Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/216/180

Height: 5'4"

Default I won't weigh, anyone else?

I've decided to stay away from the scale and go by my clothes. Even though I'm about to complete my third week on this diet I can tell my clothes are just a tad loser. My goal is to get into my smaller jeans which are one size smaller. Being that my mom is one size smaller than myself I can see how I will look when I get there being that we're built exactly the same. I just can't stand what the scale can do to my head.

Anyone else not weighing in during their journey?
Waterbunny77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'6"

Scales trigger a negative response in me. I have thrown my scales away twice now (as in literally throwing two scales I purchased in the bin). I thought I could handle it when I bought my second scales two years into maintenance but no, I couldn't, so hence my throwing it away the second time!

So go for it, I say. Don't worry about the scales if you know you're eating right. Apart from clothing size, measurements can be useful too.
magical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:30 AM   #3  

For me I think scales causes more anxiety than ever. My heart pounding before I get on the scale and then to make sure of the number I get off and on about 10 times. You see why I'm through with them?
Old 03-01-2014, 04:36 AM   #4  
Blessed Person Here

S/C/G: Going/Still going/Gone

Height: 5' 1''

lol to show you you're not the only one here's an emoticon

For the climbing it 10 times too, I'm guilty!
When I started my journey I vowed to weigh myself once in a week. I'd been doing that for years, for my most recent diets. But I slipped in the pattern of weighing myself several times in the morning. For what reason I don't know
thirti4thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:26 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I have to say I am a scale addict but I'm trying to release the scale. I think I rather trust the process and know that if I'm exercising and eating how I am, that I will lose weight. And the scale is such a fickle thing as it weighs everything even when I've had too much salt or my hormones cause bloating. I can tell you for one thing, I can fit in a smaller size pair of jeans that I couldn't a month ago.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:47 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

I wouldn't mind my scale at all if it were accurate. I spend more time moving the darn thing around trying to get an accurate reading that in the end I think it does more harm than good. LOL I've seen it vary up to 10 lbs! So in one spot I'm crying a river and if I move it a foot I'm ecstatic! In the end, if it's not giving me the correct information I figure why bother.

I started weighing myself at the gym. It has been spot on each time and I limit myself to about a once a week weigh in. The only downside is I like to weigh without my clothes. Since I don't want to scare away anyone I just leave them on. Sure I want to see the "smaller" number but since I wear the same things to the gym it's easy to track my progress and I always remind myself to subtract 4-5 lbs for my true weight.
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:08 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

I'm trying so hard to release the scale, at least cutting down how much I use it. One thing that I do love is my fitbit, it keeps me moving all day long and it needs your weight to be logged in order to tell you a more accurate calorie burn. I'm thinking log once a month instead of weekly. But i don't know, I don't want to have to depend on the scale.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:11 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

For me, not weighing is about denial. I skip the scale because I don't want to know (like not opening bank statements.) But really I do know, I know I've been eating too much, not having enough water and not working out. So, I've stopped skipping the scale.

I also go buy my measurements, pants and general feeling of fitness, too. That way the scale is just one of a number of tools, not the sole arbiter of my progress.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #9  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
For me, not weighing is about denial. I skip the scale because I don't want to know (like not opening bank statements.) But really I do know, I know I've been eating too much, not having enough water and not working out. So, I've stopped skipping the scale.

I also go buy my measurements, pants and general feeling of fitness, too. That way the scale is just one of a number of tools, not the sole arbiter of my progress.
Same here. It's a reality check and serves to refocus me when feel myself straying into old unhealthy eating patterns. When I'm eating well & the scale isn't showing that, sure I feel disappointed but it's just one day out of 365. Weighing everyday means any single reading doesn't bother me. I've been known to obsess and step on it a few times, but mostly not--it wears out the battery, lol!

Last edited by mars735; 03-01-2014 at 11:27 AM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:50 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
Same here. It's a reality check and serves to refocus me when feel myself straying into old unhealthy eating patterns. When I'm eating well & the scale isn't showing that, sure I feel disappointed but it's just one day out of 365. Weighing everyday means any single reading doesn't bother me. I've been known to obsess and step on it a few times, but mostly not--it wears out the battery, lol!
Me too. I end up gaining weight during "maintenance" partly because I stop weighing myself. I am still working on a strategy to make sure I keep weighing myself when I am at goal to make sure that my WOE is keeping me in my goal weight range.

But I am all for not obsessing over the scale numbers while losing weight. Little bumps up are inevitable and if you focus too much on the numbers, those bumps can be very disheartening. So, if you feel you can keep yourself accountable with the tape measure or how your clothes feel, then go for it!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:06 PM   #11  

I am currently maintaining my weight loss (have been for more than two years), but during the entire time I was losing, I never weighed myself. I tend to give the scale too much power over my moods, so I decided I would just go by my clothes. Even now, I only weigh myself occasionally (once every few months) to just be sure that I'm not fooling myself. So far, it has worked out fine.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 273/196/163

Height: 5'8

In November last year, I had a 'mini breakdown' about my weight. I was going insane because the number on the scale wasn't dropping. Even if I did lose weight, like a pound, I would cry because I wanted to lose the weight faster. (Seriously, I was upset about losing a pound!) It wasn't until my mother stepped in, and we had a seriously discussion, and I have not weighed myself since. The scale was making me obsessed with losing weight instead of becoming healthy. I was restricting and exercising more, hoping to see the number on the scale drop. Now, I'm focusing on losing weight to become healthy. But I am no longer obsessed with the number. No more weigh ins for me!
madelinerose94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:06 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by madelinerose94 View Post
In November last year, I had a 'mini breakdown' about my weight. I was going insane because the number on the scale wasn't dropping. Even if I did lose weight, like a pound, I would cry because I wanted to lose the weight faster. (Seriously, I was upset about losing a pound!) It wasn't until my mother stepped in, and we had a seriously discussion, and I have not weighed myself since. The scale was making me obsessed with losing weight instead of becoming healthy. I was restricting and exercising more, hoping to see the number on the scale drop. Now, I'm focusing on losing weight to become healthy. But I am no longer obsessed with the number. No more weigh ins for me!
What a struggle, thanks for sharing! I started weighing myself after several years of denial. And I swore that even if I was gaining I'd keep getting on that scale because I'd never go into denial again. But now I'm realizing that it's no longer helpful. When I gain a pound I feel terrible. When I lose a pound I feel scared that I'll regain it. I'm trying to focus on how I feel in my clothes instead. It's so hard not stepping on that thing!!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:13 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 273/196/163

Height: 5'8

Wannabeskinny - Yes, I'm focusing on how my clothes feel and my measurements (which I take every couple of months) instead. Perhaps, I'll weigh myself in the future, it really depends on my mental wellbeing. I don't want to become obsessed with it again and let the number consume me, so when I feel like I'm in a better headspace and I'm not concerned with the number, I might weigh myself every once in a while.

I think what I needed to understand, and many others too, is that the scale is not a reliable measurement. Your weight can be affected by so many things: water weight, your menstrual cycle, the time of the day, something you ate, etc. I think sticking to taking your measurements and going my clothing sizes is better
madelinerose94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:20 PM   #15  

Interesting posts, good to hear how everyone views the scale. It just plainly makes me crazy so I had to let it go if I wanted to keep sane and it doesn't hinder my weight loss.

So what do you think is more accurate, analogue or digital scale? What's been your experience? I've never owned a digital and if I wanted to start weighing again I'm very suspicious of the digital ones, just don't have faith in the computer when it comes to my weight. Though the upside is that it shows ounces so I wonder if it's really worth it?