Old 02-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 181/150/140

Height: 5'7"

Default In need of some encouragement please

Hey everyone!

I'm currently on holidays and spent a couple of days visiting my sister for her birthday. This was the first time on IP that I had to deal with eating in social settings and at other people's homes. I did pretty well: I brought a tonne of vegetables and packets, and while everyone had wine and chips, I had Dill Zippers and Perrier. LOL. I passed over the stuffing, cake, pickled carrots and all the other delicious food that was there and ate turnips and turkey. Oddly, it was both really hard and really easy to do this but I consider it a NSV for sure. It was definitely empowering to discover that I don't have to cave in to every food whim I have.

Today was also my WI #3 and I'm down 11 pounds.

BUT... today I feel such a lack of energy, lack of desire to eat or drink, lack of motivation to keep going... it's like all my motivation and energy were spent on the weekend resisting the temptations around me. I even don't want to do anything besides sleep.

Has anyone felt like this before? Is this just the excitement and newness of the diet wearing off and reality setting in?

Help.
JanMarie40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:58 PM   #2  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Wow - you've done great with all that going on! Congratulations are in order!

Could it be you are just tired? Being on holiday, seeing all your family, etc. can take a lot out of you. Plus being tense with all that food around - no wonder you are tired!

Take a day or two and be nice to yourself. Be sure to get all your food and water, etc. in but take some time to take a nice long bath, naps, read a book, go for an easy walk - anything that you like to do and relaxes you.

You've done great so far! Hang in there!
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:03 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
Wow - you've done great with all that going on! Congratulations are in order!

Could it be you are just tired? Being on holiday, seeing all your family, etc. can take a lot out of you. Plus being tense with all that food around - no wonder you are tired!

Take a day or two and be nice to yourself. Be sure to get all your food and water, etc. in but take some time to take a nice long bath, naps, read a book, go for an easy walk - anything that you like to do and relaxes you.

You've done great so far! Hang in there!
Thank you so much for your kind words Ruth Ann! I'm crying now - I must be tired!! Ha ha. Or the diet is releasing crazy hormones into my system again. Family - you can't live without them, and you can't live with them! LOL. I have been super wound-up and stressed at work too so maybe it is just that I need some serious down-time. I never treat myself to nice things like a walk for enjoyment's sake... maybe that's what I'll do this afternoon! I really appreciate your kind support
Old 02-19-2014, 04:33 PM   #4  
Started IP 04/22/2013

You are quite welcome JanMarie! And yes, hormones do get released as we lose weight since they are stored in our fat!
Old 02-19-2014, 04:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Janmarie, IP can be draining. It takes such intense focus and willpower,that it is tiring especially at the beginning. That said, it is also the best decision I have ever made about my health.

You are also correct about the hormones! The breakdown of fat messes with them, in a big way I try to remember when I am feeling emotional or weepy
that it is more about chemicals and less about my actual feelings.

When I am not hungry, I focus on food being fuel for my body. Empty tank and the engine does not run. I picture ketosis as a fat burning furnace and that OP food is needed to fuel that furnace. So I eat anyway.

I think that Ruth Ann is right about relaxing. Have you thought of rewarding yourself for staying OP?

Hope some of this helps. You have done great so far. You can do this!
Slipfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #6  

Height: 5 '6

JanMarie, sounds like your tired and maybe you did use a lot of energy saying no to all that amazing food! I got over confidant this month and had tons of company both to show friends my new house and also to thank the million people who helped me with my move. I had awesome food all around and didn't touch it...

My sister and her family came to visit this weekend and I stayed up late and of course woke up before 6am as usual! That seemed to contribute to my lack of motivation this week. I slept 10hrs one night and have been taking it easy at work for a couple of days and now I'm feeling back to my motivated self.

I think I'm going to try and slow my schedule down a little (not that its possible!) I'm able to stay more focussed on the task at hand when I'm not overbooking my life!

Last edited by Hiker88; 02-19-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Hiker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #7  
maintaining since 9/2013

JanMarie, Wow! You are on your way. That's huge NSV. Do you gat the IP videos from your clinic? No biggie if not, but I recall one where they talk about studies on will power. Apparently the more decisions you have to make about eating right, the more you deplete you will power. Maybe that's why you feel depleted in addition to the things suggested above. The advice IP gives in the video is to try to arrange your life so you don't have to make the will power choices too often. Easier said than done if you have any social life. I had to avoid a lot of social stuff on P1--it was just too much for me to keep saying no. If you need to do that sometimes, remember it's only temporary.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenectady View Post
Jan Marie - Your words remind me of how I felt at just about the same point in this process - for a while I doubted the rightness of taking on IP because I felt so listless.

For me, it did get much easier. Every day that I was able to stay 100%OP cemented my determination to make this program work by giving it my all. The more times that you face challenges a you did with your family and make it through the easier it becomes. Soon it is second nature.

So hang in there and take very good care of yourself during the harder periods. Treat yourself to a really good long book or video and to heck with the consequences to your normal "schedule".

Read this site and you can learn the experiences that have helped others make this program work!
Thank you Schenectady! I've picked up a book but its about a group of people who want to jump off a roof on New Year's Eve. Perhaps not an inspiring read for the down times? LOL. I appreciate your words of encouragement! I think tonight I'll treat myself to a movie!
Old 02-19-2014, 05:34 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipfree View Post
Janmarie, IP can be draining. It takes such intense focus and willpower,that it is tiring especially at the beginning. That said, it is also the best decision I have ever made about my health.

