View Single Post
Old 03-09-2014, 03:38 PM   #80
Shad

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning all,
I'll be coming and going all day today, so posts will be short and hopefully often.

Yes I went down to the sea. (The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner)
I must go down to the sea again,
The lonely sea and sky.
All I ask is a tall ship,
And a star to steer her by.

So, I took the bus to a place called Island Bay. It's on the south coast of Wellington and walked around the shore to Owhiro Bay and then to a place called Red Rocks. There is an old quarry just past Owhiro Bay and that is the end of the road as such. From there you walk through the gravelly sand and on unmade roads and paths to - well as far as you want to go really. The sea path goes all the way around the bottom of the island and then climbs hills and gullies and eventually gets back to civilisation. About 100km of walking tracks down there. But as I said, I only went as far as Red Rocks which is 6.5km (4.5 miles near enough) and plus the nearly 4km between Island Bay and the quarry. There I sat and watched the tide turn in and the rockpools fill up and suddenly thought that I might get back on the path since it seemed to be coming in quite rapidly. However I noticed several people chancing their luck on the way back. The whole walk took me 3.5 hours and today my feet are a bit on the sore side. I did take some photos and will try to get some up tonight after I have finished the housework that I didn't do over the weekend.
Back soon.