View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 08:07 AM   #5
lin43

I think many of us struggle with this. Usually, a few on-plan days in a row works wonders and makes it easier to keep at it. One technique that often works for me is to tell myself that I can have whatever it is I'm craving if I still want it in 15 minutes. Then, set a timer or just look at the clock and start timing yourself. In the meantime, get up and do something---run a bath for yourself, take a nap, go for a walk---whatever. Tell yourself, "I'll do this for 15 minutes, and then I can eat [fill in the blank]." Usually, that delay works. I find that urges are really strong at beginning, but that usually fade. Certainly, if you get busy with something else, you'll usually forget about it. Of course, this is much easier if you don't buy your trigger foods at all (out of sight, out of mind).

This works best if the urge to eat comes when you're out of your house. For instance, if I'm in the grocery story and I REALLY want to buy some ice-cream or something equally fattening that I know I will not eat in moderation, if I can just fight the urge to get it until I'm in another aisle, I'm fine. Many a time when I'm driving home, I think about how glad I am that I didn't buy whatever it is I wanted.

My point is that if you think of an urge as a strong feeling that you objectively know will go away if after a few minutes, it can sometimes be easier to resist whatever food you want to get.

Last edited by lin43; 02-27-2014 at 08:09 AM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote