Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2001, 05:11 PM   #1  

Hello...

I'm a 22 years old, around 5'7"-8" and I weigh 190 pounds. Thats just a rough guess from the last time I went to the doctor (4 months ago).

I really hate how I look. Everytime I look in the mirror, all I see is the fat that jiggles and seems like it can not ever come off. I go through phases when I exercise for a couple of weeks and then quit because I get to busy or what not. But now I just want it all to stop.

I would like to weigh around 140-150 pounds. I am not sure whats natural for me, but that sounds like a good goal.

My plan is to exercise 6 days a week. I will use the treadmill and bike.. and then lift weights (hand and machine), and do 200 crunches a night.

But when it comes to food.. I am clueless. I buy all low-fat or fat free food. I only eat 2 meals a day.. and I drink 2 cokes a day (I really do not want to cut this out). I enjoy having a good meal.

So I guess the point of my post.. is a few things:
1) Can I lose weight exercising alone.. and still just making sure I dont pig out and eat food high in fat?
2) How long will it take to lose this much weight?
3) My thighs seem so big.. is it possible to get them to shrink down? Or am I doomed? This also applies to my butt and little gut that seems to stick out.

I want to be realistic and focused.. and i want to feel good about myself. I am just having trouble seeing the light.

Perhaps someone has advice.. or their story to share?

Thanks,
Tanya
Old 04-27-2001, 10:29 PM   #2  

Default me too!!

Hi! I also just found this site! I'm so glad i did. Tonic, you and i are a lot alike. I'm 4'11 and 150, i should be at around 120, but will be happy with 130. I know what you mean about your self- image. For the last two weeks i've been really watching what i eat and working out. I also LOVE coke, but can't seem to totally give it up. I try to limit it to one small juice glass with dinner, that way i still get my fix. I'm so glad i found this site, all my freinds are thin and just don't get it! It will be nice to talk to others who do.

Peace, Mork
Old 04-28-2001, 11:06 AM   #3  

Default Hi Guys

I'm also new to this site, but I have some answers.

Yes you can lose weight through exercise alone and even if you don't it will look like you did because of all the toning. Besides regular exercise has great motivational and psychological benefits. You'll probably eat healthier because you feel better about yourself. Check out fitday.com for a really useful free online food and activity journal. One tip might be to stop relying on low-fat/non-fat foods. Sometimes the real stuff is more satisfying -- esp. if you the "diet" version doesn't save you that much in calories.

As for time the general consensus seems to be slower is better. You may want to ignore the scale and simply measure yourself for inches lost.

Best of luck.
Old 04-29-2001, 11:08 AM   #4  

After reading a variety of different threads, it seems I may have found one to suit my needs.

I am a 24 year-old, 5'3'' and 150 pounds. I can't seem to keep the weight off, no matter what I do.

I am an emotional eater. I eat when I receive bad news, I eat when I am bored, I eat to celebrate, I eat to procrastinate. I am not sure what I think I will find at the end of that whole bag of popcorn, but I assure you it isn't there. I have all the elements present for a wonderful life, but I can't seem to pick them up and make it work. I realize my weight problem is a result of my general unhappiness, but I am not sure where to start reversing the cycle.
Old 04-30-2001, 03:37 PM   #5  

Well I figured I'd write to you girls and put my 2 cents in. I am 5'9 and about 8 months ago i weighed 190 lbs!! I was in a size 16 and completely miserable. I got so tired of it so finally one day out of the blue put a stop to it. I started by cutting down on my food intake. Alot!! It was a gradual process and my current food intake is this: I eat fruit for breakfast, a sandwich and another peice of fruit for lunch and for dinner i usually eat a sandwich or soup. I do eat "bad" food once or twice a week like pizza or french fries...usually on the weekends. After about 4 months of cutting down I started walking. I guadually up-ed my miles and i currently walk at least 30 miles a week. this is coming from someone who hated exercise and loved food. I still love food. Along with walking I started parking further away from the building at work...taking the stairs and drinking lots and lots and lots of water....i might drink 1 can of soda once a week. this might seem like a very strict lifestyle...and it is. But it works for me. Sometimes its very hard but the results are awesome. I am currently weighing in @ 145 and wear a size 7/8!! I cant remember the last time I wore that size!! I have 5 more lbs to go and more toning to do. I was a very emotion proccess for me. It was/is not easy. Sometimes I still look in the mirror in disgust. but when i put on my sz 16 pants and see how huge they are on me it puts things back in perspective. Tonic...you sound like me 8 months ago!! Are you a pear shape?? Yes your thighs can get smaller...I know its hard to believe!! I have thick thighs still...I will always have thick thighs. But they are a "good" thick now!! Yes you can lose weight by exercising alone but your results will be faster if you cut down...even just alittle at a time....eat out less...just be more consious of what you put in your mouth and when you are going for a candy bar or bag of chips ask yourself...do I really need to eat this?? It does take alot of disipline...I still cant beleive I did it!!..I have never been able to stick with a diet plan before. I guess you have to be ready. I hope this helped and didnt freak you guys out!!
Old 04-30-2001, 08:43 PM   #6  

Hi guys!

