Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-03-2014, 12:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW242/CW207/GW150

Height: 5'3

Default Workout schedule?

Is it better to follow a workout schedule or just do whatever at the gym? When I was going I would do 30 minutes on the treadmill or elliptical then do 30 minutes of the machines. I didn't have a set schedule. Do you all find it better to have a set schedule where you work different body parts each day etc? If you have a schedule would you mind telling me yours thanks!
tinamariefitforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 125kg/108kg/90kg

Height: 158cm

I dont really have a set shedule. I go to the gym 3 times a week and I do the same thing there each day that I go. I have always been quite muscular, however I am not overly "fit" so I am choosing to focus on improving that aspect, so what I do at the gym is strictly cardio. I do 20 minutes on the elliptical, 30 minutes on the bike and 20 minutes on the rowing machine. Every "other" day, I do a 30 minute session of accelerated pilates, to help strengthen my core and back muscles, as I have had a bad back for many years, and the doctor and physio suggested giving pilates a try. Hope this helps? Goodluck on your journey!
caldawg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:08 AM   #3  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

I have set days for everything.

Tu, Thr and Sat I lift weights.
Wed, Fri and Sun I do aerobics.
I try to walk each and everyday, and a few times per week I squeeze a swim into the mix.

I usually exercise 2-3 times per day. I know it is a lot, but I can only drop weight when I keep moving. The diet alone only lets me to maintain.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:24 AM   #4  

Default Different strength training schedule every six weeks

I do 3 workouts per week of strength training and interval training (an hour per workout). I stick to schedules I found in weight lifting books which change every six weeks. Before I used a schedule, I was getting nowhere on machines.
simalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:43 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I don't go to the gym but I try to vary between aerobic and strength exercises day to day.

-Everyday I start my day with chi gong.
-Monday, Wednesday and Friday I do Tonique Fitness form youtube. It's the hardest thing I do.
-Weather permitting I go for a walk every day 30-45min
-a couple of times per week I do some strength training for my arms using free weights.
-when the weather gets warmer I plan on taking up tennis again

I also wear a pedometer all day every day. It keeps me motivated to complete my 10,000steps a day.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:51 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I always start and end my workouts with the treadmill. Usually it's a brisk 10-15 minutes to get my blood pumping, then I lift, then stretch/yoga, lift, stretch/yoga, and end with a short run and a moderate walk.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #7  
Irish dance addict

S/C/G: 145/145.4/125

Height: 5' 3"

If I don't have a schedule to follow, I'm too overwhelmed by choice and just can't figure out what to do and end up doing nothing. So, I have a rigid schedule but I do allow myself to relax it if necessary. The relaxation will be a bigger deal come summer when I will be hiking more. At the moment it looks like this:

Monday: Irish dance
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday: Running (working C25K plan right now - up to 25 min for me!)
Wednesday, Friday, Sunday: Weightlifting (I do a program from the New Rules of Weightlifting for Women)

Sometimes running days are replaced with some more Irish dance. I also allow myself to switch out running for hiking, and if I need a rest day or time to fit in more hiking I drop lifting on Sunday and just lift for two days that week (Wed and Fri).

A few days have been too cold for running outside. I replace those with either a 30 min session on the rowing machine or one of the 30 day shred videos. I don't belong to a gym, so I don't have access to a treadmill or most other equipment.
atmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:23 PM   #8  
fluffy

S/C/G: 204/201/174

Height: 5'6''

I consider the elliptical and the treadmill to be full body workouts and honestly, I think I can do all the other exercises - like lifting weights at home. So when I go to the gym, I only do cardio for 40-50 minutes and afterwards some sit-ups and stuff like that if I have the time and feel like it. I don’t have an exact routine.
Velvet bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:15 PM   #9  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmos View Post
Monday: Irish dance
Oh, I want to do this!

I like to have a plan when I go to the gym. I feel more conspicuous when I don't know what to do next. If I have a purpose, I'm more confident exercising in front of everyone else.
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote