Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 326/314.4/175

Height: 5'7"

Default some perspective...

k, so, i've struggled with weight loss my entire life. i learned long ago not to be upset about ANY weight lost. even if it's just a little.

i'd diet and exercise (as much as i can, with exercise-induced asthma), and then i'd weigh myself, and i'd only lose 5lbs. then i'd get all sad that after all the time i've been trying, i've only lost this little piddly amount. one time this happened, my mom made me feel better.

she drove me to the grocery store and handed me a 5lb bag of potatoes. she said "pretty heavy, huh? this is what you've lost."

that really impacted me. though i have a long way to go, i need to be happy about the weight i've lost, even if i don't feel like it's enough.

hope my story encourages someone.
becklynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5'4 with Cuban curves!

Thank you for your post. I feel that way a lot as well, like I haven't lost anything. I'm especially discouraged when I do the right things and the scale doesn't change at all! That's when the "what's the point" monster comes for the kill, and is often successful. Your Mom is a smart lady! I never thought about it that way, but even just one pound is a great success. It seems to me that losing weight is about making your body strong, but you have to work on your mental strength as well! I have to work on that one...
Claygirl1518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 229/216/180

Height: 5'4"

Every time I only lose 5 lbs. when I think I should have lost more I'll just remember the heaviness of picking up a bag of 5 lb. potatoes. It just doesn't feel like you've lost that much off of your body that your carrying but it surely is.
Waterbunny77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:35 AM   #4  

I had a friend once who would buy a 3 lb can of Crisco yah the white yucky fat stuff and stacked them up in his bedroom for every 3 pound loss. You know the pattern 5 on the bottom then 4 then 3 and he'd rearrange them contemplating the fat within them, it sure worked for him!
CindySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 175 / ticker / 125

Height: 5'2"

I think shows like The Biggest Loser are at least in part to blame for this sort of thinking. People watch TV and get the idea that losing 10 pounds a week is normal and losing just a pound or two is a big failure, when in reality a pound a week is pretty normal and two is freakin' fantastic. I think people forget that a pound a week (or even half a pound, or a tenth of a pound) will still eventually get them to their goal.

My mom falls prey to this a lot. She will go all gung-ho on her weightloss plan, and then calls me up saying, "I don't know what to do! It's not working! I only lost three pounds this week!" I've tried telling her that this is actually an awesome loss and she should be proud, but she gets discouraged and quits when she doesn't see the huge infomercial-style losses.
BigChiefHoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:12 PM   #6  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Your mom was absolutely right. It doesn't seem like much at the time, but it is a huge achievement to even lose ten pounds and keep them gone forever. Don't get down on yourself and instead be proud of your achievement.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 223/146/140

Height: 5'2"

If there is one thing I had to learn about weight loss it was PATIENCE! Jeez, I thought I had been a patient person before but apparently, I didn't really know the definition until I went about losing weight.
Everyone needs some faith. Faith in themselves that the decisions you are making are GOING to add up and they are GOING to work. If you are in a calorie deficit- however it is that you want to do that- you are guaranteed to lose weight as long as you are patient. Even if the scale doesn't reflect it that day or the next.
Losing weight it a slow process that some days and weeks, I didn't even notice a difference.
P A T I E N C E
It's not just about wanting that scale to hurry up and drop down (but know you can't make it go any faster than your metabolism will allow), I also needed to be patient with myself when I made bad decisions.

Remember, you're in it for the long haul. So, there's no point in getting deterred by 5 pounds that didn't come off quickly enough.
Time is your friend. Not your enemy

Last edited by Earthling; 03-13-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Earthling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:51 PM   #8  
Black Barbie

S/C/G: 252/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

^ Very well said. Thank you!
Olivia7906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:13 PM   #9  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

Default Thank You!

Thank you ALL for your comments. We need to be remined that even if we are down "only" 1/4 of a pound, that's 1/4 LESS not more, but LESS. It is hard with shows like the Biggest Loser that has these huge weight losses and those who loss weight but not as much are not cheered as much. EVERY loss should be celebrated. God Bless.
TamTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:47 PM   #10  
mam1958

S/C/G: 307/267/160

Height: 5'6"

I too need to remember this. 1 and 2 pounds adds up quick. It's the starting point we need to be very Patient with.(saying this to remind myself).
mam1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:43 AM   #11  

S/C/G: HW370/319/200

Height: 5'9"

This is great to remember. It's like seeing that yellow blob of "fat" that some nutritionists carry around to show what it looks like to gain a pound or lose a pound. I like the crisco and bag of potatoes analogies better.
KerriLeah is offline   Reply With Quote