Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 06:07 AM   #1  
Work in Progress

Default A Question

To those who are well on their way to success,
My questions are

As you transended from plus size to regular size did you experience any suprises, disappointments, frustrations?

What is teh best thing that happened to you?

What made it different this time?

ANd what do you do to ward off becoming complacent?

I had gotten down to 228#(very briefly) and a year+ later was way back up there. it's a pretty scary thing.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts
Old 01-15-2004, 09:28 AM   #2  

To those who are well on their way to success,
My questions are

As you transended from plus size to regular size did you experience any suprises, disappointments, frustrations?I was surprised at that every 3 weeks i hit a platau and I usually lose the most the week of my period. I was frustrated that i was not as happy as i thought i would be when i got to a size 16.

What is teh best thing that happened to you?This incredible feeling of acomplishment and vitality.

What made it different this time? I dont know really I just decided it was time and i started doing what my mom was doing and it wasnt really that hard to do and i didnt feel like i was starving so I just stuck with it.

ANd what do you do to ward off becoming complacent? Clothes shopping help alot cause if I see something i really like that is just a little too small I think well if i lost another 10 lbs that might fit! Plus the energy I have now and being able to play with my kids and i dont feel like everyone is staring at me and wispering anymore are such great feelings i dont want to lose that again.

Old 01-15-2004, 01:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

As you transended from plus size to regular size did you experience any surprises, disappointments, frustrations? I was incredibly happy when I got into a size 14 pair of pants. I have a size 12 pair just waiting for me. My major surprise was at how hard it was to give up my size 20W coat. I loved that coat. I finally donated it to a thrift store on Monday, although I haven't been able to wear it for quite a while.

What is the best thing that happened to you? I feel more confident. Last weekend I went to dinner with some friends I hadn't seen in 30 years. I know I wouldn't have done that if I had weighed 63 lbs. more than I do now. Also, really enjoying exercise is one of the best things, and a surprising thing, too. I have a disability that makes exercise somewhat painful, but I enjoy it so much that I work around the pain. I just wish I could exercise more.

What made it different this time? When I was 49, I knew that I didn't want to spend my 50s being overweight. I'm going on 51, and still 30-35 lbs. overweight, but this year, I'm going to get that off!

ANd what do you do to ward off becoming complacent? I look at my before and progress photos. I don't want to be "before" ever again.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:41 AM   #4  
Work in Progress

Julie and SHeila
Thanks so much for taking time and replying! Congrats on your success so far
Old 01-16-2004, 09:10 AM   #5  

Pat, I'm not at goal yet, but thought I'd share my experiences with you.

As you transended from plus size to regular size did you experience any suprises, disappointments, frustrations? I had gotten so big that I couldn't even shop in the Plus Size sections any more, I was ordering most of my clothes from Lane Bryant. Just being able to go to the store and look at clothes with my daughters is so exciting and wonderful. I definitely think that they are making sizes bigger than they used to, but that's okay with me! It's a little disappointing that I don't have quite the body that I remember having under all the fat. There's still so much loose skin that I don't look as good as I would like to at all.

What is teh best thing that happened to you? Our trip to California this year. I was able to ride on the rides with my kids and run around and enjoy it all. It was wonderful! I hadn't been able to ride on the rides for a long time, so it was really wonderful to be able to enjoy it all.

What made it different this time? Putting my focus on getting healthy when I first started. I was just so tired of worrying all the time that I was going to have a heart attack and of being so tired and sore all the time. I just started off by trying to be healthier and that seemed to make the difference for me.

ANd what do you do to ward off becoming complacent? That's really hard. There are many times now that I think I've gone far enough and that I can just stop here, but I know that I've set a goal and I want to reach it. Finding people to talk to about my weight loss goals and reaching them has really helped. I really got off track during my vacation and the holidays and that wasn't good, but I'm back on track now and realizing that I do need to keep going until I reach my goal.

You've made great progress so far too and I know that you will reach your goals!
Old 01-16-2004, 10:53 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

As you transended from plus size to regular size did you experience any suprises, disappointments, frustrations?

i was super excited. i sort of laugh at lane bryant any time i walk by. which is mean, it was a great sore to me. and like shiela, i have this great top that it waaaaay too big but i am keeping it and maybe i can alter it or something. frustrations... just that i'm not to the next size smaller yet.

