Thread: Skinny-shaming
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #6
Wannabeskinny

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time with this.

For dealing with strangers and acquaintances you may have to suck it up and stand up for yourself. You don't have to be rude about it but I would practice this response at home in the mirror a few times and then take it out for a spin. "I'm sorry Sheila, I don't mean to be rude but my personal appearance/weight loss/nutrition (or whatever Sheila is talking about) is not something I want to talk about" smile and then change the subject. If they stammer, apologize or go on about it come back with "I know you're only trying to compliment me but I feel uncomfortable discussing my body with anyone." Hopefully this will make them realize that their line of conversation is inappropriate and none of their business.

If it's coming from loved ones that you know very well then these conversations can be taken a little further. It's ok to tell someone that the conversation is making your uncomfortable. It's probably the only way to make it stop. And loved ones don't want to hurt you and hopefully they will come to understand. After all, when someone makes your body the topic of conversation how is that any different than someone touching you inappropriately? I'm sorry to compare it like that but nobody wants to be scrutinized like that.

“If you try to lose weight by shaming, depriving and fearing yourself, you will end up shamed, deprived, and afraid.” Geneen Roth

Last edited by Wannabeskinny : 02-13-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Wannabeskinny is offline   Reply With Quote