General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-25-2014, 11:02 PM   #1  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Default My 17 year old dog

Tough day.

It was finally time to do the deed. Had this dog since he was 8 weeks old!
I work for a veterinarian, and I knew this choice was coming down the pike, but that did not make it any easier to make the choice.

He could still see, teeth good, appetite good, water consumption good, still did bunny patrol, and annoyed the cats. But, over the weekend, lost bladder control. So, I know, I could continue to clean up, but at 17, it won't get better.

So, I fed him this morning, eggs and hash browns, screw dog food. He did one last bunny/cat patrol, and very sadly, took him to work, and held him for his last moments.

I really wanted for him to hang on just a little longer for warm weather, so we could bury him at home. Not to be. So, having him cremated.

At work we are on very comfortable terms with the guy from the local funeral home, who also does our pets.

I cried, while we did it, and then thought I was good. Called the funeral home, had a moment.

Then ok, then the guy who owns the funeral home, shows up, ok. Until we went to the back so he could get Mick. He offers up a hug! I just lost it!

Then I get better, and it finally slows down at work, and my boss, comes and gives me a hug. Tears again.

All of my life, I've lived in a rural/farm setting. I've never had to do this with a dog, they always got run over or died to natural causes or other farm accidents.

I felt so horrible, while I know it was the right thing, I felt like I was judge, jury and executioner!

Basically it was one cr***y day.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:19 AM   #2  
Cat Cuddler

S/C/G: 287/266/150

I am so terribly sorry for your loss. I am a pet lover so I can understand your pain. It is a very tough thing to go through. I am sending you warm hugs.

Last edited by doingmybest; 02-26-2014 at 03:19 AM.
doingmybest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/192/120

Height: 5'2

I'm so sorry for your loss. A few years ago I lost both my dogs of 16 years within months of each other. One died peacefully at home and the other was put down a while later due to sickness. Even though it was the right time for both of them, it tore me apart. Even thinking about it is getting me teary. Rest assured that your dog had a good life with you and you did the right thing. I'm sure you'll miss him like crazy, but it will get easier.

Take care.
ILoveVegetables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:03 AM   #4  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

I'm so sorry to hear about your fur baby.
We lost our dog 2 summers ago--it was a big loss to our family too.
Dogs need a good quality of life and you did what was right, even though it hurts.
Take Care of yourself.
(((hugs)))
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:10 AM   #5  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

When I saw the title, I was like aw, cr*p. I'm so sorry for your loss. ((((Hugs))))
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:37 PM   #6  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

((((hugs)))) i'm so very sorry for your loss....I can't imagine going through something like that
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:26 PM   #7  
JazziBelle

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'4"

So very sorry for your loss!
I know its never easy, but the ones that are with us so long leave a hole that is never replaced. I had an 18 year old Siamese cat that lived with me longer than any human being has. We moved from Texas to New Jersey to Pennsylvania and finally to Florida together--where I deliberately found us a one level house so she didn't have to climb stairs!
I miss her, and even dream about her all the time.
JzBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:04 PM   #8  

So sorry for your loss. Try to remember the wonderful life you gave your little guy and how blessed you both were to have each other so long. And know that you loved him enough to let him go because it was the right and humane thing to do for him. I know nothing will take your pain away right now but soon, you will think of him with more smiles and laughs remembering him than tears.

My heart is broken for you today.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #9  

Height: 5'6"

I am so sorry for your loss.
IAmTheGlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I'm sorry.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:48 PM   #11  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Iam so sorry and feel your pain ....so much could only read first 2 paragraphs. We went through it almost a year ago and we are still raw.......
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:42 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Hugs. I can tell this was not an easy decision and that you made it with love for your pooch.
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:40 PM   #13  
Piggies obsessed

S/C/G: 300/275/140

Sorry for your loss!
VioletDolphin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:40 AM   #14  
No description available.

I'm so sorry. I had to make that choice for our old lady dog 1/25. Her back legs stopped working and she wasn't eating and would only take a little bit of water by syringe but kept throwing up. It is the right thing to do but that doesn't make it easy. We miss her every day.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:37 PM   #15  
Releasing the inner hiker

I'm sorry for your loss. I had to put down my dog of 15 years and my cat of 12 years this month. I am comforted by the fact that I did the best I could for them and they lived happy, contented lives. It also helps to talk about them to others that also loved your pet. Reliving your favorite moments with them may eventually bring you some comfort as well.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote