Old 03-03-2014, 03:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 236.5/224/160

Height: 5'

Default Cough lozanges - too sweet for my cold?

I just started a cold and was looking at the ingredients in the cough lozanges I have on hand, ie. Halls and Cepacol... both list sugar as primary ingredients. Any ideas which cough/throat medicine I should be taking?

Thanks!
Chicnana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:10 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

Go out and get a sugar free version of whichever brand you like.
If you have to take ONE of what you have in order to make it to the store to get something else, it won't be the end of the world. But they are mostly little sugar pills. ; )
infoplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:10 PM   #3  

Get ones for diabetics. The pharmacy should be able to help you.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #4  

Thank you ladies... I should have thought of that...

I guess my mind is a little foggy 2day... I blame my cold! lol
Old 03-04-2014, 10:34 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 245/196/185

Height: 5'8"

Default Ricola Lemon Mint Sugar-free cough drops

Pleasantly tasting and does not have an overbearing smell of cough drops.

Ricola - Lemon Mint Sugar-free Cough Drops
Servings: 1 drop 1 container (19 drops ea.)
Calories 6 Sodium 0 mg
Total Fat 0 g Potassium 0 mg
Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 2 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 0 g
Trans 0 g Protein 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
Vitamin C 12% Iron 0%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
dchild8989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:40 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchild8989 View Post
Pleasantly tasting and does not have an overbearing smell of cough drops.

Ricola - Lemon Mint Sugar-free Cough Drops
Servings: 1 drop 1 container (19 drops ea.)
Calories 6 Sodium 0 mg
Total Fat 0 g Potassium 0 mg
Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 2 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 0 g
Trans 0 g Protein 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
Vitamin C 12% Iron 0%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Cough drops... now that's interesting... never seen those before. I haven't had a cold in years! The cold medecine I have at home are all expired!

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #7  

Location: Frederick Colorado (about 20 miles north of Denver)

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I had a cold a couple months ago and the sugar (or sucralose in the sugar free) scared me. So I just drank TONS of decaf hot herbal tea.

Also be aware, my coach said that when you are fighting off an illness, you may have lower losses or even a gain because your body is focusing on fighting off the "invader".
ColoradoCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:48 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoCarol View Post
I had a cold a couple months ago and the sugar (or sucralose in the sugar free) scared me. So I just drank TONS of decaf hot herbal tea.

Also be aware, my coach said that when you are fighting off an illness, you may have lower losses or even a gain because your body is focusing on fighting off the "invader".
Thanks for the heads-up! I have my second WI tonight and am not too excited... I've been feeling slouchy and bloated since yesterday... I should probably prepare myself for zero loss...

Why did the fake sugar scare you? lol
Old 03-04-2014, 03:08 PM   #9  

The real reason (smh at coach) is illness causes inflammation. Inflammation is water weight.
So, you may still lose FAT but water weight would mask any losses on the scale.
Stick with the plan and it'll all work out.

My favorite treatment is making old fashioned home made chicken soup, starting with roasting a whole chicken, using the carcass to make the bone broth (if you don't know bone broth, google it to discover the health benefits)

Another natural form of relief is to gargle with salt water. The germs can't live in that environment.

Steer far clear of anything with sugar. Viruses feed on sugars. This is a good time to choose your lowest carb IP products.

RE: sweeteners
Many of us have found that excess sweeteners cause more cravings.
There are even studies (see related thread) that sucralose is causing digestive issues.

Last edited by lisa32989; 03-04-2014 at 03:09 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:23 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
The real reason (smh at coach) is illness causes inflammation. Inflammation is water weight.

My favorite treatment is making old fashioned home made chicken soup, starting with roasting a whole chicken, using the carcass to make the bone broth (if you don't know bone broth, google it to discover the health benefits)

Another natural form of relief is to gargle with salt water. The germs can't live in that environment.

Steer far clear of anything with sugar. Viruses feed on sugars. This is a good time to choose your lowest carb IP products.

There are even studies (see related thread) that sucralose is causing digestive issues.
You are such a wealth of information Lisa! I wouldn't have thought that a simple cold could do that! I will definitely google bone broth it seems like an interesting idea. I'm not a big fan of soups, but from what I gather here, it's a good alternative to meat and veggies...

Sweeteners: I've heard that alot over the years. Hopefully it won't deepen my cravings more as I still weep for my muffin in the morning...

lol
Old 03-11-2014, 12:53 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 215/159.2/135

Height: 5'4

@lisa32989 What great information! Thank you!!!! I have been feeling frustrated after a bout of the flu where I wasn't able to eat anything yet managed to gain 3.5 pounds!!! Now I feel better!
murphypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 328.2/205/178

Height: 5'8"

Shoppers Drug Mart/Pharmaprix also makes their Life brand sugar free cough drops that are p1 compliant. They come in lemon, mint and cherry, I think.

And if you get a cough, Robitussin makes a cough syrup that's carb free - says right on the bottle that it's for diabetics.

Feel better!
IPdivajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:11 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPdivajen View Post
Shoppers Drug Mart/Pharmaprix also makes their Life brand sugar free cough drops that are p1 compliant. They come in lemon, mint and cherry, I think.

And if you get a cough, Robitussin makes a cough syrup that's carb free - says right on the bottle that it's for diabetics.

Feel better!
Welcome back Shannon! You look great!
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:26 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW 245.6/CW 203/GW 170

Just be careful with the sugar free cough drops. Check the back of the package before buying. Most of the ones I've found contain aspartame, so I steer clear of those. I'll use the regular ones, but won't have many in the day...
scottysgirl7682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW 245.6/CW 203/GW 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post

Good to know... I, myself, have been healthy and haven't had a cold since February 2012, and now am fighting one I didn't know that viruses fed on sugars. It's a good thing, I had a chicken noodle soup packet with my salad for lunch. However, the raspberry jello has been helping with my throat, and even tho I'm trying to get in as much water as possible, drinking that straight up makes me cough my head off.

I've been drinking passion herbal tea, and the hotness from that will actually clear up that tickle. Come to think of it, I think it's time for another cup...
scottysgirl7682 is offline   Reply With Quote