View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 01:18 AM   #70
Steelslady
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 309.4/278/208 1/20/14

Height: 5' 9"

Now, to finally say a howdy do to you all and reply to your awesome comments-

Liliann-
great job, girl friend! You are doing fantastic- keep up the great work! You are making such great progress, and you must be feeling wonderful. think of it this way, you've lost two and half bags of potatoes, or the equivalent of a toddler- way to go!

aleka- just post! We love to hear from you! You don't need to post any menus or food choices, just let us know how you're doing, ask any questions, share some fun stuff like you and hubby walked the mall or went hiking or something, etc- posting daily will help keep us all accountable, even if it's just checking in to say hello and encouraging one another. Glad you are doing well and I wish you continued success!

Trish-
So glad your weight is coming down again- it could have been fluid retention, which happens alot on most diets. With high fiber, we do have to make sure we're getting plenty of water to keep the fiber flowing through our system. Also, a high sodium day can cause a weight gain and stay on for a few days- just went through this this week myself with the Indian food- so good, but you know how those buffets are- loaded with sodium. I am sodium sensitive and can put on up to five pounds of water weight over night, to which in two to three days time, it does come back off. I can even feel it in my extremities when I have had too much sodium that day- my feet, calves, and hands swell and sometimes, my skin gets red.

Now, as far as my calorie consumption goes- while I am not counting calories, I am diligent in keeping them from not going too high. I probably average around 1600-1800 per day most days. I eat light mayonaise, light margarine with low or no sodium versions, rinse off sodium from vegetables that I can't buy the low sodium/no sodium added versions because they don't either sell them or the company doesn't make them that way. I try to eat fresh or frozen veggies, but most of the high fiber foods are fresh or canned for me.

As far as do I plan my menus- well, yes and no. The night before, I do have a plan as to my protein for the next day. From there, I add my high fiber choices to accompany my meals, from bread to pasta, or veggies/fruits and snacks. I try to stay around 20 grams per meal, sometimes I am over, sometimes, under. No pressure, but I do aim to have at least 35 grams a day, the lowest.

For instance, yesterday, we had pot roast- my family got a bit of a different dinner than myself- I made it with oven roasted potatoes/sweet potatoes/green beans in olive oil and Lipton Onion Soup mix for them with gravy- I can't have that too much anymore, it's too high in sodium for me, all soups/mixes are unfortunately.

However, I had the pot roast along with them, but I had mine in a sandwich with high fiber bread, high fiber tortilla chips, some salad, and peanuts and raisins. I was low on potassium yesterday- I can always tell when I am, because I crave either oranges or orange juice when I am low, so I had some orange juice with my high protein/high fiber breakfast and the peanut/raisin combination (think protein/sugar combo). I wish I had had some oranges in the house, as those are higher in fiber (2 grams) compared to the juice itself, but it was the potassium I needed, not the fiber at that point. Whenever I do an intense work out, I have to watch my potassium levels- I know the signs and symptoms by now, craving oranges is my cue- raisins are a good source of potassium, too, but I have to pair them up with peanuts to balance out the sugars. Again, I always pair my sugars/carbs with a good amount of protein, to stay on the safe side.

Some staples in my pantry that I keep that is a must on my high protein/high fiber diet:

LeSeur's very young small sweet peas
- 1 cup serving has 6 grams of fiber, 8 grams of protein, 8 grams of sugars- the protein knocks out the sugar, especially if you have a meat source with these peas.

Nature's Harvest Okra Chips
=- 6 pods (30 grams total), has 6 grams of dietary fiber, 2 grams of protein, no sugars. This is a newer staple to my diet, I love them. Other grocery stores may have them- I have seen them before under different brand names, so check them out, if you like okra. You can also make them, found a recipe online for them, but it takes too long, just easier for me to buy them.

Butter beans- 1/2 cup serving has 5 grams of fiber, 6 grams of protein, and 1 gram of sugar, knocked out by the protein in these delicious gems

Lima beans-
1/2 cup serving has 8 grams of fiber, 6 grams of protein, 1 gram of sugar, knocked out by the protein

Garbanzo (chick peas) beans-
1/2 cup serving has 5 grams of fiber, 6 grams of protein, no sugars

Vegetarian beans in tomato sauce-
1/2 cup has 6 grams of fiber, 7 grams of protein, and 6 grams of sugar, knocked out by the protein if you pair it with a meat source as well, like hot dogs.

I play around with recipes. For instance, some nights the peas go in a Shrimp with Lobster sauce (high in protein) with some bean sprouts and some rice. Or a chicken pot pie, beef stew, etc.

I take a jar of any alfredo sauce, put in a large can of lima beans, add some cooked chicken or shrimp, and serve it over high fiber pasta. My hubby's, my son's, and my favorite is the Sun Dried tomato alfredo sauce with lima beans and shrimp. So yummy!

Spaghetti pie is a fun recipe that balances out tomato sauce, which has some sugar in it, with lots of protein from the eggs/egg whites (I use half eggs, half egg whites to watch the cholesterol), turkey sausage, hamburger or chicken burger, and parmesan and mozzarella cheeses, to which I use high fiber spaghetti with my recipe, gluten free for my daughter, and regular spaghetti for the rest of the family.

Cooking is a challenge in my house, but one good thing- my youngest daughter, though gluten free, is on a high protein diet- so we both eat a lot of legumes and peas for veggies, and I just substitute the gluten free pasta in recipes when needed. My oldest daughter is calorie counting, so I have to help her with portion control and calorie counting when I can. Seeing that I am on a high fiber diet, I eat high fiber pasta- so today, I cooked three different pastas and made three different versions of spaghetti pie for six people. My sister lives with us, so there is six of us in all I try to keep healthy and full. Son, hubby, and youngest daughter are easy to please and cook for, while my oldest daughter and sister are a challenge- oldest daughter has a very acidic and sensitive stomach, so her food has to be for the most part very plain, not high in spice or acid. My sister has dementia and one day she loves a food, while the next day she'll tell everyone she hates it and/or never ate it before. Good times at my house, let me tell you!

I hope this helps, Trish, and anyone else that might need or want this information.

I am on a high fiber/high protein diet, watching my sugars as well, always always pairing protein with any carbs/sugars. I also love to eat asparagus and green beans, and lots of other fresh veggies roasted like eggplant, asparagus, summer squash, red peppers, and zucchini. So good! Can't wait til hubby gets paid Friday so I can get some of those veggies and roast them- been craving them the last couple of days, but got to wait until Friday to buy them. I hope I can wait that long, lol!

Have a great day, all! I hope you all wake up with nice losses and Trish, I hope that your sugar keeps improving. Hang in there, my friend- we'll get this worked out for you one way or the other, in a healthy manner, of course.

The Wendie Plan in Calories:
http://hermitislandlover.blogspot.com/

One for each ten pounds lost-

Last edited by Steelslady : 03-12-2014 at 01:57 AM.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote