinda surprised because I kept calories low, worked out, and donated blood. I asked the blood gal (phlebotomist?) how much the blood weighs that you donate and she said about a pound. However, my back is killing me still (back to the chiropractor tonight again) and I'm taking anti-inflammatories so I'll blame that.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #4  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

I'm happy with the slow dwindlage of my @*lbs@*kgs@* so far this winter. Wish I wasn't so hard on myself for having put them back on. I hate pounds that returned after diligently chasing them away.

DW wants me to buy some pants that can have anti-tick material sprayed on them. (Lyme disease from deer ticks is a bit frightening.) So I have to lose the last few pounds to comfortably fit my current trousers or spray a pair that are slightly big. This projecting future weight isn't a sure thing, LOL.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #5  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I've been quiet lately but am still here, working off the last pounds via my preferred method for losing (the only one that comfortably works for me these days). I'm down 13-ish pounds since I began, only about two pounds above my previous all-time low, and I've got another twenty or thirty to go, I think. We'll see.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Meat in a net for dinner - some sort of pork/ham/MSG mixture. Threw it in the slow cooker this morning with shanghai bok choy and mushrooms (close to compost veggies so had to do something with them) and some lite mushroom soup. I sang the "Spam, spam, spam spam" song the whole time I was eating it. I know DH won't touch it so I have my dinner for the next 4 nights or so - it was a BIG net.

We save on our food budget by buying all the meat that's marked down. This wasn't on sale but was a bargain price. Now I know why. As a science experiment the dinner was edible but not really good or tasty. Gotta love that slow cooker though - I had a hot meal ready for me with about 15 minutes prep in the morning. After slogging around in a snowstorm all day anything hot and fast is good in my book. And I get 4 dinners for about 15 bucks total - great since DH may be unemployed as of Thursday.

Dagmar
Old 02-18-2014, 07:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Our local grocery store has a section in the meats for buy one get one free.
They put together all the fixings for fajitas (steak or chicken all cut up with the peppers and onions wrapped separately). Two packages of that is maybe $3 or $4 and will feed us both for dinner and leftovers for lunch and all we need to add is the tortilla. They have all kinds of cuts of meat--some seasoned for specific dishes. Talk about a time and money saver!

Last night I made a chicken and black bean panini that is to die for! It called for two chicken breasts and that was way too much chicken so I have some seasoned and cooked chicken for tomorrow night's chef salad.

Off to obedience class with Bogey in a little bit. Can't believe I took my Up band off this morning to charge and forgot to put it back on. Walking steps will be all out of whack!
Old 02-19-2014, 05:29 AM   #8  

One of my eating problems in winter is drinking . I really don't like to drink plain water, particularly in winter. DH got 3 flats of water on sale this weekend and I'm putting out 2 bottles (totalling one litre) every morning and making sure I drink them during the day. And I had a glass of low fat milk as a bedtime snack last night, rather than fruit or jellybeans.

I felt much less stressed going to bed and slept for 7 hours straight (the Mudpie yowling alarm woke me about 30 minutes before my clock alarm). Usually I sleep for about 4-5 hours, wake up, and never know whether I can get back to sleep of not. Whenever I am well-hydrated I seem to sleep more.

I keep taking stabs at being well-hydrated but didn't figure out a system, until now. In the warmer months I hope to incorporate another bottle of water into the mix at lunchtime. I find if I chug them I can get a 500ml bottle down in one go.

Dagmar
Old 02-19-2014, 06:02 AM   #9  
in development

Tell me what 'chug' actually means, if you wouldn't mind? The way you're using it here sounds a bit technical.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:39 AM   #10  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/sM...SPRINT-CUP.JPG

Chug: To gulp one's drink with great avidity; often used to describe the way a frat boy attacks a pitcher of beer.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:45 AM   #11  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Yay, new thread! I don't have anything new or interesting to report as far as my @*lbs@*kgs@*. I gained a couple this winter and intend to remove them during the span of this thread. I will update my ticker to represent today's reality.

dagmar, it never occurred to me that there might be a connection between hydration and sleep. I'm not usually a "good" sleeper and am always on the hunt for ways to improve things. I'll have to add this to the mix.

bill, I agree, future weight projections are dicey at best. Lyme disease definitely adds a new dimension to a spontaneous walk in the woods. I hope this long winter has been mercilessly difficult for those little b ... bugs.

michele, wishing you good thoughts on resolving the back problems quickly.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #12  

Thanks Becky. I went to the chiropractor last night and he said I was the worst he had seen me. All of my progress wiped out. Wish I know what I did. I really don't like taking anti-inflammatories so I'm trying today without one but that may be a mistake.

I'm having lunch today with Henry Winkler! So excited I couldn't sleep! It is an author luncheon so I don't know what my lunch will be but I'm trying not to be anxious about that. I have a lot of events coming up with uncertain food choices-- they tend to make me a tad anxious. Friday night is a dinner/auction for my school. It starts at 6 pm. My yoga ends at 6 pm. I'd hate to miss yoga AND eat foods that aren't likely on plan. I *think* I'm going to tell the teacher I have to leave at 5:45 and then I'll shower and put on my makeup, etc. at yoga-- hopefully I'd be to the auction no later than 6:30 which I think constitutes fashionably late? I know that dinner is served at 7:30 and the event goes till 11:00 pm. I'll have to be organized with my clothes, makeup, and jewelry though....
Old 02-19-2014, 04:04 PM   #13  
in development

Streak is 50. (I did post here yesterday but, pouf, it's gone. Strange.)

Michele, sorry about your back. Did it happen after you did two yoga sessions together? (Trying not to say b... to b...)

saef, thanks for chug definition. Here, a chugger is someone who stops you in the street and tries to get you to sign up to supporting a charity through a direct debit on your bank account. (A completely stupid idea, in my view.)

dagmar, I'm enjoying a lot of herbal tea at present. And normal tea, particularly Earl Grey and orange pekoe - I take it very weak with no milk (always have done).

Taryl,

Everyone, I'm enormously tired. I've given up my gymn membership and am doing all my exercises at home. It means I am really able to focus on the muscle and the result is a very good workout and complete exhaustion in the evening.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #14  

We had a beautiful spring-like day here. I shucked off my 40 lb. winter coat in favour of my "other 3 seasons" jacket and it was amazing how much more energy I had for the day.

But after I got home from the dogs' dinner walk suddenly someone pulled the plug. Maybe it's because I didn't have an extra tea at lunch or in the late afternoon. I had canned soup and a sandwich for dinner - DH is late and can forage for himself - and now I'm about ready for bed - at 7 p.m.

think I'll park myself in my recliner and force myself to read a bit about Peter Dinklage - who is on this month's Esquire cover. We watch Game of Thrones pretty much for his character only.

Dagmar
Old 02-19-2014, 11:10 PM   #15  

Birchie... I literally have no idea what I did. It's very frustrating to say the least.
Closed Thread