Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-31-2014, 10:35 PM   #1  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile Ups & Downs Support Group: February 2014

Hello and to the Ups & Downs Support Group thread for February 2014!!! Please post to let us know you made it to the new thread or post and tell us a little bit about yourself if you are new to the group. All are welcome! We named the group "Ups & Downs" to reflect the many ups and downs of life on meds, of the weight loss journey, and of life in general.

I am posting this thread just a little bit shy of February 1st because I have a busy day Saturday, so I'm not sure when I will be checking in again. I am also going to bed early for a change, but I want the thread ready for all of you in the morning!

Hope all is well with everyone and that you make it onto the new February thread! Take good care! And thanks for being here!
IBelieveInMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:00 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Deleted

Last edited by penmage; 06-16-2014 at 08:49 PM.
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:30 AM   #3  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Howdy guys, I really apologize for being away for so long. Jeez, I really appreciate the well wishes, and I'm sorry for making you worry, Kathleen. I am usually much more consistent when I join a thread, but I've been going through H-E-L-L over my Belgian friend, Robine. I know it probably sounds ridiculous to get so worked up over someone who lives way over on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean and we haven't even met in person yet, but she and I have a LOT in common in our family constellations and histories of abusive & controlling parents. And I went to all the trouble to learn how to read & write in French for her, so there's been a big investment on my part in this friendship.

Anyway, long story short, she went into a crisis over her invasive & cruel mother (who's dead now: Robine & I are both in our late 50s) still dominating her life, and finally on the 29th of January she broke up with me, more or less. There's still a slim chance for our friendship to survive her crisis, but Robine is no longer writing to me because she projected so much of her feelings about her mother onto me, ultimately seeing ME as invasive & controlling, which she rationally realized is ridiculous, but couldn't get free from.

Don't y'all hate it when other people project their problem relationships into their relationship with you? That has got to be my least favorite behavior.

So I've gone through a lot of tears and a lot of grieving, but the good news is, I haven't acted out by eating cookies. In fact, I've stayed remarkably close to my modified Atkins meal plan. And I am still binge-free, ever since November 22nd.

Exercise-wise, I've been kind of held back because of my cardiology workup after the episode of angina I had on the 4th of January. So far the word is that I have an abnormal EKG showing "nonspecific left ventricular strain," whatever the heck that is, but due to scheduling problems because of gas main construction right in front of our house (!), I still don't have the results of my repeat stress test. So I'm doing my nightly leg workouts—half an hour of leg lifts, for a total of 600—but I haven't been able to get back into serious cardiovascular exercise. To tell the truth, I'm afraid to even go for a walk because it would be so easy for me to overdo it and get angina again.

Now that I've blabbed about all that, I will be more consistent with checking in here and responding to other people's issues. I read three pages of the January thread to get caught up, so all of you guys are in my thoughts tonight. Take care of yourselves, try to stay mellow about your weight loss situation, and don't let the bedbugs (depression) bite.
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:54 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/191/135

Height: 5 foot 6

Fiona That is so much to go through with your Beligan friend! I'm sorry to hear she is projecting feelings towards you but am so glad you've stayed strong in your efforts for yourself regardless of what else is happening. As for your cardio I think we'd ALL agree it's best to do exactly what you're doing and stick with weights and strength until you are cleared on the heart stuff, no one wants to see you have any other issues!!!

Stay strong though, you've got this!

penmage WELCOME!!!! And congrats on your weight loss thus far! I'm sorry you are feeling lost in your life! I am very close in age to you (just turned 26) and know exactly how that feels. It does seem to me though that even my friends without anxiety/depression like me seem to go thru the same struggle around this age. It's just a hard time in life to figure out and feel where you should be. We're here for you though. Welcome and feel free to post as much or as little as you want whatever makes you feel the best.

As for me I'm feeling pretty good just busy busy!!!

Last edited by LawGirl88; 02-01-2014 at 03:16 PM.
LawGirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:00 PM   #5  
Vegetarian, Low carb

S/C/G: 180/168.1/120

Hello friends! I have never introduced myself on this thread so here goes.

I have always had issues with anxiety and depression. I was diagnosed bipolar but the meds didn't help me at all and a second doctor later corrected my diagnosis to Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Over the years I have been on Effexor (which was HORRIBLE) and later Cymbalta, which I have now been on for several years and it seems to work very well for me at small doses.

For the past year my doctor and I have been working to wean me off of the Cymbalta and I have been using natural supplements which have a similar effect to make up the difference (5HTP & GABA). So far, so good. I am currently on a sub-clinical, VERY low dose of Cymbalta and I expect to be completely free from it by June.
shr1nk1ngme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #6  
Don't Stop Believing!!!!

S/C/G: 222/Ticker/150

Height: 5'5 1/2

Hi everyone. My name is Donni. I am a 32 year old female who suffers from anxiety, depression and a 22 year seizure disorder that is crazy out of whack right now. They are currently arguing if the seizure disorder is a "true" seizure disorder or if I am going through so much stress and possible PTSD that my body is mimicking seizures. I check into Mayo Clinic on the 24th of this month for 3-5 days for a seizure clinic to go through some massive testing.
I am also taking zoloft, well was taking it. I cannot afford my therapist right now and she wont let me stay on the meds under her script if I don't come and her. So now I am off of it.
I have 3 daughters that live with there dad in another state that I am sure adds to the stress, it it is sometimes hard to cope. I want to be better for me, but also for them. I have days where other than having to go to work, I don't want to get up.
I am set to start WW on Tuesday with a girl that I work with and also to start weight training, but I am worried that I will hit a stent of depression and not get my bottom up and do what I need to do. I am tired of sitting on my bottom and not getting anything (even the small things) done.
So I am joining this thread in hopes of advice and support to get through this day by day.

Last edited by donijo23; 02-01-2014 at 02:59 PM.
donijo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #7  
Be your own hero

S/C/G: 285.6/211.4/129

Height: 5ft 6

Hi everyone.
I've been diagnosed as borderline personality disorder although they are in the process of re diagnosing me as they think I have bipolar.

At the moment I am on 50mg of sertraline and 150mg pregabalin daily
ushotmedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:07 PM   #8  
I can do it!!!

Smile A Quick Hello

Hi! I just popped on for a minute to check in and I am so happy to see some new members in our Ups & Downs group! And I am soooooooo happy to see a post from you, Fi!!! Glad that you are okay, but so sorry for the stress you have been through with your friend. That is so unfortunate that she projected the things about her mother onto you. Not fair! Hang in there and big hugs to you! shr1nk1ngme, I am happy to hear from you, too! It's been awhile. And thank you for the introduction to the group. I am on my way to a hockey game. Will try to check in later tonight. Stay strong everyone!
Old 02-02-2014, 10:24 PM   #9  
I can do it!!!

Smile Checking in!

Hello Friends!

No one has written since I did yesterday?!? Where is everyone? How are you today, Trish? Did you make it onto the new thread?

My food choices lately have continued to be poor. Also, I have to take a few weeks off of training because I had a basal cell carcinoma (localized skin cancer) cut out of my back, and I have stitches that could pull out with weight training. I really need to step up the cardio in the meantime! The constant vigilance I feel I need for this weight loss journey ~ especially on meds ~ with food and exercise can feel so overwhelming and exhausting. But I need to continue to fight the battle because I am not satisfied with being "fat" anymore. I hate that word, but that is how I feel at the moment. I just cannot seem to get off of my current weight. The only way the scale moves for me is UP. It is really trying my patience, but I will NOT give up on myself!!!

How is everyone else doing with your weight loss journeys? Any tips, thoughts, advice, or encouragement is welcome!

penmage: Thank you for sharing about yourself. It makes me so sad to hear that you self-injured for several years, but it is wonderful that you don't do it anymore. HUGE accomplishment for you! You should be so proud of yourself! Sorry to hear that you are dealing with crippling loneliness at the moment and that you were let go from your job. Please hang in there and know that better things are in your future. Keep on posting here and we will keep you company in the meantime!

Fi: Again, I am so sorry for the troubles you have had to endure with your Belgian friend. Thank you for sharing the story with us, so that we know that you are going through a difficult time. Be extra kind to yourself and take things one day at a time. I am so happy that you posted to let us know that you are still part of the group!

