View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #23
JohnP
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

This type of thread is exactly why I post on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiKai View Post
And that diet drinks may be even worse than regular sugar-sweetened sodas! How does that happen?

1) Artificial sweeteners are hundreds to thousands of times sweeter than regular sugar, activating our genetically-programmed preference for sweet taste more than any other substance.
2) They trick your metabolism into thinking sugar is on its way. This causes your body to pump out insulin, the fat storage hormone, which lays down more belly fat.
3) It also confuses and slows your metabolism down, so you burn fewer calories every day.
4) It makes you hungrier and crave even more sugar and starchy carbs like bread and pasta.
5) In animal studies, the rats that consumed artificial sweeteners ate more, their metabolism slowed, and they put on 14 percent more body fat in just two weeks -- even eating fewer calories.
1) Really? What about me? I'd sooooo much rather have a juicy steak than a candy bar. I guess I'm unique? Oh this statement is rediculous.

2) False. In some people there is a very small amount of insulin released. Total hyperbole here folks.

3) Haha this one is my favorite. I needed a good laugh.

4) In some people this is true in other the opposite is true. Out of all the points - this is the only reason in my opinion that people should avoid diet soda. If it triggers further cravings. For me and others it satisfies these cravings.

5) We are not rats.

I've looked at a lot of data and research in this area and the best study done in my opinion was in France still had a major problem. It relied on self reporting. People are terrible at self reporting.

In my opinion the correllation of diet soda to being obese is simply caused by people who think that drinking diet soda gives them more wiggle room than they think. Drank diet so I guess now I can have 4 cookies instead of 2. It's like the people who go to the gym and burn 450 calories in a workout and then have a bigger meal or extra desert because they earned it.

Maintaining for two years and I eat whatever I want - just not however much I want. Details here.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote