Old 02-19-2014, 11:10 AM   #1  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

Default W.O.W. Women on WEED Spring is Near Challenge!

Women on WEED!!

For any newbies, the traditional copy and paste:

Women on... WHAT??

Okay, let me explain that "Women on WEED" is not what you might be thinking. During previous challenges, a group of us formed a great bond, and we've been challenge buddies ever since. We use the word "WEED" as a mnemonic device to set daily goals, an easy and very specific way to remind yourself during your day to take care of your body, and to nurture your Mind, Mouth and Muscles... it really does help. After all, we are all taking this a day at a time, right?

If you join this challenge, you will see it often - and you are encouraged to give it a try. Here's what it stands for:

W - Water intake. Set a daily goal for how much water you're going to drink. Although there is conflicting research as to how much to actually consume in a day, we all agree it is important to drink lots to stay healthy. So make it a goal!

E - Exercise. Efficient, healthy weight loss isn't going to happen unless you incorporate some kind of physical activity in your life. Everyone does it differently; some go to the gym, some work out at home, and some find ways to sneak in little bits of exercise all throughout the day. Set yourself a goal, even if it's small. Little bits done often WILL add up over time!

E - Eats. Being that we all have different eating plans and weight loss philosophies, this is sort of a wild card. Whatever plan you're on, set yourself a plan-appropriate daily eating goal for the day. Don't forget to make it specific!

D - Daily goal/Daily affirmation. This is another wild card. It doesn't even have to be weight-loss related! This is the spot where you list something you want to get accomplished. Or, you can use "D" for a a daily affirmation - it's an opportunity to say something good and positive about yourself. Sometimes, when we fall short - and we ALL do sometime - we are tempted to berate ourselves. Although it's good to recognize when we don't reach our goals, it's also good to remind ourselves of the awesome parts of ourselves. So go ahead and remind yourself of that in the "D" part of WEED.

Well here it is! Jump right in, tell us about yourselves, your goals, your home lives, your healthy plan, etc. We LOVE newbies! And we LOVE our regulars! Welcome back!
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #2  
Calorie Counter

Hi! I'm Jeni, Wife, and mother of two. Mak is 10 and Tommy is 8. I spent a long time losing weight after my kids were born. I went from 199lbs down to about 135. Using WEED. Then about four years ago I had an on the job injury, followed by depression. I gained weight. July 22, 2013 I was at 180 and decided enough was enough. I committed to working out and calorie counting and it has paid off.

I decided that I was not going to make the same mistakes I made last time. In order to get to 135 I was working out 3 hours a day~3 days a week 1 hour ~ day 4 days a week, and only eating 1200 calories. That weight was not maintainable for me. I wanted a weight that was manageable for me.

I set my goal at losing 30 pounds by March 8. (Annual family vacation). My plan was (and still is)
W 80-100 oz
E 35 minute run on workdays (I work 12 hour shifts, on my feet all day) and 60minute + run on my days off.
E 1350 calories (I am at 1300 cals now) I don't eat bread/pasta/rice/potatoes at night. I guess its known as "the no white at night" diet.
D~I can do it. (I went through some marital issues that really screwed with my head and self esteem that I am still working on now.)

I do weigh in everyday, but I only count my official W/I on the 22 of each month.

My stats:
July 22~180
August 22~172.8
September 22~160.8 (I am not proud of this weightloss month because I was going through a lot emotionally and not eating at all. I also didn't workout much, so I didn't earn it. But it has stayed off)
October22~150.2
November 22~149.8
December 23~151.6
January ~~~145.2 At this W/I I had lost just about 35 pounds! More than my goal. Maintainable so far, I am continuing on with my plan. If I lose more great, if not great! I am still setting fitness goals, and enjoying my new way of eating. I have one more W/I before my vacation. (its in 4 days). Then my "final" w/I will be on March 7. Don't worry I still plan on being here with my WEED gals and setting my goals and staying accountable for my maintenance program!

I recently (like two weeks ago) started drinking green smoothies. I am so in love with them. My energy level has increased so much AND my skin is looking amazing!

We, on this challenge bored talked about maybe doing the Tinkerbell half marathon next year at Disneyland. Whether we do it or not, I have decided to train for the half. My longest distance so far has been 8.32 miles. Then I caught a cold and am still in the process of bringing my stamina back up. My normal 65 minute run has been about 5.25 miles.

I really need to start doing some toning work. Build muscle. I may weigh more, or the same but I will still be shrinking in size.

Todays:
W: 80 oz
E: really hoping to do a long run today but my goal is atleast 65 minutes******I'm editing this to post my run 2 hours 9.5 miles!! ******
E 1300 cals
D back to toning work. My goal for this challenge is to do a five to ten minute toning workout everyday!

Okay~ That's me.

Last edited by jcatron243; 02-19-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 253.2/215.2/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi fellow weeders! I am Carma. Wife and mother of 2. Zach age 11 Gabby age 9. I have been married to my DH for 19 years this may. I am a nurse who currently gets paid to watch people exercise in Cardio-pulmonary rehab. I did many years in critical care working 12 hour shifts. The kids are now old enough so I now have the ability for a Monday-Friday job. No weekends no holidays.
I started my weight loss journey last January, 2 months after my Mother was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer. My mother had hated me gaining weight and it was a topic of constant criticism from her. My father died of a massive heart attack when I was almost 19. Since I was 41 with a BMI of 40.8 and had started my new less stress job in Cardiac rehab, I started calorie counting and adding exercise in. I lost 54 lbs last year (Low of 198.9) but gained 18lbs back when my MIL passed away in December. My Mom passed away in June.
I am back calorie counting and am now a fitbit user. I have started training for a 5K which will be March 9th. I have completed week 8 Day 1.
Current weight as of this morning 209.2. I need to measure myself soon to see what happens with inches.
My weed for this week
W 100oz
E 300 minutes minimum/13000 steps a day
E 1720 calories. Today was a fail.
D: It's not the destination, it's the journey that you need to pay attention to.
soon2beskinnyCarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:56 PM   #4  

Diana: Will gladly send moisture your way. Now if you can just get mother nature to commit. Someone from my Yoga class just went to San Diego and she said it rained most of the days she was there. I've always wanted to see Portland maybe I could jet out there. Lol.

Jeni: I can't believe how disciplined you are on your runs. Great job. Feeling the mid month hormonal pain eating. I have just over 1 week to get back on track. Goal was 204 by the end of the month.

Mavis: Hope your husbands bday was good. Thanks for the news on Kris.

Mindy: I too am done with snow. Ugh. Next year I am buying snow shoes or cross country ski's.

Kris: I am sorry about your grandfather. Thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:25 AM   #5  
mtiger

S/C/G: 251.5/177/145

Wink

Jeni- Thanks for the new thread. You have done awesome with your weight loss. You might want to do some weight training and build some beautiful muscle. Plus it is kind of fun...reaching new goals.

Carma- Sometimes life throws us that one two punch. You have done great getting right back up and moving on, taking care of yourself. Good luck with the 5K. Will you be running in snow??

Following my workout from bodybuilding.com and my new eating plan is from a book called one, one, one. One carb, one protein and one fat at each meal. Balance is the key. I am sore in arms and chest and have lost a few pounds. Maybe this will work.

For those who dont know me my name is Mindy, I married my high school sweetheart almost 3 years ago. We have 4 grown kids between us and one grandbaby. YIKES!! I teach 4th grade in Mich. Done with winter this year.
mtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:13 AM   #6  
Calorie Counter

Carma~ mid-cycle gains and munchies always bother me because I should have more control over myself, but I don't. I guess as long as I continue to workout and eat right the rest of the time It should be okay.

Mindy~ I'm glad you have lost a few pounds! I hope this plan works for you! The last time around the block, I refused to weight train until I was in the "normal" weight category. I'm back there again and I know I need to get to the gym to weight train. When I am there with DH on Tuesday nights, I really should use him and have him help me around the free weights, but I don't. I can't use the gym treadmills for longer than 35 minutes (I have pushed it when it is slow). So I stay on my own treadmill and don't make it in. SO now that I have given my excuses, I plan on going into the gym today for a low/no impact workout and weights. Once I get in a routine I follow it!

