Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 02-21-2014, 09:33 PM   #1  

Smile Intro and starting my 6 month waiting period over.

My name is Mandi and I am new to the forum. I am a 34 year old wife and mother of a DS(7). Last year, I made the leap, attended the seminar and made it 4 months into my 6 months of physician supervised weight loss. I was down 25 pounds and learning a lot about myself on the way. Then, whammo!!!! I found out was pregnant. Due to one previous late miscarriage (19 weeks), I was considered high risk. Because of complications with my pregnancy (modified bedrest, cerclage, hbp etc) I just could not find the time or energy to complete my final two appointments. I figured I would start over after the baby. We made it to 15 weeks this time. My membranes ruptured and it was all over.

My husband is very supportive of whatever decision I make, but we both have this aching feeling that I am not supposed to have the surgery. We agree that I will go through the process of approval, and the 6 consecutive months of physician visits. I’m just here looking for support, guidance and information. Looking forward to getting to know all of you.
DisneyDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:24 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

oh honey. my heart goes out to you. Miscarriages are among the most devastating events in anyone's life, and i'm so sorry you've endured two in such quick succession.

Having said that, I'm not sure that the take-away message is that you're not supposed to have the surgery. The two things seem very unrelated to me [but then again, I'm more scientific than anything else ]

All i can say is TAKE YOUR TIME making this decision. have long heart-to-hearts with your doc. I'm sure your surgeon will send you to a gyn or two, and that'll be important. After the 6 months, see how you're doing, how you're feeling, what you're thinking. Maybe you'll decide that the surgeon can send in the paperwork to the insurance company - and they'll take some time to decide.

or you might decide to delay the decision once again.

What surgery are you considering? with most of them, docs recommend against getting pregnant until 18-24 months post-op, so this is something you and your husband will have to discuss as well.

glad you're here! we'll do whatever we can to help you. but remember, surgery isn't for everyone. BUT you deserve to look at it from all angles and decide whether it's right FOR YOU
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #3  

Sorry, I wasn't very clear, my losses almost 7 years apart, no pregnancies in between. We feel we are certainly finished in the baby department. I am planning on starting my 6 month approval process in March. Just have a terrible gut feeling about it. That said, I very like will still have it done. Hoping research, and support will make me feel better about it.
DisneyDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote