View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014, 12:21 AM   #4
abetterme

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I do not have the stereotypical dieting mindset, but I still use the words I've grown up with.

Diet (noun) - the foods a person eats on a regular basis. A synonym for the currently more pc term WOE (way of eating).

Diet/dieting (verb) to make conscious food choices with a purpose in mind (such as blood sugar management for diabetics, symptom control for allergies, weight loss for obesity, weight gain for underweight.....)

I have no problem with saying, "I'm dieting," or "I'm watching my diet," because I know I'm talking about long-ranging lifestyle changes, not quick fixes with a starvation/deprivation focus.

I do experiment with different ways of eating, and I'm confortable calling them either diets or WOEs. I normally wouldn't say that I'm "on" a specific diet (because it does sort of imply temporariness), but I might say something like, " I'm currently experimenting with a low-carb paleo diet.

I don't mind when I or others use the new or old terms, but I do dislike the way a few people use the terms (as if the terminology itself will determine success or failure). These folks are easy to recognize. Usually there's some pretentiousness or self-righteousness in their tone of voice, as they look down their noses and declare that you are doomed to failure because you used the term diet, while they are guaranteed success because they used the more pc, term WOE, or lifestyle change (even if you're happy and consistent with your "diet" and they are miserable and change their lifestyle or WOE every day of the week).

I think having a positive, goal-oriented, non-punishing, long-term focused attitude is more important than which terms you use. If you need or want a new term to overcome negative attitudes and associations linked to the old ones that's fine, but it's also ok to use the old terms with a new attitude.
You make a good point there. When I think "I'm on a diet" it makes me think, ok so does that mean they'll eventually go off diet and not be eating healthy anymore? I never hear anyone say "I'm on a lifetime diet" So that's why it comes off as negative at times. But I do say things like "My diet is a full of fruit, veggies, and grains" or even "I'm watching my diet" The word dieting does seem temporary when used, IMO. Maybe because most of the people I know who have said that, did in fact, gain their weight back. I know that's not all people who are dieting, though, and would never tell someone they're wrong for being on a "diet". I still just say lifestyle change or just trying to eat healthier from now on because it helps me explain my healthy eating better to people who ask and it's just what I prefer. The being on a diet mindset doesn't help me push further, maybe because growing up being on a diet was always a temporary thing for me that I could never sustain. So maybe it's negative in my mind because of that. Interesting thought, though. Never really thought of it that way.

Last edited by abetterme : 03-13-2014 at 12:49 AM.
abetterme is offline   Reply With Quote