View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014, 02:19 PM   #14
abetterme

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
And why would you? This is just another myth of weight loss, that every change has to last or be invisioned for a lifetime. You have to be willing to do something forever, but what that something is can change. What you're doing today doesn't have to be what you're doing tomorrow.

Besides which, how often do you ever hear anyone's "forever plans." Do you ever hear anyone say, "I showered, pooped, and brushed my teeth this morning, as I plan on doing every morning until I drop dead"?

Why should weight management be any different than all the other things people do without a definite end in sight?

And most of the people I know who use the word lifestyle change also regain. They're also more likely to continue to call their failed weight loss attempts diets and only their current method a lifestyle change (until it too fails, and then it becomes just another failed diet).

While you're trying not to be judgemental, you are falling for the mythology: 1. That "every choice must be forever" 2. must be proclaimed to be forever, and 3. that terminology affects outcome independent of attitude (which you generally cannot see in another person).

Dieters fail frequently, but so do lifestylers, just as frequently. Weight management is a very difficult skill, made harder by all the rules, myths, and catch phrases that come in and out of fashion.

"Lifestyle change not a diet" has become one of those catch phrases for at least 25 years, probably closer to 35, but permanent weight loss statistics are no better than they were then. Surely, if the "lifestylers" were more successful, there'd be more evidence.

You personally may benefit from the cognitive shift a terminology change can make easier, but statistics are pretty clear that weight management is damned difficult, no matter what you call it, or how frequently or infrequently you change your strategies.

The problem isn't that diets don't work. It isn't that forever-commitments to a course of action are necessary. A string of diets can work just as well, so long as you string the diets like unspaced beads, one touching another, rather than spaced like a rosary (forgive the sacreligious imagery).

We're taught and encouraged socially to take breaks between weight loss efforts, so if we decide the diet or lifestyle path isn't the one we wish to pursue, or if it's not yielding satisfactory results, the traditionally sanctioned response is to take a break while finding the better path.

Those socially sanctioned breaks are perhaps the biggest obstacle to permanent weight loss, or perhaps weight loss is just damned difficult no matter what you call it, or how you attempt it.
You have made very valid points and I see where you're coming from.
Was thinking about this a bit more and the reason I had associated the word diet as negative was because of my failed diet attempts that were not even sustainable. They were very restrictive. And also the type of diets friends would consider like "the cabbage soup diet" things like that. So the weight would come back on after they stopped. But if someone were to tell me their diet was something sustainable and works, that would seem good to me. So yeah, just associating it with my own personal experiences, I guess. But I see what you're saying and it does make sense.

Last edited by abetterme : 03-13-2014 at 02:38 PM. Reason: thought of something else
abetterme is offline   Reply With Quote