View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014, 10:25 AM   #38
yoyoma

S/C/G: 180/ticker/139

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgeog View Post
I am thriving on no grains and low carb and high fat and that is more than good enough for me.
It's fantastic that you've found a WOE that works for you. Many of us (including me) have found that a low-carb approach that resembles your WOE more than the SAD is effective.

But many people have found an effective WOE in which carbs play a major role. Some of your absolute statements dismiss their success. Just as some of the conventional-wisdom ("everything in moderation") folks sometimes make absolute statements that dismiss the success of low-carb approaches for some people.

The science as to *why* low-carb approaches work well for *some* people is not yet completely settled. I think Taubes does a good job of discrediting the lipid hypothesis, but he doesn't do a great job of supporting his own insulin hypothesis.

But, honestly, aside from curiosity, the why is secondary to me. I, and I think most people, are more interested in black-box results, assuming that there is enough research to show that a given approach is safe. I think our collective experience shows that a high carb diet can be very effective for some people, but a low carb diet is very effective for some other people. There does not seem to be any evidence that all people need to follow a low carb approach (or vice versa). But people who have trouble managing their weight using conventional wisdom should at least consider a low carb approach.

Last edited by yoyoma : 03-16-2014 at 10:29 AM.