Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 02-26-2014, 11:15 PM   #1  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Default Vent

Sorry all I just need to vent about something before my head explodes. I am part of a support group for WLS on facebook, we all had our surgery at the same site. Someone had a thread about cutting back to black coffee and I chimed in that I was trying to do the same, basically I have cut my sugar and cream in half. So rather than give me some credit another person comes on and says well what I am drinking is still loads of fat and carbs. Well no sh!t Sherlock!! Why do people have to do that? Why not just give a bit of credit or not even say anything, why do people feel the need to lecture? Did I ask for help? No I said wow great job cutting back to black coffee, I'm working towards the same goal then I get a lecture. you would not believe how often I have started a reply in almost any forum I've ever been on and then deleted it because really who needs a lecture from me? Some people have no filters.

Thanks for letting me vent!!!
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Sorry the forum didn't give you the support you deserve. Great job cutting back on your cream and sugar!

I also tried to do the same thing years ago and I never was able to stick with black coffee. I have managed to stabilize in a happy place with a heaping teaspoon of non-fat powdered milk and a pack of truvia. That's what works for me.

Good luck with your goals!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:39 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

Jen - ya gotta work what works FOR YOU! Personally - and really, this is just me [and I'd probably be bounced out of your facebook group for this!] - Since we can't eat much, i've vowed that I'll eat what I enjoy - even if it's just a couple of bites of chocolate, or a splash of real cream in something.

Don't get me wrong - if i drank most of my liquids in coffee throughout the day, you can be sure that I won't put cream in it! but for one cup? yes. definitely.

And i adopted this attitude after i had a meltdown during a post-op visit to the surgeon. I'd had TWO peanut M&Ms, and totally freaked. My surgeon stared at me. He said you mean, two HANDFULS [i said no - TWO M&Ms]. he said TWO BAGS??? [i said again, no - TWO M&Ms, and named the two colors].

He shook his head and said that the surgery WAS NOT a punishment, and as long as I kept things in perspective, treats were OK. and then went into the GRAVY discussion - as in 'if a couple of tablespoons of gravy will help you get your protein in and keep it down, then go for it.'

This is about making it work FOR US, not for someone else.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:26 PM   #4  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Thanks you two, I knew I could count on support here!
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:04 AM   #5  
GmaTo8

Jen, I'm proud of you! Every step we take towards our goal is great!

Jiff, thanks for sharing your M&M story. It really puts things in perspective!
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:35 AM   #6  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Jiffy I loved the M & M story too. Thank God for doctor's with perspective.

Jen, I once had a cardiologist tell me to "chew gum and eat nothing", that I "needed to get someone to yell at me like Jillian", and that "my only hope in life was to get on the Biggest Loser"

It devastated me. I was so ashamed. I did not seek medical care for a long time. The good news: now it makes me smile and laugh at how ridiculous her advice was. You went to school for 14 years so that you could tell me about "reality" TV

Hugs,

Dee

Last edited by activeadventurer; 03-02-2014 at 10:36 AM.
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote