View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014, 06:55 PM   #22
Wannabeskinny

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
If someone else points this out, are they fat shaming me? Or are they just saying it like it is? I think it depends on what they say. If someone starts harping on my appearance and saying unkind things just to tear me down, that's fat shaming or bullying. But if someone simply states a fact- I'm overweight and I need to stop seeking excuses and start taking control- well, that's just the truth, no matter how painful it is to hear.
If someone points out that you are eating too much and not working out then no, that's not fat shame. But if someone (as she did) points out that women shouldn't be proud to wear lingerie and feel good in it because it sends a message of poor health then YES that is fat shaming!! How does she know that the 250 woman she's looking at in a photo hasn't already lost 100lbs and is feeling good about herself? How does she know that the 195lb woman she views as obese doesn't already feel healthy and beautiful? Passing judgement on how someone looks and belittling them for how they feel us is the very definition of fat shaming.

“If you try to lose weight by shaming, depriving and fearing yourself, you will end up shamed, deprived, and afraid.” Geneen Roth
Wannabeskinny is offline   Reply With Quote