What is the best thing that happened to you?

i'm starting to feel comfortable. i can sit on david's lap with out (ok, with less) fear of damage. i bounce around a little more. i don't feel everyone staring at me.

david made me realize that i had never really tried. i'm unlike some of you in that i haven't been on a bunch of diets and gained again. i think i wrote down what i ate one week while i was 17 or something. didn't count calories though. and i'd occasionally drink a slim fast. cuz you know, one can might make me lose! but this time, i actually committed to doing it and learning about what i had to do to do it right.

And what do you do to ward off becoming complacent?

this is a bad question for me to answer because it's how i feel right now. i am just keeping it going as best i can. every day i slip, but i start over the next day. it's all i can do. and then i try to think, hey, i'll just stay this weight, i'm much thinner than i ever was... but i know, deep down, that i'm still too flabby for my own liking. so i keep on.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:13 PM   #7  
Losing Again!

I'm making this transition now. I was certainly surprised in October when a saleslady in Ann Taylor encouraged me to try on a size 16 dress-and it fit!
Like others have said, it's been disappointing saying goodbye to some of my favorite old clothes and not wanting to spend lots of money on new clothes that I'm not going to be wearing for long.
Like Holly said, I'm frustrated that I'm not getting into the next size a soon as I'd like.

Not being sad about the fact that our Lane Bryant is closing. Being able to buy jeans at Old Navy, bras and undies from Victoria's Secret and other fun stuff like that.

Again, like Holly, I never really tried to do anything about my weight prior to joining WW. I might have watched what I ate for a couple of weeks. But now I've made a committment to myself and the progress I've seen makes it worth it.

Holly and I must be in some weight loss warp
I really got comfortable with the program I'm doing, and haven't really been losing much, I think I've only lost 15 pounds since August, but in those months I've dropped 2 clothes sizes, so somethings happening. I'm getting back to journaling now though, and hoping that I can start dropping at a somewhat steady pace again.

The other day I put together some pictures from throughout the year, and documented my progress, that was serious motivation!
Old 01-16-2004, 05:26 PM   #8  
Work in Progress

ALL you woman are awesome and inspiring! I can't express the respect and admiration that reading about your journey causes me to feel about you. It sometimes seems like it is impossible, and yet you are all well on your way. SO i can do it!

Thank you again!
Old 01-19-2004, 09:50 AM   #9  

I wasn't nearly as excited to get into the regular sizes as I thought I would be! I feel a bit like I am "trespassing" in the regular clothing stores....I'm hoping that this feeling will go, as I get more solidly into regular clothes! Also - my body didn't shed the weight evenly....I am still borderline plus size on the bottom, but a size 12 on top!

I feel more confortable in public...I used to worry that people were looking at me and judging my appearance. I feel more comfortable trying things I would have avoided before (taking yoga, going swimming, meeting new people).

Like Dana & Holly, I had never REALLY tried to lose weight before. I exercised some, but never controlled my portions or food. I started to develop health problems...so I guess you could say I was "scared" into loosing weight!

For me, weight loss has been like walking down a set of stairs....I take one step and then kind of level off, take the next step, level off...I have allowed myself to back off and maintain, but never to give up and stop. I have been taking my time (almost 3 years!)...but never going backward. Trying to go a bit easier on myself...Rather than berating myself for having a few "off" days, reminding myself about how far I have come and what got me there!
Old 01-20-2004, 05:45 AM   #10  
Work in Progress

Thanks Kris, I read these posts and teh others and think I can do it. It is so much easier to stay or keep myself in old habits with the other voice saying the negative things. I am a firm believer that you get back what you put into it. When I was losing I was working at it. When I stopped working at it the weight came back. ANd it is all up to me.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:46 PM   #11  

Sounds like you are already doing it! Congratulations on the 15 pounds that you have lost so far. I am sure that you will continue to find inspiration on these boards - I know that I have!
Old 01-21-2004, 05:13 AM   #12  
Work in Progress

Thanks again, the contact and support are also something I need to stay connected with.
Closed Thread