Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-24-2014, 04:54 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat February 24 - March 2

Local weather has improved with days regularly getting into the 50's F. Sidewalks are clear so that walking is easy. DW pointed out how many buds are visible on the huge American Elm next door. My heart begins to think that spring might just come.

I'm thriving on my new kick to get my snacks under control, which was useful for getting through the Thanksgiving..Christmas eating season and is useful now for getting through the Girl Scout Cookie season. Good grief! What I just typed reminds me that the demonic sellers of junk have figured out a new meaning of To everything there is a season.

To restore my mental balance, I'll reprint the Wiki version of Turn, Turn, Turn:
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, a time to reap that which is planted;
A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

Now I'll try to think of sane eating as "A time of peace."
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:17 AM   #2  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

RIP the wonderful Pete Seeger.

Good morning!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Good morning all. Very strong starting post this week Bill. Congrats on your resolve in curbing the snacking. My challenge this week will be to cut back on the caffeine again, drink my 2 bottles of water every day, and make it to restorative yoga on Sunday.

I am still going through the deep freeze up here - minus 22 forecast from this coming Thursday through next weekend. I hope to be under my red line : when the warmer temps break. Then I can do some calorie restriction, counting, etc. to see how low I can go for summer.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:03 AM   #4  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I'm just happy to be here at Monday. It was a long weekend with show choir stuff both Friday and Saturday night (they were great!). We are pretty much on "normal" chaos for this week and I can deal with that. Hopefully DS has only a couple more weeks of launch support and being gone all week, and I think we'll have a functional bathroom on Wednesday.

I am NOT looking forward to another 10 days of forecasted below-freezing weather. At least there's very little precipitation. The only positive aspect of it is that the driveway should stay passable. It's been a bit of a luge run, which is kinda fun when you have good skid control technology and get a good running start at it. My own personal Olympic event - getting from the street to the garage!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I read this morning that we might be getting some much needed rain here this week. My only hope is that it comes now rather than the weekend. We have tickets for an outdoor blues concert on Saturday called Rhythm, Wine and Brews (lots of wineries and breweries offering samples during the 12 hour concert). It is a rain or shine concert and umbrellas are not allowed.

My weight was good yesterday but inched up a tad this morning. Eating was all off due to the trip to LA even though I chose salad for lunch--that Caesar dressing will kill you!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:29 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I'm getting out of the hospital today.

I am behind on everything work-related. And you know what? The sky didn't fall, and the world didn't come to an end.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:45 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
I'm getting out of the hospital today.

I am behind on everything work-related. And you know what? The sky didn't fall, and the world didn't come to an end.
Obviously you're not doing enough of that "joyless striving" JayEll - .
Glad they sprang you!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:12 AM   #8  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

JayEll, great news!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:38 AM   #9  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

JayEll, thanks for letting us know! And yeah, somehow it seems that all the work will happily wait for you to get back.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #10  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Glad you're going home Jay!

We had a lovely warm day Saturday and took the girls to the zoo for the first time. I think they liked it because they sat quietly in their stroller for over two hours staring at everything. We need to do more activities that engage their attention like that -- these days in the afternoon they get very fussy because they are bored with all their toys, and we end up putting them in their high chairs and giving them cheerios because they are very interested in picking up the cheerios and popping them in their mouths and can occupy themselves for half an hour working on a handful of cheerios.

The only thing they seem to want to do in their playroom is pull themselves up on the gate and try to climb it. Of course this usually results in them falling over and hitting their heads and crying though. Oh well, I guess that's how they learn, right? We do try to be there to stop them from hitting their heads but you can't be everywhere all the time.

Carter is still doing really well with the gated playroom. He mostly just ignores the babies in there and hangs out in his dog bed(s) or on the couch, then comes out at cheerio time. He eats the ones they drop on the floor, then once they're out of the chairs he cleans up anything they left behind.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I bet you are more than ready to get out JayEll! When I was pregnant, I was put in the hospital at 25 weeks for many complications. I was told I would have to stay there the remainder of my pregnancy. I begged and begged to be released and promised I would do anything they asked. They let me go home after about 5 days and I stayed on bed rest the remainder of the pregnancy. Being at home is so much better than being in a hospital with them waking you at all hours!