You are also correct about the hormones! The breakdown of fat messes with them, in a big way I try to remember when I am feeling emotional or weepy
that it is more about chemicals and less about my actual feelings.

When I am not hungry, I focus on food being fuel for my body. Empty tank and the engine does not run. I picture ketosis as a fat burning furnace and that OP food is needed to fuel that furnace. So I eat anyway.

I think that Ruth Ann is right about relaxing. Have you thought of rewarding yourself for staying OP?

Hope some of this helps. You have done great so far. You can do this!
Thank you too, Slipfree! I had thought of different things I could do to reward myself when I reached certain goals, but so far I haven't followed through!! But this afternoon after Ruth Ann's message I walked to a drug store and bought some pretty nail polish! The simple things, right? LOL. I am feeling better already.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:36 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiker88 View Post
JanMarie, sounds like your tired and maybe you did use a lot of energy saying no to all that amazing food! I got over confidant this month and had tons of company both to show friends my new house and also to thank the million people who helped me with my move. I had awesome food all around and didn't touch it...

My sister and her family came to visit this weekend and I stayed up late and of course woke up before 6am as usual! That seemed to contribute to my lack of motivation this week. I slept 10hrs one night and have been taking it easy at work for a couple of days and now I'm feeling back to my motivated self.

I think I'm going to try and slow my schedule down a little (not that its possible!) I'm able to stay more focussed on the task at hand when I'm not overbooking my life!
Wow, you have great will power!! That's awesome! It definitely seems easier to stay on track when I have time to plan and organize.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:42 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
JanMarie, Wow! You are on your way. That's huge NSV. Do you gat the IP videos from your clinic? No biggie if not, but I recall one where they talk about studies on will power. Apparently the more decisions you have to make about eating right, the more you deplete you will power. Maybe that's why you feel depleted in addition to the things suggested above. The advice IP gives in the video is to try to arrange your life so you don't have to make the will power choices too often. Easier said than done if you have any social life. I had to avoid a lot of social stuff on P1--it was just too much for me to keep saying no. If you need to do that sometimes, remember it's only temporary.
Thank you Mars735

I do get the videos, but I don't think I've seen that one yet. It sounds really interesting. I find that the timing of the videos is pretty spot on to how I'm feeling. They must have put a lot of thought into that!!

Thank goodness I don't have a social life!!! LOL. It's true, though, I'm a homebody and a workaholic so at least I don't have many social activities over the next few months. It's actually a pretty good time to do IP because of this.

Whew. I'm feeling better. I think if I give myself a manicure, watch a fun movie tonight and go to bed early I'll have more energy tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone!! You've all been very helpful
Old 02-19-2014, 06:45 PM   #12  

I would second everyone here that you have done amazing so far! I completely have been in your shoes, and find myself there sometimes more than I would like BUT is passes. Mars had a great point about willpower...the more you use the less you have. Making such significant changes and sticking with them while those around you are indulging is hard and at times feels awful (it did for me anyway). I am confident that you are moving in the right direction with your choices. Take a day or two and let it pass...and in the meantime celebrate success and your dedication. Best of luck to you!
eandc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:02 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandc2006 View Post
I would second everyone here that you have done amazing so far! I completely have been in your shoes, and find myself there sometimes more than I would like BUT is passes. Mars had a great point about willpower...the more you use the less you have. Making such significant changes and sticking with them while those around you are indulging is hard and at times feels awful (it did for me anyway). I am confident that you are moving in the right direction with your choices. Take a day or two and let it pass...and in the meantime celebrate success and your dedication. Best of luck to you!
Thank you

Did my nails, watched a movie... might find another way to spoil myself tonight! I feel a little silly whining when I've only been on IP for 3 weeks but I suppose it's a process and we all take one day at a time.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:55 AM   #14  

I was VERY tired weeks 2-4 on the diet. I read about all the energy others had yet found myself literally falling into bed exhausted at 9 pm every night. Luckily, my energy returned about week 5 and, unless I over-exert myself, I can get through the days just fine.
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:57 AM   #15  
Started IP 04/22/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanMarie40 View Post
Thank you

Did my nails, watched a movie... might find another way to spoil myself tonight! I feel a little silly whining when I've only been on IP for 3 weeks but I suppose it's a process and we all take one day at a time.
Good job JanMarie! And you are allowed to whine occasionally here - we all understand! This is a great place to come when you're feeling tired, overwhelmed, discouraged - someone will come up with a great idea or at least be able to commiserate.

Here's the deal - most of us have been so focused on food for so long that once we hit our stride with IP and it's no longer new to us then we kind of don't know what to do. We've spent so much time thinking about food before we started (i.e. what do I eat next?) and then so much time thinking about food when we start IP that we're at a loss as to what to do with ourselves and our minds go to that old friend, food. Old habits are hard to break but it can be done. Before IP if I watched a movie I had popcorn. Now I do my nails or pet the cat (trust me, you can't eat with a 20 lb cat on your lap!) or even just take a piece of yarn and play with it to keep my hands busy. Just recognizing that it's a habit makes it easier to come up with alternatives.