View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 07:41 PM   #162
karenfromtexas

S/C/G: 186/166/155

Height: 5' 5.5"

Hi everyone,

I was craving chicken enchiladas with green sauce so I came up with this recipe to satisfy that craving:

Green Chili Chicken Stew

6 tomatillos, husked and quartered
2 poblano* peppers, seeded and cut into 2 pieces
4 Hatch* chile peppers, seeded and cut into 2 pieces
4 tsp olive oil, divided
Salt and pepper to taste
onion, chopped
3-4 zucchini or Mexican grey squashes, chopped
1 jicama, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
8 c chicken broth
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
2-3 cups leftover cooked chicken
Juice of 1 lime

Spread tomatillos and all peppers on 2 cookie sheets so that they are in one layer. Drizzle the vegetables with 3 tsp olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss. Roast at 400 for about 25 minutes, stirring halfway through to ensure even roasting. Cool slightly. Puree in a blender with a little of the chicken broth to desired smoothness. Set aside. Heat remaining 1 tsp olive oil in a large stock pot. Saute onion and garlic until onion is translucent. Add squash, jicama, chicken broth, cilantro, and pureed tomatillos and peppers. Bring to boil. Cover pot and simmer until squash is tender. (Jicama will remain firm, even if cooked a long time.) Add chicken and simmer for a few minutes more. Add lime juice.

*Substitute any mild, green chile peppers you like. If you want the stew hotter, leave some or all of the seeds in. Coat your hands with vegetable oil before handling chiles to prevent skin irritation.

I added 1 tbsp of reduced fat sour cream to my bowl of soup and that really seemed to add a lot to the flavor.

Enjoy!

Karen

Reached goal 9/11/11. Restarted 1/1/14.
karenfromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote