View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
Wannabeskinny

S/C/G: 215/199/150

Height: 5'4"

OP, you're right to identify sources of stress and try to eliminate them. Dealing with stress is really important because if we don't deal with it then it will have its way with us!!

Never feel guilty about distancing yourself from someone who is not a good influence. There are times when I'm around people who make me feel icky or make me feel like I'm not being my true self and although it may be difficult (because they are family or coworkers), you have to keep a sense of psychological distance, especially if you can't physically be away from them. It's called protecting yourself.

Good luck and don't be too hard on yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoalWeightIs140 View Post
As I read your post about someone in your life being severely depressed, I thought about a friend from high school who has recently come back into my life. Being over 50, we've experienced a LOT since graduation, but somehow we just clicked like we were never apart. But a few weeks ago when she met me for lunch and shopping, she stayed about 10 minutes, stood up and said she wasn't feeling well, and left. haven't heard from her since. I'm wondering if it was me, or her, who's to blame . . . maybe I'm reading more into this. Being overweight it's easy to blame yourself for everything, even when it simply isn't your fault. We need to learn to not take on everyone's problems as our own.
Very curious. Have you reached out to her since then?

"Binging is a descent into a world where every restriction... is cut loose. At its core is a feeling of deprivation.. a feeling you can never get enough. Binges do not signify a lack of willpower or inability to care for yourself. On the contrary, binges are a urgent attempt to care for yourself when you feel uncared for. They are the voice of survival. Binges are the mark of the self that says, 'I am tired of feeling deprived, of being told I am wrong, that I am bad." - Geneen Roth
Wannabeskinny is offline   Reply With Quote