Thread: March Chat
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2014, 02:04 PM   #67
Wannabehealthy
Struggling Dieter

Rennie - Good job on the 164.8.

I am thinking about changing things around. I want to try steel cut oats. I am trying to use up the oatmeal I have now. I made some oatmeal cookies for DH and this morning I had a small bowl of oatmeal instead of my eggs. It's instant oatmeal and I know it's not as healthy as the steel cut oats, but I don't want to waste it. I have always felt that oatmeal had too many carbs for my diabetes, but others have told me that it helps with their FBS. I really like oatmeal, but I also like eggs, which I think are better for my diabetes because of low carb. Today I had egg substitute for lunch with mushrooms, onions and tomato since I didn't have them for breakfast. When I was in the hospital, they gave me both for breakfast. My BS went down and I lost weight. So much food, so little time! LOL I have to figure out how I'm going to do this. Since I eat dinner with DH that has to be based on something we both like, unless we eat out, at which time we can both make our own choices. Maybe I can stay with the egg for breakfast and add oatmeal like they did in the hospital,or eat the oatmeal as a snack in the evening. I don't want to be adding more calories. And then I have to remember my steamed kale and other greens. I don't want to eliminate those, or the beans. Maybe I just need to vary my menu instead of eating the same thing every day and trying to fit everything in.

I am also going to make some homemade yogurt again. Someone on another board mixes it with chopped fruit and cinnamon and then tops it with some original Fiber One cereal. That would add fruit, fiber and cinnamon along with the nutrition from the yogurt. Maybe I could alternate it with the oatmeal in the morning, with my egg.

I guess I am posting this to try to convince myself that this will be a positive change. I like to eat foods that I like but are also healthy.

Does anyone else have any experience with oatmeal that they would like to share? Has it been helpful, or do you get a spike? I realize everyone is different.