General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #1  

Default Another motivational figure..."What's your excuse?"

In conjunction with my other post, I have been meaning to post a thread about fitness mom Maria Kang. In case you haven't seen her controversial pic, I put a link at the bottom.

Basically her message is, and I am a fan of hers on facebook and I follow her blog, that there is no excuse not to make fitness a priority in our lives. I whole hearted agree with this. I don't believe that everyone has to have the perfect body, but I do believe that we can eat well and for the most part, find time during the week to exercise. I like her firm and no apologies way of laying it out, but I'm sure that approach can be irritating for some.

I don't agree with everything she preaches, but on days I don't feel like getting my rear on the treadmill, a few minutes on her page and I'm going to run.

Having said that, I do think that the phrase "What's your excuse?" was not well thought out, if her intention was to motivate people. I think that type of approach works well for those that respond to tough love, but if her goal was to inspire a large majority of mothers, there were likely better phrases that could have accomplished this. I do believe to some extent that she is trying to gain publicity, and the phrase she picked along with a controversial image succeed in doing that.

What's your thoughts?

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.1487278
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:49 PM   #2  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I like her. I even like her catch-phrase. She caught a lot of flack a couple months back (made national news) because they said she was fat-shaming. I don't see it that way. I think that Americans, particularly, REALLY set the bar low when it comes to diet and exercise. I think someone like Kang is just keeping it real- she's a fit mother of four, and she looks fantastic. She has all the same excuses many people do, but she doesn't use them and instead has chosen to be fit and healthy. I think people need to stop being so thin-skinned and realize- "Yes, my choices are sabotaging my health." That includes myself.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
I like her. I even like her catch-phrase. She caught a lot of flack a couple months back (made national news) because they said she was fat-shaming. I don't see it that way. I think that Americans, particularly, REALLY set the bar low when it comes to diet and exercise. I think someone like Kang is just keeping it real- she's a fit mother of four, and she looks fantastic. She has all the same excuses many people do, but she doesn't use them and instead has chosen to be fit and healthy. I think people need to stop being so thin-skinned and realize- "Yes, my choices are sabotaging my health." That includes myself.
Agree with all of this! I always thought the backlash was pretty silly, I mean it was a Facebook page devoted to fitspiration if you don't like it move on.

Perhaps some people just respond to different methods. It's sort of similar to Jillian Michaels either you love her and find her motivational (which I do) or you think she is a fat shaming, bully.

Last edited by PatLib; 03-10-2014 at 09:29 PM.
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:40 PM   #4  

I totally agree. Kang is just telling the world the truth. Many women use babies as an excuse to gain weight or justify weight gain...sorry! Yes, I am a woman and I know many women who have children that are over 3 and they still use the excuse of 'baby' weight.
starvingforchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #5  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

I think she's right. It may not be everyone's style, but in reading other forums, excuses are not tolerated and will win you lots of verbal beatings! 3FC is unique in that it is a much more positive forum, which I like. This is why I only post on this one!

That said, I learn a lot by reading the "mean people" posts on other forums that will not allow you to claim that having a baby, being older, being in an office job, not having time to exercise is your pass for not meeting your goals. It makes me re-think my own excuses.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:00 PM   #6  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

I agree with her, not just with weight loss but in general. I've seen so many people overcome horrific obstacles to make incredible changes in their own or someone else's life.

Some people are just always going to be negative.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #7  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

This got some serious traction at the MDA forums not that long ago.

I wouldn't bother to be offended by it. She's a "fitness personality" I'm sure she has help with her kids. Even if she doesn't, some mothers may not be willing to sacrifice the time it takes to get that stomach (or have the genes, for that matter).

I don't think SHE handled the backlash well. Her personality is sorely lacking, and she's not one I would look to for guidance, inspiration or advice .
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:09 PM   #8  

I agree with the general consensus. I like her approach, even if I think that its too tough for some.
She says she does not have help with her kids and that her mother is obese (genes). I don't think there are any other reasons for why she looks like she does other than she puts her fitness as a top priority. She's dedicated and disciplined.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:41 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 View Post
I agree with the general consensus. I like her approach, even if I think that its too tough for some.
She says she does not have help with her kids and that her mother is obese (genes). I don't think there are any other reasons for why she looks like she does other than she puts her fitness as a top priority. She's dedicated and disciplined.
I agree, I think the problem was she really struck a nerve. I mean I think most people fell into two categories with the "What's your excuse" phrase it was either accepting the truth or being in denial which made them defensive.

Though I think I disagree a little with the genes thing. I mean if you look at pictures on her site where she was heavier. She is very proportional and still very beautiful. Some people are just lucky, I mean if I was a size 12/14 and all my fat went where Christina Hendricks' fat is I wouldn't drop a pound!
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:48 PM   #10  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I remember the controversy, but didn't pay much attention to it since I don't really know much about her.

What I can tell you is that I'm 3 months postpartum, and while still obese, I'm in the best shape of my life. I was recently told I was "lucky" to have lost all the pregnancy weight (and then some) so quickly, but no. I was extremely careful to eat right throughout the pregnancy (indulging only at the end) and did my best to stay active throughout while not overdoing it. And once I healed up from the birth, I got right back to eating at a deficit and getting more exercise in. I restarted C25K on the 5th of this month (since I had to quit running while pregnant) as well as some beginner exercise videos. And I plan on moving out of the obesity category for the first time ever this summer (just 14 more pounds to go!).

Anyway, no more excuses for me: I need to be here for my new son so I'm making my health a priority!
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:58 PM   #11  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Her post didn't really say much to me or make me have strong emotions about it in general, so I guess I'm secure in my own lifestyle decisions. :P

You know who inspires me? The guy with cerebral palsy at work who can barely move his body but goes to the gym several times a week.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:47 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Having a nice body, and being a mother of 4 who touts a few motivational phrases does not make a fitness idol. The only reason she's in the spotlight is for her ill-worded views and mundane line of thought that someone better, smarter and healthier already thought up. I can think of at least a dozen people off the top of my head who are more motivating to me than this schmuck. I could probably make a long list of people if I had the time to think about it.

I'm not offended so much by the picture, when I first saw it I thought "yea that's a good way to see it" and I didn't think too much about it. Then I saw her in debate with the Curvy Girls lingerie founder and imo she lost the debate and I did indeed see her as a fat shamer. She said she was NOT a fat shamer, but she that she also doesn't think that women who are large should be proud of themselves.... hmmmm that's fat shaming. You can watch the interview here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXpwsgkxWQc

I'm always up for a good motivational catch phrase and I admire women who have it all. I look up to my friends, my family members, women in my community who I see working out, old ladies who are chugging along at the track every morning, and I am inspired by them. And I can't stand when people make excuses, there is ALWAYS time to put your health first. But I would also like to feel good about what I look like now, I can strive to be fit and I can strive to be healthy, but why are you all out for me to be BETTER when I'm busy just trying to be happy with who I am?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvingforchange View Post
I totally agree. Kang is just telling the world the truth. Many women use babies as an excuse to gain weight or justify weight gain...sorry! Yes, I am a woman and I know many women who have children that are over 3 and they still use the excuse of 'baby' weight.
Women ARE justified to gain weight when they have a baby. We've grown an entire human in our body, we've nurtured it, loved it, taken care of it and it does a number on our physique. Well I don't know if you're a mother but there are mothers that struggle with more things than you seem to be able to comprehend. Oh let's see, I'll make a short list in defense of mothers:

- C-section and the lengthy process of healing
- breastfeeding which burns a lot of calories but also requires you to sit around on your a$$ for many hours of the day
- less time to work, more bills to pay
- post partum depression
- grappling with a new self image
- assimilating to a new lifestyle
- your hair starts to fall out around 4months post partum
- you don't feel sexual very much for a long time after
- a new and different stage of marriage
- no free time
- not being able to identify with your single friends

These are just a few "excuses" that women have, and I'll take them all. Including the excuse of having severe post partum SPD that finally required 6months of physical therapy so that I could relearn how to walk again. Motherhood is a life altering event that happens not only to your life but to your body as well and I won't stand for anyone diminishing the fact that for some women it's just ain't that easy.

Fat shame all you want, but mothers are off limits.

Last edited by Palestrina; 03-12-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:00 PM   #13  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

100% agree with all of the above post.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:12 PM   #14  

The word, "excuses" connotes judgment and in my own weight loss journeys (ups and downs), I try not to judge myself and others. I guess I don't know how "What's your excuse?" does *not* appear judgmental?

Anyways, I really, really try not to be all Up with People when it comes to my fitness lifestyle. When I try to encourage others to be active alongside, I would use a tact opposite of this "motivational figure", but whatevs.
memememe76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:50 PM   #15  
On my way to -70

S/C/G: 202/192/132lbs

Height: 5'4''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
Having a nice body, and being a mother of 4 who touts a few motivational phrases does not make a fitness idol. The only reason she's in the spotlight is for her ill-worded views and mundane line of thought that someone better, smarter and healthier already thought up. I can think of at least a dozen people off the top of my head who are more motivating to me than this schmuck. I could probably make a long list of people if I had the time to think about it.

I'm not offended so much by the picture, when I first saw it I thought "yea that's a good way to see it" and I didn't think too much about it. Then I saw her in debate with the Curvy Girls lingerie founder and imo she lost the debate and I did indeed see her as a fat shamer. She said she was NOT a fat shamer, but she that she also doesn't think that women who are large should be proud of themselves.... hmmmm that's fat shaming. You can watch the interview here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXpwsgkxWQc

I'm always up for a good motivational catch phrase and I admire women who have it all. I look up to my friends, my family members, women in my community who I see working out, old ladies who are chugging along at the track every morning, and I am inspired by them. And I can't stand when people make excuses, there is ALWAYS time to put your health first. But I would also like to feel good about what I look like now, I can strive to be fit and I can strive to be healthy, but why are you all out for me to be BETTER when I'm busy just trying to be happy with who I am?

Women ARE justified to gain weight when they have a baby. We've grown an entire human in our body, we've nurtured it, loved it, taken care of it and it does a number on our physique. Well I don't know if you're a mother but there are mothers that struggle with more things than you seem to be able to comprehend. Oh let's see, I'll make a short list in defense of mothers:

- C-section and the lengthy process of healing
- breastfeeding which burns a lot of calories but also requires you to sit around on your a$$ for many hours of the day
- less time to work, more bills to pay
- post partum depression
- grappling with a new self image
- assimilating to a new lifestyle
- your hair starts to fall out around 4months post partum
- you don't feel sexual very much for a long time after
- a new and different stage of marriage
- no free time
- not being able to identify with your single friends

These are just a few "excuses" that women have, and I'll take them all. Including the excuse of having severe post partum SPD that finally required 6months of physical therapy so that I could relearn how to walk again. Motherhood is a life altering event that happens not only to your life but to your body as well and I won't stand for anyone diminishing the fact that for some women it's just ain't that easy.

Fat shame all you want, but mothers are off limits.
Finally a post I can agree with!

When I first learned about this lady I instantly disliked her method. It's not always about excuses, it's not always about being lazy, lacking motivation, and lacking will power to put the donuts away. There might be genetics, there might be mental, emotional, and physical illnesses. There might be time constraints. There might be financial constraints. I can't work out with my kids around. I can't diet if I cannot afford to buy healthy foods. I can't get myself to do anything if I am going through a depression. And so it goes (I am just giving three examples out of the many I have gone through as a mom). Even though I think she tried to be motivational, she didn't think it out very well and fell very short for me.

So, okay, when I first heard her catchphrase I didn't like it because I wasn't dieting and I was letting myself go; I thought I'd change my mind if I was more proactive. Now I'm working hard on my diet and a healthy lifestyle but I still feel the same way. Her method doesn't work for me because even when I lose weight I'll continue to champion overweight people and their struggles because I know what it feels. She, obviously, doesn't have a clue.

Last edited by Paulitens; 03-12-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Paulitens is offline   Reply With Quote