Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 12:49 AM   #1  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Default Wednesday Chat - 1/14/04

Good Morning everyone! Since technically it is Wednesday (1AM), I thought I would start a new thread instead of adding to page 2 from yesterday.

I feel fat - I've been trying to get back on full induction but struggling to get to it. I do great during the day but then feel munchy at night (bad old habit - especially when stressed). I'm still stuck at my 218 number - I seem to settle there a lot and it's a killer! I'm not eating off program per se - just too much non-carb foods. UGH!

I am on my way downstairs to lift weights. I think part of my problem is a big project at work and I haven't been getting home until 9PM instead of 8PM.

Hope everyone with the stomach bug feels better real soon!

Hey - look at what I posted back in 2001! It's when I was on WW her at 3FC's and at that point I only ever made it down to 220. But after my parents had gained all their Atkins weight back I felt so bad for them...check out my comments - JEEZ have I changed my tune! I love this plan and feel great! I was too uninformed! Honestly now that I've read his book and follow the plan - my parents never got past induction. They stayed there for 6-8 months and never moved to OWL. Now I realize that the problem was really with losing self-control because they didn't train their bodies for OWL.

7/2001 XXXXXX - I'm sorry you are leaving us.
Before you go nuts over Atkins - PLEASE read up more on the diet and the MANY medical problems people have had with it. You know there is no harm in following a more sensible plan like WW and cutting way back on your carbs. Studies have shown that restrictive diets will not be a solution in the long run and somewhere down the road another more sensible plan will be needed.

My mom lost 80 lbs on Atkins 2 years ago and was thrilled. BUT she finally realized as we all did that you cannot live with a menu plan like that for the rest of your life - imagine eating an Atkins dinner at the age of 75 - it just can't be done. She stuck with the program religiously for 2 years straight...had lots of health troubles and gained back 100+ in a matter of 9 months. My dad and my sister all had the same track record except they stayed on it less time. My mom is now on WW and feels 100% better. It's more sensible and it's plan does not wreak havoc on your kidneys, gall bladder etc. Even Suzanne Somers plan is more sensible. Please be careful and read as much as you can - my mom is a nurse and she kicks herself everyday for being on it and ruining her health - but the quick loss was all she saw until it caught up with her.

see:
http://www.thedietchannel.com/atkins.htm
http://www.cyberdiet.com/diet_detective/dr_atkins.html

Good Luck - it is a battle no matter what plan is chosen.
Kim
Old 01-14-2004, 03:55 AM   #2  
Pure Energy

Kim- I was kinda confused by your post. Were you just sharing your old WW posts or were you saying you aren't sure you want to do this WOE anymore? I think you're doing so good. Having such a busy life makes it hard. One of my biggest gripes about this is the lack of convenience foods.
One of the best and most difficult things about this woe is that it consists primarily of fresh foods which is wonderful but means that it requires time and most of us don't have tons of that. You're doing so great.

It's almost 3am. I went to workout after work and then to the store for dogfood and am home. Babysitter is worried about El baby-o because he refuses to eat level 3 baby food for his lunches. He seals his lips and turns his head left and right and just won't have it. (For those of you without younguns, Level 3 is food with chunkies) El baby-0 is almost 10mos and should be getting towards the solid food stage but he also has no teeth at all yet either. I am of the opinion that he's fine. Both the teeth and solid foods will come in time. He's not starving by any means and when he's hungry enough he eats it just fine. But when he doesn't want it, man, he does this huge drama show of gagging and yakking and looks of intense betrayal, like "How could you do this to me!" "What did I do to you!" "I'm a good kid!" I tell you, the kid is a drama king and a total player at 9 months. <sigh> I love it.
One more night of 2nd shift left. Then midnights. Only 2 more days left of my twenties. Then I'll be in my 30's. Decrepit and old. I love it.

Well, I'm sure I'll be back later. I'm like a bad rash. That thread yesterday was a hoot. More poop talk than I've seen since el baby-o was first born. Have a good one chickadees.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:08 AM   #3  

Mornin y'all,

It's almost 6 here.....kinda early for me, but I went to bed really early since there wasn't much on the tv. It's a coinky dink, Kim, but I'm having the same kind of day......fat! *LOL* I'm in my second week of induction and I'm having a hard time getting used to eating until I'm full......not stuffed. Plus, I still find myself eating out of boredom at times. I'm not giving up though, I'm just going to try and remember to eat slower and smaller portions...I find when I do (like at work) I'm just as satisfied with less.

Jam, I miss those baby days! My boys are 5 and 12 now *sigh*. I miss convenience foods too, so I've learned that I have to "prepare" on sunday's for the upcoming week (as if I don't already have enough to do.....).

Well, off to work for me........y'all make it a great day!
Old 01-14-2004, 07:27 AM   #4  
Mom, Queen of Everything

Morning All!

Kim: I am also a night grazer, and the only thing I can suggest is to set aside some "legal" snacks to indulge in during those late hours. For me, those cheese swirl sticks work wonderfully, as I have a personal best contest going to see just how small a strand I can pull off without breaking it! I also have some "set weights" where my body likes to settle indefinitely, (212, 202, 192, 182....get the pattern), and you just have to ride it out. Those set weights can be the death of you, so please just hang in there...

Jam: My daughter wanted to eat baby food when she was almost 2!!! We'd go shopping and she'd grab it off the shelf and cry. Maybe it had already become her comfort food?????

Bizzy: Induction is great, but I personally think it's overshooting to think that we're going to change a life time of eating habits in 2 weeks. I don't want to be full....I want to be STUFFED!!! Give it time....

Okay.....here's one for the books: You know how most people can tell when they've lost weight because their clothes are looser! I can tell because of my patio door! Let me explain...

We have two large greyhounds, and because of their size we installed a super-sized patio insert doggie door. THis is a panel of glass (surrounded by metal), with a flap at the bottom that gets fitted into the sliding glass door track. Unfortunately, it then reduces the amount of room you have to squeeze out when you slide your regular door open. Well.......this morning I was able to squeeze out without either my stomach or my *** hitting the door!!!!! Yahoooooooooooooo. Forget working my way into size 14's. This is my first victory! I stood their just a few minutes ago, stepping out, then stepping in, then stepping out, then stepping in..... My early-riser, 9-year-old looked at me like I was crazy. When I explained what I was doing, she suggested that my next goal might be to actually make myself fit through the doggie door itself! Well, I think maybe I'll just aim for those size 14's instead!

Have an absolutely fabulous day, everyone!
Old 01-14-2004, 08:12 AM   #5  

Good Morning All! I am new, just signed up yesterday for this thread. I have a 3 year old and all she will eat is chicken nuggets and macaroni and cheese. They have the strangest phases!!! I was so happy I lost a pound today!!! I still feel fat though!!! I will be happy when I can sit at my desk and not feel like the button on my pants digs to my backbone!!! Oh well, I guess everyone has a different goal! Well, it is supposed to be 60 here today, so I am looking forward to a nice sunny day! I hope everyone has a great day!!!
Old 01-14-2004, 08:36 AM   #6  

Sounds like a lot of us are having the same kind of week I am.......

Does anyone have a tried and true cure for PMS.....I am absolutely Frankensteinish this week and the villagers are comin at me with torches
I am bloated, cranky and just plain miserable!
My poor husband...last night I snapped at him just before he came to bed over something I was doing with the computer (that of course wouldn't work)...he actually called me a b.i.t.c.h.! That didn't go over very big let me tell you

Seriously if anyone has any natural methods for relieving PMS I would love to hear it. I am tempted to go out and buy a diuretic today just to shrink "the girls" a little...the bra is very full these days

Boy, you guys are up and at it early today.

Kim in NJ: 1AM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yikes. Are you working nights? Did I miss something?

Jamlinrich: Kim was talking about a post she wrote a long time ago when she was on the WW Board of this site....AND 30 ISN'T DECREPIT....my 30's were the best years I ever had...and I wasn't married with a child....I was single and had just started dating my future husband.

Spedmom: I like the goal of trying to get through the doggie door...I think you just may be able to do it!

meb1118: 60!!!!!!!!!! IT IS ZERO HERE THIS MORNING....brrrrrrrrr

Last edited by jane8760; 01-14-2004 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:16 AM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Just popping in to say hello. Did you see on yesterday's thread we have 39 posts !! WOWOWOW!!! Chatty Cathy's here !!

Meb1118 my 2 1/2 year old will only eat ckn nuggets, pnut butter,mac & cheese also, oh she does love frozen pizza, Eillo's (spelling ???). Once in a grand while she will eat brocolli but she will only do that for my mom HAA!!! Don't beat yourself up about it, they all do this.

Be back later to read up.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:20 AM   #8  
thin within

good afternoon, ladies. all is well here, but have not exercised today or yesterday. my neck and right hip seem to be bothering me. trying to figure out what to have for dinner in another hour.

kim and bizzylizzy--hang in there. this too shall pass. kim--i have really been struggling with staying on induction completely. i did have refried bean tostadas last night. let me just say that they were very good and now out of my system. i'm gonna try going back to the 72 version of atkins after we return from our trip next week. lindabc on the lowcarb thread has been doing extremely well with it. the scales had not moved much for her with the new diet revolution. she had had much success in the 70's with the original and decided to try it again.

jamie--my dd quit eating baby food before we even hit the chunky stuff. at 8 months she would have nothing to do with it. this happened just after i introduced her to table foods. so, i started giving her table food, but mashing it well enough that she wouldn't choke. of course i did not add extra salt to hers. this is actually when i quit cooking with salt. she enjoyed shredded cheese too. sometimes i would cut cheddar into little sticks for her instead of slices to prevent choking. she loved vanilla yogurt too. has he had a taste of table food? you might want to consider trying him on it at home, then just put some in storage containers for him to take to the sitter's. just a thought. it is a huge savings too. i just know that my dd didn't care for the jar food too much. her dr said it was fine. milk was a different story. she didn't really start drinking cow's milk until she was a little over a year and a half. breastmilk has a bit sweeter of a taste and a different consistency, thinner. skim is all we could get her to drink. of course she still enjoyed her mookmook (breastmilk) until she was 38 months. anyway, a long post to suggest trying him on tablefood.

spedmom and meb--congrats. every little bit is a victory!

jane--when you find the remedy, please share. i hope you will be getting relief soon.

leens--you slipped in on me. hope you are enjoying a great day. i saw your name just as i hit edit.

Last edited by fullfig; 01-14-2004 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:02 AM   #9  
The Princess O' Pets

HI ladies,
i am up early... I start my new job today!!! I will be working full -time for the next 3 weeks for training so I won't be around as much but I am still with you!!! I will probably be here at night. I am a little nervous about starting a new job (haven't done that in 10 yrs) but i am bringing my snacks and my sis works there and lots of Atkins people work there!! I am goin to have to see how it goes and figure where my workouts are going to happen.

I am sorry so many of you feel fat...you really aren't just drink LOTS of water and you will feel better...watch that salt intake too.

As for kids... i have 1 picky one and 1 non-picky. But I let the babysitter know I make food for my kids and they "choose" if they wnat to eat it, my mom was a clean your plate kinda mom and look how fat ALL of her kids are!! They will eat when they are hungery. They love all that food like mac and cheese, PB&J, nuggets, I just try to serve them a veggie with every meal whether they eat it or not....someday they will. If they gain weight each visit our Ped says they are doing fine. I never did the stage 3 foods, I figured there was alot of soft non-processed food (that proably taste better!) that they could eat even without teeth, Cheerios, peas, cooked carrot, cooked pasta, yogurt, fruit. So I just did that.