Well I guess I am going to be DH's assistant coach for Tommy's basketball team. I am going to buy "Coaching Basketball for Dummies" I checked it isn't about coaching dummies. It is a co-ed team. It is going to be great!

I wasn't prepared for the hunger that came with my run yesterday. I ended up eating back what I burned plus my 1300 cals. I have to be okay with it, the hunger meant my body needed it, but next time I do a distance run I will make sure that I use extra protein after my run (I only used 3/4 of a scoop=22 grams of protein, added with everything else I got about 27 grams). I've been reading about post-run snacks, the one that comes up most is chocolate milk, but I am sticking to my smoothies.

My good friend told me she was joining the Y, and asked if I would show her "what works". I told her I would show her what works for me, but I am a terrible workout partner. I want my tunes and my space. I will absolutely go in to encourage her. Tell her my strategy for weight loss. I won't be able to be a permanent workout partner, but I will help her to begin with! The Y is offering a free 45 minute session of personal training, maybe we will take that!

W 80 oz
E 60 minutes~ thinking 45 cardio 15 weights *****Editing: I did about 50 minutes cardio then 15 minutes on the nautalis machines doing arms, then I came home for a 5 minute ab workout. **************
E 1300 cals
D Get to the gym, Do weights, NO EXCUSES!

Last edited by jcatron243; 02-20-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:34 AM   #7  
Calorie Counter

I hope everyone is well. I tried my hand at baking salmon last night. As much as I know that fish is good for you, my family doesn't like it. DH and I ate the salmon, but the kiddos protested and ended up with hotdogs. The salmon turned out very tasty. Next I am going to try to get my hubby to try Tilapia!

Workday:
W 64 oz
E 35 minute run/5 minute abs/5 minute legs
E 1300 cals
D 2 week countdown!!! Time to pull out shorts and tanks to see which ones fit!
Old 02-21-2014, 07:25 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/120

Height: 5'2''

Morning! Thank you Jeni for the new thread! I'll be back on the weekend for intros!

W 100
E Day off, back is killing me this am, skipping my class, will likely run on the dreadmill tonight if it's better
E POP
D Positive vibes!
mothermavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:45 AM   #9  
DIANA

S/C/G: 179(H)/166/150(G)

Good Morning Ladies!

Hi fellow weeders, some things about myself. Farm lifestyle, artist, mother of graduating senior this June. I have been an emotional/entertainment eater and need encouragement to workout in the winter. I gained 8 pounds during the holidays (yikes) and need to shed those 8 plus probably an additional 4 to feel my best. I have been working most of my 59 years to not have food/weight issues. I am trying to go back to what I learned on JM's site about eating and exercise. I am writing down my food as if I have to show it to Jillian at the end of the day and don't want her to kick my butt. For exercise I am trying to work back into 4 days of intense training(either circuits or hiit training) and 2 days of lighter aerobic training. I'm not there yet but I'm a work in progress.

W- 50 oz of water.
E- Jillian circuit.
E- Write down & act as if showing to Jillian for approval.
D- I am a work in progress.
workinglikeadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:14 PM   #10  
Calorie Counter

What NOT to do~ skip your 2:00 snack and work through your break! two granola bars later (and a cup of coffee). I hope it doesn't bite me in the side during my run! On the positive side~I should still be at my calorie mark!

Have to share my excitement ~ my 2 yo niece who has been in foster care since July is FINALLY being reunited with my family. My Mom (who should have gotten her a long time ago) FINALLY was able to get her today! My mom opted to go the full foster care license route and not just for family which extended the whole process. So next weekend (I work this weekend) We are going to give her a birthday party and Christmas since we didn't get to see her. I would have taken her into my home very gladly, but my house doesn't pass inspection. (officially my house has two bedrooms, DH and I use a spare room that doesn't have a closet as our room, so it doesn't count as a real bedroom.) Now I just wish I didn't work tomorrow, I miss her so much!
Old 02-22-2014, 05:33 AM   #11  
Calorie Counter

MM~I really hope you're back gets feeling better.

Diana~ what is hiit training?

July 22~180
August 22~172.8
September 22~160.8 (I am not proud of this weightloss month because I was going through a lot emotionally and not eating at all. I also didn't workout much, so I didn't earn it. But it has stayed off)
October22~150.2
November 22~149.8
December 23~151.6
January ~~~145.2
Febuary~~142.6

Lost a couple of pounds this month! That's pretty good. My food intake and workouts are definitely maintainable. I'm having trouble trying to figure out a good way to get weights and strength training into my workout. I don't want to give up my hour run, and I cant stay on the treadmill for an hour at the treadmill at the Y, do I run at home, then hop in the car and head to the Y? or cut back on my running and solely workout at the Y? I'm not sure how I will manage it, but I will. I am sure there will be a good compromise, I just haven't figured it out yet. I had a great workout last night! I didn't have enough time to do all of the weight circuit that I wanted too, but it was nice.

W 64 oz
E 35 minute run
E1500 cals~ it is carb night. I haven't added up the calories in our dinner yet, so I am going to over shoot it. (I hope)
D Stay calm~Stay positive~Control the Controlable

Last edited by jcatron243; 02-22-2014 at 05:35 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #12  

Mindy: did a trainer come up with a plan at bodybuilding.com or did you just come up with something on your own? That's awesome on marrying your high school sweetheart later in life. lol I hope I am not running in the snow. Last night I ran my 28 minutes in the house with my iPod on my arm.

Diana: I like your write down for Jillian's approval. I google hiit workout and was pleased to find a free site. I am all about the free workout's that is why I do MFP for my diet. With this lousy weather I need an indoor workout alternative and am hesitant about joining a gym unless it is a month by month pay option.

Jeni: that is so great about your niece. Enjoy your belated holiday's. I wish we had a y near us. My closest is 45 minutes away.

Mavis: sorry to hear your back is sore. Lol on dread ill.

Kris: hope your back with us soon.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:59 AM   #13  

Weed for weekend

W: 100 oz. only thing I have been consistently doing right.
E: going to try and get a 2 hr workout today & tomorrow. Hoping for 20000 steps both days. C25k w8d3& w9d1 should help that goal.
E: today is iffy for diet. Mystery food party. Tomorrow going to shoot for 1500 calories.
D: must record all food.
Scale was 208.8 this morning hope it isn't later weighing in trickery. I got 8 hrs sleep though. That must help.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #14  
The Sky is the Limit!

S/C/G: 227/ticker/145

Morning Girls -

Still around, just working on life. As probably already know, my grandpa passed away (Feb 10). Funeral delayed until this coming Monday to allow family to get here and coordinate church and National Cemetary. THEN on Feb 14th my hubby's grandpa passed away. His services were Wednesday.

Needless to say, its been a rough couple weeks. I did sign up for WW again. I haven't done a good job of tracking just yet, but will go whole-hearted after Monday.

Still not in the new house, but we have been pushing through every extra minute to get it completed. I am pooped and just want it to be next weekend already. Something back to normal would be great.

Hope you all are well. If I can manage a glass of wine and some down time tonight, I'll be back to catch up on you! Thanks for your thoughts & prayers

Kris
Nixmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:59 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 180/120

Height: 5'2''

Aw Kris, definitely a rough couple of weeks. Hope you are back soon. Good luck on the house!

Carma, You've done awesome with C25K, there is a free 10k app too if you decide you want to keep at it.

Jeni, Congrats on the loss and getting your niece back! Enjoy!

Mindy, How goes the new plan?

Working, Love me some Jillian! We had exercise TV for a while and I loved to do her workouts!

OK, so here I goes. I'm 47, ugh! Wife, mother and tired. I have also fought with my weight for as long as I can remember. Trying to get it done for the long haul. Want to get back down to something around 125 and then we will see. I work 2 jobs and take care of my 91 yr old father in law. Carving out "me" time is hard, but I get up and leave the house before 6 am so I can go to the Y before work. It works for me.

W 100
E Already ran for 45 minutes and did an upper body workout
E OP, green smoothie for breakfast and awesome Tuscan soup for lunch. Chicken something for dinner
D Keep making good choices
mothermavis is offline   Reply With Quote