LawGirl88: Thanks for checking in and supporting Fi and penmage! It is great to hear from you and to know that you are feeling pretty good. Take some time to just breathe during all of your busyness!!!

shr1nk1ngme: I am so curious why Effexor was so horrible for you, because I have been on it for a long time now and it seems to be working for me, other than my weight loss resistance (which I THINK is mostly due to Abilify), which is actually a HUGE issue for me right now. Good luck weaning off Cymbalta. Good that you are tapering off slowly and that the natural supplements seem to be helping!

donijo23: Thank you for posting about yourself. So sorry to hear that your seizure disorder is "crazy out of whack" right now. I hope you are able to get things under control soon! Best of luck with your testing later this month at the Mayo Clinic. You should be in good hands there. I have been there, too, with not even being able to get the little things done, let alone the big things. It is a LOUSY place to be! My depression is well-managed now, but I still struggle with getting things done on a daily basis. Some days are better than others. You are wise to take it one day at a time! I hope you will go through with Weight Watchers. I think it would help you. I am tempted to try it, too. Tried it very briefly on-line only (no meetings) awhile ago. I know the meetings would help me, but for a variety of reasons, I am not going that route right now. Let us know how it goes on Tuesday! Good luck! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

ushotmedown: Thank you for posting. Good luck getting a correct diagnosis! That must be a frustrating process. Please keep us posted on how things go.

Chelsea (CDubsGotGoats): I was so happy to read your long post at the end of our January thread. Glad to have you back in the group! Please post on this thread when you get a chance, just so I know you made it over!
Old 02-02-2014, 11:03 PM   #10  
Vegetarian, Low carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBelieveInMe2 View Post
shr1nk1ngme: I am so curious why Effexor was so horrible for you, because I have been on it for a long time now and it seems to be working for me, other than my weight loss resistance (which I THINK is mostly due to Abilify), which is actually a HUGE issue for me right now. Good luck weaning off Cymbalta. Good that you are tapering off slowly and that the natural supplements seem to be helping!
Effexor was effective, but problematic for me because it was so very time critical. If I was even 2 hours late on my dose, or God forbid skipped a dose, the side effects of withdrawal would begin. Unexpected shocks of sheer panic for no reason whatsoever (which I NEVER had before Effexor, nor again since the side effects wore off) and brain-frying electric jolts. Quitting Effexor was absolute misery. Took me a whole year to wean myself off of it and I continued to have withdrawal symptoms (jolts and panic) for several months afterwards.

Skipping a dose of Cymbalta produces similar side effects but they are much less intense. If you leave home without taking your meds and have to take it later in the day, you can still function in the meantime.

Last edited by shr1nk1ngme; 02-03-2014 at 12:55 AM.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:56 AM   #11  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hello! so many new people here but I do recognize a few of you just from around the site , hi

My food choices are terrible also, I start out well and then just disregard any of my resolve

Fi I'm so sorry about what your friend did!

I will try to address all at some other posting time, really! take care .
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:25 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 470/ticker/175

Height: 5'10"

Hi! I am still plugging along. The diet is going ok. Still haven't been weighed yet so that is a source of stress. I'm worried it hasn't made much of a difference. I'm going to a book club this month. I don't get out much.
lilturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #13  
I can do it!!!

Thumbs down Wow!

shr1nk1ngme: Wow, that is terrible how the time-sensitivity of taking Effexor affected you!!! Thanks for sharing. Did it affect your weight at all? I hope I don't have such a difficult time weaning off Effexor if and when the time comes!

Holly: Great to hear from you!

So far today, I have been like a bump on a log. Took a power nap with my pups, when I should have been working on my house. But I admit it felt good! I take my daughter to training later today, so I will get a good walk on the treadmill in there.

Waving hello to everyone!!!
Old 02-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #14  
I can do it!!!

Talking lilturtle!!!

lilturtle: I just saw your post AFTER I posted. Great to see that you made it onto the new thread! Thanks for posting. Hope you enjoy your book club! Good for you for making that plan to get yourself out of the house. Did you order a new scale from Amazon yet?
Old 02-03-2014, 02:01 PM   #15  
Vegetarian, Low carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBelieveInMe2 View Post
shr1nk1ngme: Wow, that is terrible how the time-sensitivity of taking Effexor affected you!!! Thanks for sharing. Did it affect your weight at all? I hope I don't have such a difficult time weaning off Effexor if and when the time comes!
Whatever you do, don't ever run out or stop taking it suddenly. Take it seriously when the label says "do not stop taking this medicine suddenly". You have to wean from it.