Old 08-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Cat is addicted to Youtube Cat videos (not OF cats, FOR cats).

Our very bossy, very spoiled cat loves watching what hubby and I call kitty tv. Youtube videos for cats.

About once or twice a week, we'll let her watch videos or play cat video games on my Nook tablet or hubby's ipad (she prefers the ipad's bigger screen). She actually has "claimed" both tablets as her own, and will even sit on them possessively if she sees one unattended. She'll also paw at us while we're using them and nudges the screen with her head or taps the screen with her paw.

This morning I turned on what I thought was her favorite "show" (squirrels and chipmunks at a feeder). She settled in on the bed to watch, ten a few seconds made her disgusted sound at walked away...... I had turned on the wrong squirrel 'show".

Hubby (competing for her affection, the damned brown nosing suck up) found the right vid on his tablet and set it upright in front of the cat. She settled in to watch and started purring, and giving hubby lovey eyes.... he won this round. Or maybe I did, since kitty prefers hubby's tablet, I get more time with my own.

It's seriously funny though to watch.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 300/see ticker/165

Height: 5ft 8in

I am so glad I don't have an iPad: my lot would get addicted !!!
CrazyCatWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 270/260s/120

Height: 5'1"

Sometimes I wish this forum had a "like" button. I love cats.
LadyPetite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 170/168.6/140

Height: 5'8"

This is the best thing I've read all day. I can't decide if it makes me want a cat more, or less...
lollerskates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

So funny. Thank you.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I read this post to my husband, he loved it as much as I did. Reminds me of our cats.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

That's so funny. Just tried it on my cat and I thought he was going to attack my laptop (he didn't thankfully). But he doesn't understand why he can't just look behind the screen and get them. He really likes this one best so far http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-bEtoNzGHY
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclai4067 View Post
That's so funny. Just tried it on my cat and I thought he was going to attack my laptop (he didn't thankfully). But he doesn't understand why he can't just look behind the screen and get them. He really likes this one best so far http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-bEtoNzGHY

Lol! That's ChubChub's second favorite!

She also looks behind the screen and sometimes digs at the mattress (it's usually a morning bed game, because like a toddler, it keeps her occupied otherwise she tries to nag us into moving the daily schedule along at a faster pace).

I made the mistake last night of turning on a kitten video to see how she'd react, and the kitten made an alarm cry, and it distressed Chub terribly. She spent several minutes searching desperately for the "lost kitten," and even after she stopped searching, she spent another 5 minutes or so on "high alert," with her posture upright and ears held high.

It was cute and heartbreaking at the same time, especially since she's a cat that hates all other nonhuman animals. She even yowls if she sees a big bug until hubby kills it for her.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I showed the linked video to one of my cats, and she climbed up onto the desk from my arms and sat on the laptop, and looked for the birdies. Next time I show it I'll put it on the bed so she can get a better view.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 280/see ticker/130

Height: 5'8"

Reading this put such a smile on my face! Your cat sounds hilarious! Thank you for sharing.
My family has two small dogs that have quite a few special antics of their own, they will also paw at you surprisingly with a good amount of force to get your attention. I think I may be tempted to show them some videos on my ipad and see their reaction.
levoguette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #11  

Chubbers also will paw for attention. First a very gentle, tap-tap, then an insistent pawing, then a gentle nip and finally a less gentle bite (not hard enough to hurt, but definitely an attention getter).

What's really funny is when she bites a little too hard. If you jump either because it startled you, or because it did hurt, she'll make this soft, sound we call her "apology meow" and will then lick the spot she just bit. Of course, if you continue to ignore you, she will bite again (but she'll regret having to do it, or so it seems).

I know biting sounds like a bad habit to allow. I initially taught her to "sit pretty" on her haunches, and taught her to use that as her desperate for attention tactic rather than the biting. It worked well until her arthritis got bad. Every once in a while she'll try to do it, especially if we're eating something she wants and the soft bite doesn't work. We'd actually rather she attention-bite than hurt herself trying to sit pretty.

She's such a bossy, crabby old lady. And as we spoil her in her old age, she only gets crabbier. She often acts like a bossy mother and we are naughty and very stupid kittens. Other times, she is a dowager queen, and we are very lazy, stupid servants.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:30 PM   #12  

S/C/G: Peak 300/Restart 270/Goal 130

Height: 5'4.5'

kaplods - i know you posted this a while ago but I had to chime in. I have actually purchased cat dvds... Yup - Kitty Sitter videos!

they love them to bits, and I actually find that the bird calls or aquarium is very soothing while I do house work.
Kat117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #13  

Lol, how fun.

I recently got a pet rat, and ChubChub seems to think we got Princess for her entertainment. She uses the same meow she uses for "change the channel" or "find me a more interesting video."

When we first got the rat, Chub would look at the cage and meow at me which I interpreted as "Mommy, make the rat do something intetesting."

Now she meows directly at the cage "Hey rat, do something intetesting," but will come to me and complain if the rat doesn't heed her command.

When I get the rat OUT of her cage, Chub will immediately leave the room, much like if she sees or hears a garbage bag being crinkled. She's only slightly more afraid of garbage bags than the rat.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #14  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I may have to try this on my cat. She's only about four months old and was abandoned quite young, so she tends to take more of her behavior cues from the dog and the guinea pigs than from actual cat habits. (she barks when people come to the door. The Basset Hound doesn't even do that!).

She drives me nuts in the morning because she is so high energy. When she can't get enough attention, she riles up the dog. Maybe some kitty youtube will chill her out.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:32 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 105kg/103kg/60kg

Height: 1.60m

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyPetite View Post
Sometimes I wish this forum had a "like" button. I love cats.
That's a good idea, and I've seen a 'like' function in other forums.
JamieToo is offline   Reply With Quote