My dd texted me this morning (she's away at college). She was up all night with what sounds like a horrible stomach virus. Poor baby. I feel so helpless that I can't go help her. She's hoping one of her roommates will go to the store and get her some gatorade and crackers when they wake up.

My weight is lower than it's been in well over a year. If I knew calorie counting would work so well for me, I would have done it a long time ago. I don't see a big difference on myself but my clothes are fitting better and my tummy looks less poochy. I'm just hoping I can keep it up.

My birthday is next Monday. My family is gone so I'll be alone. I have to work. I *might* take a sick day Tuesday (they are using the library all day for spring pictures so I might get some tests and doctor stuff done). If you were me.... would you: 1. stick to plan even though it's your birthday. Dh and I will be going on a weekend in Napa trip when he comes back later in March. 2. splurge because it's your birthday and you only live once.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:35 AM   #12  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

I'm getting ready to head to the city for a few days of work meetings. I'll stay up there for 3 nights. I'll have meetings all day, and then I'm sure evening dinners/drinks with colleagues from out of town who I don't see often (that is where all useful relationships happen in biology meetings, after hours). My goal is to not fall into the negativity that sometimes surrounds the evening sessions, and not to stress out too much. I would say my goal is to do well on the 15 min presentation I have to give, but I don't think my performance will really be judged by how well I do my job. Instead some arbitrary factor like if I use a certain buzz word enough or if the big boss is in a good mood tomorrow is what will determine things.

I spent the whole weekend doing class work and laundry and then found out that the small project I thought was due next weekend is due this Wednesday while I'm gone. Our hotel supposedly has free wireless so I should be able to work from there but I'm worried something will go wrong with the technology, and just worried I'll be overwhelmed with work stuff so I need to make it a priority. I'm heading home early from my main office to pack, work on the project, and then drive up. I'm a little on edge because in addition to the project I've been doing well eating healthily and exercising and don't want to get off track with this trip. I'll only be two hours from home but as always when I travel very much out of my comfort zone.

JayEll, I'm glad you finally get to go home. This infection sounds really nasty. I hope you're feeling better.

Jessica, hopefully spring will come soon and you'll have more opportunity to get the girls out where they can watch the world in the nicer weather.

Becky, your driveway sounds scary. Stay warm.

Allison, I hate it when you eat out and really try to pick something healthy, and something in the meal gets you.

Michele, it's your birthday. I think a meal/piece of cake/glass of wine from your favorite restaurant or bakery or winery, etc. is just fine to enjoy if that's what you want. Just because your family isn't there doesn't mean it's not a day to celebrate yourself in some way. Maybe you could treat yourself in another way, too. Get a pedicure or drop in for an extra yoga class.

Bill, thanks. A time of peace is sane eating. I'll try to keep that in mind this week.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I had a mixed weekend - I've been relegated to the treadmill for most of my runs this weekend. Yesterday I got outside and knocked 14 miles out at what was, for me, a blistering fast pace of 7:53 MM!

But then we were invited to a Daytona 500 party and since the race was rain delayed and I was starving from my run, I ended up at the food table inhaling everything I could get my hands on.

Consequently, both my CALVES and my STOMACH are paying the price today!!

I realized when I was in the shower this morning (yeah, I know) MICHELE - did I miss the full Henry Winkler report??!!??!!

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:40 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPie99 View Post
I realized when I was in the shower this morning (yeah, I know) MICHELE - did I miss the full Henry Winkler report??!!??!!

Jen
I don't recall if I reported back. It was amazing!!! He was the kindest, most genuine, person you could imagine. Funny, approachable... told great stories about himself, his kids, his grandkids. He read from his book and I recorded it to show my students. I have a great photo of him and myself together! I'm still on cloud nine about meeting him!!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:35 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

SO glad to hear it! So many celebrities are d-bags, it's great to hear of a guy I always assumed would be a nice guy, but you never know!

How does he look?
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote