View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014, 01:46 PM   #13
kaplods

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by abetterme View Post
I never hear anyone say "I'm on a lifetime diet"
And why would you? This is just another myth of weight loss, that every change has to last or be invisioned for a lifetime. You have to be willing to do something forever, but what that something is can change. What you're doing today doesn't have to be what you're doing tomorrow.

Besides which, how often do you ever hear anyone's "forever plans." Do you ever hear anyone say, "I showered, pooped, and brushed my teeth this morning, as I plan on doing every morning until I drop dead"?

Why should weight management be any different than all the other things people do without a definite end in sight?

Quote:
The word dieting does seem temporary when used, IMO. Maybe because most of the people I know who have said that, did in fact, gain their weight.
And most of the people I know who use the word lifestyle change also regain. They're also more likely to continue to call their failed weight loss attempts diets and only their current method a lifestyle change (until it too fails, and then it becomes just another failed diet).

While you're trying not to be judgemental, you are falling for the mythology: 1. That "every choice must be forever" 2. must be proclaimed to be forever, and 3. that terminology affects outcome independent of attitude (which you generally cannot see in another person).

Dieters fail frequently, but so do lifestylers, just as frequently. Weight management is a very difficult skill, made harder by all the rules, myths, and catch phrases that come in and out of fashion.

"Lifestyle change not a diet" has become one of those catch phrases for at least 25 years, probably closer to 35, but permanent weight loss statistics are no better than they were then. Surely, if the "lifestylers" were more successful, there'd be more evidence.

You personally may benefit from the cognitive shift a terminology change can make easier, but statistics are pretty clear that weight management is damned difficult, no matter what you call it, or how frequently or infrequently you change your strategies.

The problem isn't that diets don't work. It isn't that forever-commitments to a course of action are necessary. A string of diets can work just as well, so long as you string the diets like unspaced beads, one touching another, rather than spaced like a rosary (forgive the sacreligious imagery).

We're taught and encouraged socially to take breaks between weight loss efforts, so if we decide the diet or lifestyle path isn't the one we wish to pursue, or if it's not yielding satisfactory results, the traditionally sanctioned response is to take a break while finding the better path.

Those socially sanctioned breaks are perhaps the biggest obstacle to permanent weight loss, or perhaps weight loss is just damned difficult no matter what you call it, or how you attempt it.

http://www.dreamstormdesigns.etsy.com
etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!

Last edited by kaplods : 03-13-2014 at 01:54 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote