Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 09:17 AM   #1  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Talking Getting Enough Fiber ?

Getting Enough Fiber on a Low Carb Diet

Most of us are trained to get our fiber from carbohydrates such as bread, pasta, fruits and cereals. On a low carbohydrate diet, these foods are restricted. It becomes necessary, therefore, to find alternative methods to increase the fiber in your diet.

However, many vegetables have as much fiber, or more, per serving than a slice of bread. Good veggie sources of fiber for low-carbers include spinach, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, lettuce, and celery.
In addition, psyllium husks and flax meal, either mixed with water or sprinkled on food, are inexpensive and excellent sources of fiber. There are also flax meal cereals, such as Bob’s Red Mill brand, that can be made into porridge with excellent fiber and no carbohydrates.

If necessary, a synthetic form of fiber such as Metamucil should be utilized. Remember, you are not only expediting your weight loss, you are also protecting yourself from potential health problems.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:59 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Hey Leenie - I'm lurking LOL - but wanted to say GREAT POST! I recently got a $15 pamphlet called "The Thyroid Diet" by Mary J. Shomon with lots of good info. In it, she talks about the need to dramatically increase your fiber intake to 30-40 grams a day. She says that raw fruits and veggies have more fiber then cooked or canned foods or juice and that dried fruits are especially good sources of fiber. "Three dried figs, for example, have 120 calories, but a whopping 10.5 grams of fiber, and they taste better then Fig Newtons, are chewy, satisfying like candy, but high in fiber." She also mentioned All Bran cereal has 90 calories per 1/2 cup, and 10.4 grams of fiber. I like mixing All Bran into my yogurt for fiber and crunch. And that 1/4 cup of sliced almonds are 2.4 grams of fiber, and that beans are a powerhouse of fiber.

She also mentioned Metamucil if you couldn't get enough fiber in with the other stuff.

Now I don't know if those things fit into Atkins, but I'm sure most of them would fit into a low carb diet.

Cathy
Old 01-13-2004, 11:32 AM   #3  
The Princess O' Pets

I love Bob's Red Mill Brand and they just opened up a HUGE store in Milwaukie Oregon!!

I need to go there and get some fiber!! And look at the new store!!
Old 01-13-2004, 12:19 PM   #4  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

I am a high fiber girl myself, bran cereal, and lots and lots of beans. can you do beans on low carb? lentels, black beans, red beans, navy beans are all high in protein and really high in fiber.

Goya makes a black bean soup with 22 grams of fiber and 1 grams of protein...

(just butting in )
-L
Old 01-13-2004, 12:27 PM   #5  

Hey L - good to see ya girl!

Have you always been a high fiber girl? did you notice any changes when you started eating more fiber? just wondering?

In this Thyroid Diet book she says "a high-fiber diet is a critical aspect of weight loss." she says she can drop calories very low and exercise and not lose weight, but if she ups her fiber intake, and in particular, if she eats beans in some form every day, the weight loss will start back up again.

Was wondering if you found the same results?

hugs,
cathy
Old 01-13-2004, 02:38 PM   #6  
Baby Steps

is metamucil allowed? doesn't it have sugar? or does that rank there with "good sugar"??
Old 01-13-2004, 06:24 PM   #7  
Owned by Dixie

Metimucal comes suger free, I like the benifiber myself, no tast no sugar either.

Cathy, good to see you too. In answer to your questions, yes i try to do high fiber. i have Crohns and colitis and for years they said no fiber. i went away to a spa that had a high fiber diet and within 3 days I was feeling a million times better. as a matter of fact I have not had any steroids in almost 8 years....

i do notice I am fuller longer, I don't get the desire to eat, it may be the high protein they offer but the fiber, after you get use to it, really makes me feel better over all. Start slowly, get some beano, and don't sit too close to anyone on the bus for a few days

This like the high protein diets I think can be very satisfying. it was the only thing that got me through ww was the unlimited fiber. then they took it away. i have struggled for the last year to get back on track and I think I have found my way agian with the high fiber plan.

Fiber helps to keep the colon clean, MAKES you drink TONS of water and all in all is "good" unrefined carbs which is what we all look for.

Does any of this helf or am I spouting?
-L
Old 01-13-2004, 07:48 PM   #8  

Hey L - of course this helps! fuller longer sure sounds real good to me! and I wondered about all those beans - good idea with the Beano stuff - I guess it really does help?

I did not know you had Crohns! I have a friend with Crohns and poor thing she is always having to deal with something to do with the Crohns. I'm sorry to hear that you are dealing with it too.

Thanks for the info!

hugs,
cathy
Old 01-13-2004, 08:14 PM   #9  
Owned by Dixie

Cathy thanks, I am doing great...really no big problems in almost 8 years I swear! it is a bit of a ballancing act to get the moon and the stars to align to keep the symptoms at bay....I hope you friend can figure it out too.

I know this is the atkins forum so I ask again, can you eat beans on atkins or is the carb count too high even though you can deduct the fiber?
-L
Old 01-13-2004, 08:21 PM   #10  
Baby Steps

From what I read the only time they don't recommend you eating beans (legumes I think they called it-I could be wrong) while on induction. otherwise you can eat it.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:21 AM   #11  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

LadyA, I would say your right, you just got to be careful how much. But doesn't that rule apply to everything lol heheh !!!
Closed Thread