View Single Post
Old 03-11-2014, 09:48 AM   #36
Wannabeskinny

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 View Post
I don't understand why you would not want to control your hunger. The control I'm talking about has to do with health, not dieting.

If I get hungry and eat a candy bar because I really want it, it will do nothing for me nutritionally. It will cause my blood sugar to go up up up, then fall, leaving me hungry in an hour or so. Rather if I choose to eat maybe some cheese and nuts, plain greek yogurt and an apple, a piece of chicken and some carrots....my internal self would rather eat the candy bar, but I know if I choose one of the other options, I will stay satisfied longer and control my hunger. They also offer more nutritionally. Try not to think of controlling hunger like dieting tips, you know, how they tell you to drink water before eating, or to put down your fork between each bite...I'm talking about controlling hunger by feeding your body healthy, whole, nutritious foods, in a combo of protein , fat (and carbs if you include them).

It important to know what is motivating you and what you want to "gain" from this.
Thanks for participating in this discussion, it's important for me to clarify that I only wish to change myself and no one else in particular so the things I write about pertain to me and don't mean to sway, judge or criticize anyone else, especially when you found something that works for you. But the question about hunger is particularly interesting to me, I've been thinking about hunger a lot for a long time. As a life long dieter I know a lot about how food affects one's body. I did low carb, no carb, calorie counting, restrictive eating, etc for a long time and I researched. It. To. Death. I've learned about how combining this food with this food and spacing meals kept my hunger under control. Control is the key aspect to this, I treated my hunger as if it was a wild caged animal that needed to be carefully guarded when released for its short exercise around the grounds. Don't give it too much of this or it will demand more, feed it at regular intervals so that it doesn't snarl at you, or keep it waiting longer for punishment, put it to bed hungry so that it sleeps it off etc. It's just been a constant battle, being afraid of my own hunger is like be being afraid of my own shadow. It's there, we all know it's there, let's embrace it I say.

I've spent too long trying to control this hunger, treating it like a beast when in truth it exists to HELP ME. It's there for me, it wants to take care of me, to alert me to my body's needs! And here I went throwing it into a pile of negative emotions like anxiety and sadness... come to think of it all those exist for a reason too and it's about time I've learned how to deal with all of these things in an adult manner.

I enjoy very good food, I am very well aware of what foods made me feel energetic and what foods make me feel lethargic. But the foods I eat must nourish me not only physically, but mentally as well. I need to be satisfied. And as long as I keep that candy bar out of reach, in a jail cell marked as "BAD FOOD" then it has a power over me that it does not deserve. Eat it, it's a candy bar, it's a combination of peanuts and chocolate and caramel. Once it's gone, it's gone and the next thing I'll want is probably some avocado.

You're right, everyone has their own goals here, weight loss is definitely a goal. But more than anything I want to have a good relationship with food, I want to be around food and not feel like a deprived maniac. I want to eat it when I want it and release its power over me. And most of all I want to be rid of food guilt, I have nothing to be ashamed of for wanting to eat a bagel, nothing at all.

Fat isn't a feeling

"Food is not the enemy. Hunger is a sign of life and vitality." - Caroline Haagen from The F- it Diet

Last edited by Wannabeskinny : 03-11-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Wannabeskinny is online now   Reply With Quote