Thread: Fiber Counting?
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 03:04 AM   #71
Pattience
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Hello Ladies, i have just quickly read through the whole thread. I am not counting fibre but i do tend to eat a high fibre way anyway.

Sorry to hear about your daughter's troubles Steelslady.

I wanted to share my lunch recipe with you because its very high in fibre, high in protein, vegetarian and pretty damn tasty and nutritious. I turned it into a formula so that it can be adapted with all different sorts of ingredients. I'll give you the formula first then tell you how i made it today.

Because i do need to watch my calorie intake, i keep some ingredients in check and don't just chuck in more and more of the yummier parts (cheese and nuts). But i have found these yummier bits are not required in high doses anyway. I try to put just enough in to give me enough flavour.

so this is a bean and vegetable salad with cheese and nuts and dressing. I try to use quality ingredients. Although i am using canned beans, i know it would be better and a lot cheaper using dried beans, soaking overnight then cooking, but at the moment i need things to be as easy as possible.

The formula - it makes 2-3 cups of filling salad

1 cup of canned or soaked and cooked beans/lentils/chickpeas or any combination of same.
2 or 3 vegetables, usually salad types, but cooked ones are also fine.
up to about 70grams strong flavoured crumbly cheese
5 walnut halves, broken
just enough salad dressing to coat everything. I usually use 1-2 tsp of extra virgin olive oil and 1-2 tsp of balsamic vinegar.
pinch salt if desired
fresh ground black pepper if desired

Today i had
cannelini beans, 1 stick of celery sliced, 1 corn cob with corns sliced off, 1 3 inch chunk of cucumber, diced
5 walnuts halves
30g of crumbled goats fetta cheese
2tsp each of balsamic vinegar and olive oil. I use less if using less vegies.

You could do
brown lentils + diced tomato + finely grated carrot + 1 finely grated beetroot
walnuts - you could use 5 almonds, or 1level tbsp of sesame seeds, sunflower seeds or other seeds or nuts. I like the walnuts a lot though.
fetta - i nearly always use the goats fetta and it should be a good quality product. As far as i'm concerned the best ones i know of are greek or bulgarian. The worst ones here are Australian and dutch. But you could also use hard parmesan or romano cheese also finely grated.

There are a few little extras i sometimes add such as:
1 tbsp finely chopped onion
1 clove of garlic in the dressing
fresh herbs finely chopped

instead of balsamic you could use red wine vinegar but never use just brown vinegar or white vinegar. Those are not really very yummy vinegars. You could also try lemon juice. Balsamic is nice because its a little bit sweet.

Sometimes i use 1/2 cup salad greens. In my supermarket there is also packet coleslaw vegetables which if i use i just put in 1 whole cup. It makes it very quick to prepare.

You can swap a vegetable for a piece of fruit sometimes. Apple and pear go well.

I hope you'll give it a go. Its my main salad and eat at least about four times a week.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote