Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 07:02 AM   #1  

Default IP Daily Chat

Welcome back to the Daily Chat thread - post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-scale victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms
OP = on plan

Bookmarking:
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home page
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.

Information for newbies:
Check the sticky page (top of forum, above all the topics) for lots of good information and please read here before asking what might be a frequently asked question: Information on Ideal Protein phases (1-4), IP Ultimate List Recipes, FAQ, Newbie Guide, Exercise, and other Important Threads,
and here are the most recent Ideal Protein Protocol sheets

And before you cheat, read this thread:
The Real Cost of Cheating on Ideal Protein

Before starting new threads: spend some time reading the forum. Most new threads are duplicates, triplicates, quadruplicates. Folks who are the most successful, make time for research/reading.

More Recipes Here Mix'n in the kitchen...Recipes from the Rainbow
MiX'N' iN THE KiTCH'N.... Recipes from the Rainbow Volume 2
Fun with Ideal Protein Packets
Fun with Veggie Purees!
Ideal Protein Diet Recipes #4
Tips and Recipes from the Incredible Weight Loss Center

For those looking for alternative products

Here is a thread with tons of info. Spend some time in it. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...phase-1-a.html
And here is a link to a chart to help you choose appropriate products

Tickers and Signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days AND posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum. When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread for more information and instructions.

Quoting:
The best quoting tip - EVER!! Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Searching:
If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using the "double search" using Google.

1) Go to Google.com. Search 3fatchicks by using the term site:3fatchicks.com at the end of your Google search.

For example, if you want to look for "big mac in a bowl", type "big mac in a bowl site:3fatchicks.com" in Google search. No need to include the quotation marks when you type.

2) This will bring up the page that you are looking for, now hit Ctrl+F to search on that page. Type "big mac in a bowl" and all instances of that search term will be highlighted.

Progress photos
Mini-Goal Photo Album.

Other helpful links related to the Ideal Protein Dr. Chanh Tran Tien's website
Old 03-12-2014, 08:06 AM   #2  
Third time's the charm!

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Good morning!

Regarding the fit it, I was hoping for something with a heart rate monitor since I am mostly just standing at work, I wanted to track calories burned, not just how many I burned from walking. Bummer.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

Yesterday, my life with IP came to a grinding and frantic stop! Months and months of being 100% IP changed in a flash. My life has been very, very stressful lately and mentally, I had a tantrum. I think normally I would have had mechanisms in place to deal with it all, but that framework of logically working things out is gone for the moment.

I think the key to it all is the moving process. We have sold our family home and I am sorting and packing 25 years of children and life. Emotionally, that is both sweet and bittersweet.

In the meanwhile, we are moving to a rented house half the size of our current home, half an hour away. Nothing familiar, stuck in traffic going back and forth, handling new utilities, trying to fit our belongings in somehow.

The rental house is needed as we are blessedly building our own new home, 1.5 hours away in the mountains. Builder, architect, design review committee, construction loans...

So I sat down for a minute and everything in the kitchen disappeared down my mouth in a frantic breakdown. I knew what I was doing and it just rolled over me. Fortunately there is not much food left in the house so it was limited to candy intended for our granddaughter's birthday Saturday, leftover chips, beef jerky.

Funny, because none of those things are things I normally like to eat or trigger foods. It was like a 20 minute binge after which I felt very ill, of course. Oddly, I knew when it was over, it was over. I know I am back on IP stronger than before. Looking bad, it was sad and funny because if anyone had been watching, it would have been pathetic and manic, two characteristics not common with me!

My reason for posting this is not because I am proud or even because I understand what happened. I am not proud and I do not know what it was except maybe a little bit of a breakdown? What happened next was to figure out how to deal with it.

I did not need to throw out any tempting foods - there are none left and I am not feeling tempted. I packed up my purse and headed out to a session making fused glass bowls. Three hours of creativity reset my compass and my brain.

So what is the lesson I learned? Not sure, I am still working on it. I do know that what I am thinking is that I know I dealt with a stressful situation by resorting to old habits and coping. I did not take a moment to think how better to deal with it - had I gone to the studio and made glass bowls earlier, I think it would have passed.

I am not beating myself up, just reworking my thinking how to handle things better when super over stressed. Made my IP compliant breakfast shake knowing that a big break is not a reason to keep going in that direction.

Last edited by schenectady; 03-12-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:39 AM   #4  
IP started 12/17/2013

S/C/G: 195/163/155

Height: 5'4"

Default Fit Bit

My sister is trying to do 10,000 steps a day. She is always walking in place while cooking , talking on the phone etc. She loves her Fit Bit, it's actually her third.

The first one clipped onto a pocket and was lost. Second way was "okay" but didn't have the feed back that she wanted. Now she has one on her wrist with colored lights and it measures steps and elevation (flights of stairs.)

It's a gimmick but she likes it because it has her moving and that's a good thing.

10K steps will burn 250-600 calories depending on your weight and how briskly you are walking. 2000 steps = approximately a mile, so 10,000 would be 5 miles

Enjoys your daily walks today.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #5  
IP started 12/17/2013

S/C/G: 195/163/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenectady View Post
Yesterday, my life with IP came to a grinding and frantic stop! .......I am not beating myself up, just reworking my thinking how to handle things better when super over stressed. Made my IP compliant breakfast shake knowing that a big break is not a reason to keep going in that direction.
It happened and today you are back on track.
I'm proud of you for getting to the glass shop yesterday and taking time to rethink what happened, what started it.

Stress is a *****. ( Can I say ***** in a post?)
Okay, stress is a real bear...
Old 03-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #6  
banned

S/C/G: 190/see ticker /130

Height: 5'5.5 or 5'6 on a bad day :)

Quote:
Yesterday, my life with IP came to a grinding and frantic stop! Months and months of being 100% IP changed in a flash. My life has been very, very stressful lately and mentally, I had a tantrum. I think normally I would have had mechanisms in place to deal with it all, but that framework of logically working things out is gone for the moment.

I think the key to it all is the moving process. We have sold our family home and I am sorting and packing 25 years of children and life. Emotionally, that is both sweet and bittersweet.

In the meanwhile, we are moving to a rented house half the size of our current home, half an hour away. Nothing familiar, stuck in traffic going back and forth, handling new utilities, trying to fit our belongings in somehow.

The rental house is needed as we are blessedly building our own new home, 1.5 hours away in the mountains. Builder, architect, design review committee, construction loans...

So I sat down for a minute and everything in the kitchen disappeared down my mouth in a frantic breakdown. I knew what I was doing and it just rolled over me. Fortunately there is not much food left in the house so it was limited to candy intended for our granddaughter's birthday Saturday, leftover chips, beef jerky.

Funny, because none of those things are things I normally like to eat or trigger foods. It was like a 20 minute binge after which I felt very ill, of course. Oddly, I knew when it was over, it was over. I know I am back on IP stronger than before. Looking bad, it was sad and funny because if anyone had been watching, it would have been pathetic and manic, two characteristics not common with me!

My reason for posting this is not because I am proud or even because I understand what happened. I am not proud and I do not know what it was except maybe a little bit of a breakdown? What happened next was to figure out how to deal with it.

I did not need to throw out any tempting foods - there are none left and I am not feeling tempted. I packed up my purse and headed out to a session making fused glass bowls. Three hours of creativity reset my compass and my brain.

So what is the lesson I learned? Not sure, I am still working on it. I do know that what I am thinking is that I know I dealt with a stressful situation by resorting to old habits and coping. I did not take a moment to think how better to deal with it - had I gone to the studio and made glass bowls earlier, I think it would have passed.

I am not beating myself up, just reworking my thinking how to handle things better when super over stressed. Made my IP compliant breakfast shake knowing that a big break is not a reason to keep going in that direction.

Cheer up sweet friend!! The important thing is you got right back up on that saddle again. HUGSS to you!!!
Old 03-12-2014, 09:59 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 187.7/158.2/150

Height: 5'6''

schenectady -hugs to you. I am an emotional eater and when stressed and overwhelmed, I would mindlessly eat and stuff myself. It takes courage to share what you shared and not to wallow in self pity. I am glad that you were able to reflect on what happened and that you were able to deal with it, instead of going on a days or months long binge.