I just wanted to say thanks for the encouragement Idevlin. That was just what I needed to keep me going this week.
Old 05-02-2001, 10:28 AM   #7  

Well I'm glad I could help and didnt freak you out. Some of my friends say I'm alittle on the finatical (is that a word??) side!! But I dont think I am. Anyway, I dont really belong to any group on this site and was wondering where you guys "hang out"...
Old 05-03-2001, 02:10 PM   #8  

Default Hi All!

Hi all!

I think most of the people on this thread are new. I've only been at it about two weeks. I've lost two pounds I'm also walking every day, so i feel really good. I would love to get some buddys together for encourgement! I always seem to lose my drive after a few weeks, but this time i really want to do it! I think this site will be a big help!
Old 05-09-2001, 01:52 AM   #9  

Default please someone help

im am a 23 yr old mother of a 16 month yr old im 5'6 and 280lbs......i want to be able to do stuff with my son.....its so depressing when i cant even walk with out getting out of breath......i want to be happy about my self and right now im not and it is so hard to exercise when you have a 16 month old...i just dont know what to do.... i eat when i am bored.lonely......and what ever situation......my husband gets upset cuz i cry about how i look all the time and he just doesnt understand ......if anyone can help me please do.........thank you
Old 05-09-2001, 02:13 PM   #10  

I truly understand your fustrations!!
buggaboo: My boyfriend doesnt get it either!! Men!! I dont know what your schedule permits you to do but try putting your son in the stroller and going for a walk. You dont have to speed walk or walk 4 miles...just get your body/metabolism moving. I started off with small things like taking the stairs and parking further away. And I cut down on my food intake...no fried foods. And alot of water. It is very hard.. beleive me I know, but if you have the will power you really can do it. I understand about the eating when you're bored...That is my biggest problem. I've always done it. If you start off with little things you will notice that you have more energy to do alittle more. Good luck to you..hope I helped alittle.
morkw: Thats great that you lost 2 lbs already...Its a good self incentive!! I was like that too. I'd "diet" for like 2 weeks and then give into a peice of cake or fried food and give up! When your ready, you'll know. If I could recommend anything to anybody it would be to walk walk walk!! and drink as much water as you can!! At first the water drinking really sucks but after a while you actually start to like it...I always hated drinking water and hated hated hated walking!!!

Well I guess thats it for now...I'll check back tomorrow.
Old 05-09-2001, 03:51 PM   #11  

Default thank you

ldevlin thank you i will have to try hard .......see i dont have good will power but i am tired of being this big.....and it is hard doing it by myself.......but i am gonna try thanks for respondin
Old 05-10-2001, 10:57 AM   #12  

Default Hey there all

welcome! I have been totally out of it, but I'm glad for the new "faces".

Bug--I know what stress you must be feeling because of your baby. The thing is to start small so you don't psyche yourself out. Idevlin's ideas are perfect. Try just walking around the block everyday with your baby. Keep nice fruits in the house and good crunchy foods for stress--pretzels, low-fat popcorn. If your hubby complains, just stash your good-for-you snacks away from him.

There is the 10% rule that works really well. Most experts say there is a dramatic difference if people lose just 10% of their body weight (in your case 28 pounds). That is a reasonable goal and is easier to focus on than say 100 pounds or so. This effort takes time, and time is all you really need...that and the support from us over here!

You are so worth this effort, and so is your child. Think more about being there for your son later on in life. If your mind keeps telling you to forget about it, it could never happen, what's the use, etc. etc., fight back by saying you want to be healthy to see your baby grow up.

Hang in there. Come here often and let us know how you are doing!

Abby
290/260/240/190
highest/second highest/current/goal.
Old 05-10-2001, 03:19 PM   #13  

Default you guys

you are just so wonderful here to help ppl i think i will stay at this site.....and i will keep in touch thank you
Closed Thread