View Single Post
Old 03-02-2014, 12:43 PM   #2
dare 2 dream
Never give up

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi! I've been on Synthroid since August 2013, and had a total thyroidectomy April 2013. I didn't react that way at all to the medicine. I had the 50+ lbs of weight gain and the brittle hair and nails before I was diagnosed as Hypothyroid. Since starting Synthroid, I haven't gained any more weight and have actually lost 10 lbs since my surgery without changing anything. I am only now starting to seriously change my eating habits and develop an exercise routine.

The main thing is to make sure that you keep your hormones at the proper level, which can be pretty difficult. I would recommend going in for blood work every 2-3 months until both your hormone levels and symptoms are staying under control.

The main thing I have learned is DON'T settle for your doctor telling you everything looks good if you're still feeling off! Normal is definitely not the same for everyone. I tend to feel best when my TSH is between 1.0-1.5, but you may need to be either lower or higher to feel your best. Good luck!

dare 2 dream is offline   Reply With Quote