Since starting this journey almost 5 weeks ago, I have had to put up with so much temptation, that I feel that it is starting to wear thin. Three birthday parties and a big christening party in the past 4 weeks that I made through fairly unscathed, have left me kind of exhausted. I also have a dinner party to attend on the 22nd, and already am left feeling overwhelmed just dealing with it, but do not want to isolate myself socially. Losses that I am experiencing and the money that I am spending on this are very motivating not to give in to carbs and wine. (there is a huge snow storm here today after having spring-like weather for two days, so that is also contributing to some self pity today. lol)
Old 03-12-2014, 11:09 AM   #8  
Started IP Alt 1/29/14

S/C/G: 234/145/145

Schenectady - I'm sorry for the stress you are currently under and about the binge eatting. I do think that you will be better for it since you seem to have really reflected on it (and continue to) to make sense of it all and turn it into a positive. THAT is what makes the difference and helps us in the path forward. Good on you! Chin up and as you said, no need in beating yourself up.

Warning TMI: Can I ask a question for the ladies on here? Today is week 6 of doing IP and last month when I had my period I was in Hawaii where we had no scales so I was unable to take my weight for two weeks but, was 100% on IP as I am today. I jumped on the scale today and I'm down -.2 lbs. I don't feel bloated as I might normally (pre-IP) however; was wondering if you ladies have a small decline on your personal scale during that time of the month. I'm not really discouraged since I'm doing IP 100% and invested as I ever have, I just didn't know if this will be a continual thing every month and to expect it.
I'd love to hear your experience if you would please.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:16 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontesanera View Post
schenectady -hugs to you. I am an emotional eater and when stressed and overwhelmed, I would mindlessly eat and stuff myself. It takes courage to share what you shared and not to wallow in self pity. I am glad that you were able to reflect on what happened and that you were able to deal with it, instead of going on a days or months long binge.

Since starting this journey almost 5 weeks ago, I have had to put up with so much temptation, that I feel that it is starting to wear thin. Three birthday parties and a big christening party in the past 4 weeks that I made through fairly unscathed, have left me kind of exhausted. I also have a dinner party to attend on the 22nd, and already am left feeling overwhelmed just dealing with it, but do not want to isolate myself socially. Losses that I am experiencing and the money that I am spending on this are very motivating not to give in to carbs and wine. (there is a huge snow storm here today after having spring-like weather for two days, so that is also contributing to some self pity today. lol)
kontesanera - thank you for your kind reply - I started in August, slipped for nearly 2 months at the holidays, and have been back 100% since then. This was my fir (and only) let go and go crazy, lost it day!

You may find that as time goes on, those challenging social situations can become almost fun challenges! I would look at the menu in advance where I could, and plan. I will now ask waiters specifically to the tiniest degree for how I want the meal prepared. They are very good about it most times. I turned those situations into little mind games for me as to how compliant I could make non typical eating cases.

It becomes easier with time and the determination often fuels the ability to go day after day. I make time for me to do things special - instead of rewarding with food, I reward with a trip to the nearby thrift store to see what great label, good price SMALLER clothes I could find. Buy new and different makeup colors, get a pedicure.

Maybe every time you successfully navigate one of your parties or birthdays by being 100% compliant, you could celebrate in a different way by pampering yourself. The pride that you carry from making it through will also help!
Old 03-12-2014, 11:22 AM   #10  

schenectady
First

Next
You are a perfect example of "all is not lost" if there is a glitch.
Good for you for hopping right back on the horse!
You didn't wait until Monday (or some other random day) to restart.
You shut it down and you're moving on.

I didn't get to 260 by eating too much at parties & special events. I got to 260 by binge eating, overall unhealthy food choices and unhealthy behaviors. And times I've spent off of P1 have showed me that those tendencies are still in me (whether I act on them or not), which is why I've said over & over that IP isn't a cure-all & I still have the disease of obesity, albeit in remission at the present time.

There is a reason I'm reading books suggested by successful maintainers. It is something I've not had success with and I want to learn. The Beck book helps readers identify all sorts of behaviors and how our own actions and thought patterns can be our downfall. Making big, sustainable change is more than a diet. It means changing the way we act and react. Since you're super busy right now, you might want to look into the downloadable audio-version. I listen on my commutes. It is extremely helpful at teaching me how to change my thoughts.

A lot of words here to give you empathetic support. I can totally relate to your struggle. Although it wasn't the cause of my stall, I can see how easily I could get back into "unchecked" eating if I'm not careful.

IP takes the weight off but for some of us it takes more than a diet to learn to live differently so it won't come back on.

Keep up the good work. I'm sure posting that very honest assessment of your day was hard to do. But now it's not bottled up inside. Good for you!
Old 03-12-2014, 11:26 AM   #11  
AmberLS

S/C/G: High 298, IP-250/182/165

Height: 5ft 5in

Quote:

Emotions play funny tricks on us! I have always been an emotional eater and today I am trying to win because it's the first anniversary of my dad's death and I am trying to prove that I can stay focused and not eat crap because I'm sad. I'm sorry you had such a trying day, but glad to hear that it resulted in a bigger desire to succeed. Moving is stressful no matter how you look at it even though its for a better future it doesn't make it any less difficult, especially as you pack up your families memories! I plan to move in the next few years and even thinking about leaving the house where my kids came home to as babies is hard.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:29 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
schenectady
First

Next
You are a perfect example of "all is not lost" if there is a glitch.
Good for you for hopping right back on the horse!
You didn't wait until Monday (or some other random day) to restart.
You shut it down and you're moving on.

I didn't get to 260 by eating too much at parties & special events. I got to 260 by binge eating, overall unhealthy food choices and unhealthy behaviors. And times I've spent off of P1 have showed me that those tendencies are still in me (whether I act on them or not), which is why I've said over & over that IP isn't a cure-all & I still have the disease of obesity, albeit in remission at the present time.

There is a reason I'm reading books suggested by successful maintainers. It is something I've not had success with and I want to learn. The Beck book helps readers identify all sorts of behaviors and how our own actions and thought patterns can be our downfall. Making big, sustainable change is more than a diet. It means changing the way we act and react. Since you're super busy right now, you might want to look into the downloadable audio-version. I listen on my commutes. It is extremely helpful at teaching me how to change my thoughts.

A lot of words here to give you empathetic support. I can totally relate to your struggle. Although it wasn't the cause of my stall, I can see how easily I could get back into "unchecked" eating if I'm not careful.

IP takes the weight off but for some of us it takes more than a diet to learn to live differently so it won't come back on.

Keep up the good work. I'm sure posting that very honest assessment of your day was hard to do. But now it's not bottled up inside. Good for you!

Lisa - thanks so much for the kind and supportive words. It is this site that has made it easier to get back on to the program and go back to 100% IP.

I know binge eating is a big issue for me and yesterday it was almost as if I was outside my own body and watching this person sit and eat wildly, trying to fix some unspoken need. I know that there is no food around that will do that and I just needed to re-center myself and remind myself how much fun it is to wear smaller clothes, sit in an airline seat comfortably and put in the seat belt, look in the mirror and feel good.

I read and reread the Beck book and find so much there to help me through. The book is next to my bed and will move from house to house in the same location! On to the next battle! Thanks again for the kindness.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:31 AM   #13  
AmberLS

S/C/G: High 298, IP-250/182/165

Height: 5ft 5in

Today is a hard day... on top of being sick today is the first anniversary of my dad's death and I have nothing to do but lay in bed because I feel like crud. It was nice to step on the scale and be down a pound since yesterday, doesn't always happen 4 weeks in, but when it does I smile. I have had lot's of NSV's this week and weekend, losing about an inch off most body parts (except my arms lol they've actually grown). I bought a pair of pants that I couldn't even pull over my thighs a month ago and now I can get them on, can't quite button them, but I bet I can in a few weeks, plus just looking at my body I see big changes already. I feel more confident already, I can't believe what a difference 17lbs makes!
Old 03-12-2014, 11:58 AM   #14  
maintaining since 9/2013

Wow Ruth Ann, Way to go!!!!
Old 03-12-2014, 12:06 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 170/166/140

Height: 5'8"

Just popping in quick to let you know there's free shipping on orders over $49 today from Nashua Nutrition with the code "TODAY49" Have a great day everyone!
Closed Thread