View Single Post
Old 03-01-2014, 08:09 AM   #2
BillBlueEyes

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Thanks for the many congratulations for the streak of 100. My snacks-on-plan streak continues, but I'll stop the public counting at the 100 mark. Perhaps I'll conjure a monthly goal to follow with exercise, but I haven't thought of just what yet. Last night was a great opportunity to ignore a table of snacks that weren't on my eating plan, CREDIT moi. Dinner was takeout from the local Thai place. We each brought our 'small' order home; halved it; served and enjoyed. Half of 'small' does become a modest dinner, but sufficient and good practice in moderation. DW added Clementines for balance.

Exercise was a walk and dancing, CREDIT moi. I worked on keeping the walking pace brisk which was easy to remember in the cold.

onebyone – Ouch for the crabby phase of human relationships. Kudos for going forward instead of simply burning down the house or mayhem or murder. Yep, Kudos for giving yourself credit for your "no sugar streak."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for remembering to give yourself a reward. That triggered me so I just Amazoned Kandel's book, The Age of Insight that I so thoroughly enjoyed but had returned to the library. Now I can leisurely reread. Thanks for the reminder.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Super Kudos for completing your project by the end of February - you get to leave both behind.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Ouch for all those hurts from working out. LOL at "I would not be the ideal customer I am sure." Enjoyed the links. Neat idea that Edible Balcony - perhaps the solutions to many of the problems of cities.

ladym0208 – Yay for "No choice" about exercise - even at 5:30 am. Wonderful mindfulness, "I just knew it was time to stop."

nationalparker – Will keep your dad's pending lung biopsy in my thoughts as you're all required to just wait for results. Kudos for counting the donut and moving forward.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Just boggling that Fiddler on the Roof keeps on entertaining folks. Neat new avatar.

flnu - Remarkable Kudos for "going unremarkably" - just as it should be as we enjoy life. Happy vacation - hope you see parts of the country new to you.

Readers - Diverting from our normal quotes from Dr. Judith Beck because the world’s favorite Nobel-winning neuroscientist offers a cogent summary of the world’s favorite psychologist, whose work is the basis for what we're doing here.
Quote:
PLACING PSYCHOTHERAPY ON A SCIENTIFIC BASIS: FIVE EASY LESSONS

In the 1960's, Aaron Beck changed all that by introducing several major obvious but nevertheless elegant and beautiful innovations:

...Fourth, he carried out, with the help of several colleagues, progressively better-controlled studies showing that cognitive behavioral therapy worked more effectively than placebos, and as effectively as antidepressants, in mild and moderate depression. In severe depression, it did not act as effectively as an antidepressant but acted synergistically with antidepressants to enhance recovery.
[NB: This ends the Kandel summary despite the discrepancy between 'Fourth' and 'FIVE EASY LESSONS.']

Eric R. Kandel in This Explains Everything, Edited by John Brockman, pg 293
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 7 years and 1 month