Hope all of you have a great day!!! I will check in tonight! Wish ME LUCK!!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2004, 10:46 AM   #10  
Movin' and Losin'

Kim: You've done great. Stick to it!

Jamie: You are a super-working woman. I don't know how you do it.

BizzyLizzy: Welcome!

Spedmom: Congrats on nothing touching when you went through the door!

Meb: Congrats on the pound lost!

Jane: Sorry you're so miserable. I'm with Fullfig -- please share if you discover a remedy!

Leens: Hi! Hope you have a good day!

Fullfig: Glad you got the tostadas out of your system!

TG: Good luck with the new job!

Hope all the tummies are feeling better!

I'm going to join in with the rest of you that feel fat. I still feel huge. I've been drinking water like crazy. I think I've gotten rid of some of the bloatedness, but I still feel bigger than usual. Yuck!

I'm so close to the 170s, and I want them bad!! I didn't weigh-in this week because of my extreme bloated condition. Maybe that's the chicken way out, but I didn't want to have a huge gain that I think I can get rid of by next weigh-in. So, I'd love to see 170-something on the scale next Monday.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Take care,
Jina
Old 01-14-2004, 10:53 AM   #11  
Head Princess

Good morning, darlings!

Kim - isn't it funny how things change! There certainly is a wrong way and a right way of doing this. I'm glad you're doing it right!

Jamie - glad your yucky shifts are almost over! Don't ya worry about 30 - I'm right behind you!

Lizzy - I agree completely with what was said before. It takes time to change those life-long habit. I've been doing this for about 6 months now and I still have to make that conscious effort to stop eating when I know I've had enough. Most of us don't even register "full" until 20 minutes after we eat!

Spedmom - I love the patio story! Isn't it funny what we notice?

Meb - Patience!!! I recommend that you don't even weight yourself until the first week is over.

Jane - sorry about the PMS. Wish I had some answers for you!

Leens & Fullfig!!

TG - Have a great first day at work! Where are you working at?

Whew! I hope I didn't miss anyone!

I spent an hour last night trying on clothes out of my own closet. I've been hanging on to some clothes that I wanted to be able to fit back into, but for a lot of them, it looks like I missed my window of opportunity. They're too big now!

I haven't really been exercising either. I'm feeling functional and I really want the workout, but by the time I get home I'm exhausted! I'm still fighting this crud I have and it's just draining me!

I'm sure I had more to say, but I'm still trying to wake up. Have a great day!!!
Old 01-14-2004, 10:56 AM   #12  
Head Princess

Jina - you sneaky girl! You were posting at the same time as me.

For all you feeling fat today, chin up! Even supermodels have fat days. Just because you feel it doesn't make it so. Go to the store and try on the size you wore when you started your new woe. It's great for putting things back into reality!
Old 01-14-2004, 11:50 AM   #13  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Angry Princess Poopie Frouf Checking In....

Actually Star sounds like the title of a good children's book: The Perils of Princess Poopie Frouf

I am here to join the fat tummy club - but my bloat is GAS - yucky feeling! I was up again between 3:30 and 4:30 (what's with that? is this becoming some weird nightly ritual?)....with gas pains(no bathroom visits tho! ). No wonder given what I ate last night. Had some scrambled eggs this morning and tea w/splenda...almost lunchtime - hope tummy does not get too loud and disturb others!

Star - I just put out a bag of "too large" clothes for pick up today - I actually liked some of them - but I was being strict while cleaning out cupboard - and it's great to finally have some empty hangers!

Theo's girl - good luck with the new job - I know how both exciting and stressful it can be - at least you know someone there and you have a plan! I am very nervous about starting my new job on Monday - may try and visit new office today or tomorrow to scope it out and see the "facilities".

Jamie - as long as baby is healthy and happy I wouldn't worry about it - trying table food might work, but if not don't sweat it - most kids will eventually eat "real" food...as my pediatrician always said when I was fretting about this or that developmental milestone..."in my experience, most kids are walking, talking, toilet trained, (insert milestone here), by the time they go to kindergarten - and you can't tell who did it first or last!"....I finally realized the wisdom of these words and stopped obsessing about my kids!

Jane - good luck with the PMS Monster - I have no cures, just tell dh you are cranky these days and to ignore all strange mutterings coming from your mouth.

Kim - you are now a Convert - how cute! I was also leery of Atkins in the past, not sure how "healthy" it was...but finally last spring when all the new studies came out in the medical journals I felt it was a sign - I was looking for something to "do"...and this seemed to be IT! So I too am a convert!

Spedmom - hope the neighbours are not concerned about your "erratic" outdoor behaviour - how funny that must look - and how pleased you must be - it is funny how we sometimes "measure" our weightloss!

Hi Meb! - congrats on the 1 pound down - and can you PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE send some sunshine my way? Did I mention is was minus 38 degrees today - and my new van really complained when I started it this morning. I dread going out at night as it will only be getting colder....

BizzyLizzy - good luck with week 2 of induction - it does get easier and you will learn your limits - hang in there!

I have some roast chicken and salad for lunch - scared to eat it - hope nothing bad happens....but I am hungry. Just realized I did not take my supplements today or yesterday - do you think they might affect my tummy?

Awaiting blood and poop test results - hope I don't have some rare and strange foreign disease?....

Later!

HRH Princess Froufy

Last edited by Froufy; 01-14-2004 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:02 PM   #14  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane8760

Seriously if anyone has any natural methods for relieving PMS I would love to hear it. I am tempted to go out and buy a diuretic today just to shrink "the girls" a little...the bra is very full these days

Jane - I ma just reading everyone's posts.. but Before I did my long one.. If you are still reading.. Get a B-Complex!! IT helps SOOOOOO Much. I get the B-50 from Costco. My mood swings are gone and it helps with energy too. cant say it helps with the bloat.. but my family tells me that I am a new woman since taking it!!
Old 01-14-2004, 12:04 PM   #15  
Each Bite of Sugar...

Wow, we are busy these days.

Just for the record, my dd (22 months) LOVES baby food... but because I'm a purist, I've only ever bought her the plums, prunes, peaches and pears - none of the stuff mixed with meat or bananas, or the "desserts." She is a baby - she does NOT need dessert.

Anyhow, I'll keep getting them for her as long as she wants to eat them. The stage 3's in these flavors have no chunks. Of course, she eats regular food, too, but all she eats are fruits, veggies, beans, rice, & chicken - along with wheat-free cheerios and baby cereal (Which she also still loves). She does not drink cows milk, only rice milk. No, we aren't vegetarian, but she is allergic to everything else (Avocados, Bananas, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Soy, & Wheat)

She also eats when she is hungry and stops when she is full. I usually only request a couple more bites if she hasn't eaten much, but she goes through phases. The other day, she ate enough to feed ME - my dh was stunned at how much food she can put in her body when she wants to.

Okay enough about her. Doing okay myself - walked 2 days in a row now. Bought some LTF Tortillas at Safeway last night - can't say I was overly impressed, but I'll try them with enchilada sauce or something else and maybe that will help. I think I'm going to be of the mind of "If I can't eat the 'real' stuff, I'm not going to bother with substitutions..."

Did eat a bite of dh's chocolate last night, though.

Looking forward to walking today again, if it isn't raining. If it IS raining, we might just have to walk around the inside of the building. People may think we're odd, but I just have to do it now.

Welcome to all our new members

This is a very cool group!

Oh, and there is NOTHING wrong with being in your 30's. I rather prefer it to my 20's.

Hello to Kim, Froufy (snuck in on my there), Star, Fullfig, Spedmom, Jamlinrich, Jdogg, Leens, Jane, & Theo's girl (come back when you can - I totally relate!)

Okay, I'm off to get started on working now that I've been here for an hour. I have to spend a little time writing down my dream from last night - I haven't had dreams this vivid since I was pg. *Gasp!*
Closed Thread