Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 05:47 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – February 2014 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
Old 02-01-2014, 05:49 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - National Freedom Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating, including snacks, was on plan, CREDIT moi, to streak to 73. Snacking got challenged last night in front of a table with eight homemade desserts and a box of a dozen types of dark chocolate covered shortbread's (personal favorite); I served myself none; I sampled none; I took none from DW's plate - separate CREDIT moi. My evening snack got switched from fruit to the apricot/walnut thing that DW baked to bring to the event and served with dinner so she could get my taste approval. She bakes desserts about once per year and I've always been her final judge. This one had so little sugar that the primary taste was apricots - closer to 'food' than most dessert concoctions.

Exercise was dancing in the evening, CREDIT moi. I watched some folks older than me who perfectly matched the beat and the movements with minimal exertion - a good reminder that one can dance as long as one's mobile. (One woman walked in using a cane that she didn't bring on the dance floor!)

onebyone – Neat that your Fitbit calculates that you expend "about 2300 calories a day." Kudos for recognizing "winter blahs" so that you can figure out counter strategies.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – A good reminder: "to look at people and didn't even look at the food." You're dead right; I love Francine Prose's book. Reading like a writer is one of a group of books I'm reading trying to figure out how to write a memoir - which for me is short vignettes from a memoir. I'm in a group that meets twice a month to read to each other. After a lifetime of generating engineering text, it's a challenge to shift to details that allow a reader to infer the situation rather than attempting to draw their conclusions for them.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Whatever "sausage sizzle ambush" is, I want some just for its grabbing name. Yay for weather that makes outside appealing.

Athletic (FutureFitChick) – Kudos for working your physical therapy seriously enough to start at 7am.

maryann - Love the perspective that allows you to bring your own salad knowing "I will soon be forgotten in the eating frenzy." Happy crabbing tonight.

nationalparker – Bon Voyage!!! Enjoy, make choices, and enjoy some more. I'll remember your, "Free isn't calorie-free" the next time I'm at Whole Foods.

ForMyGirls - Yep, Kudos indeed for standing down the unplanned beer - especially with the added motivation of a house full of kids. Wonderful story of the struggle between your tummy and your taste buds.

AZtricia - Ouch for sick; Quadruple Ouch for four sickies at the same time. Kudos for working to make yourself pleased with your fish since it's such a good food choice.

flnu - My take is that you made exactly the right choices at your office celebration. As ForMyGirls mentioned, I've incorporated a rare and unusual clause into my eating plan just for such occasions so that I can have the experience that I'd resent missing while staying to my plan (instead of taking a 'cheat day'). Kudos for thinking that one through. (I, also, intend to take cake at my daughter's wedding; probably eat two bites since wedding cake will be competing with other food that day.)

Readers -
Quote:
day 11 Differentiate Between Hunger, Desire, and Cravings

Monitor Your Hunger

Rate your hunger again once you've finished eating. Notice your thoughts: Do you still want to eat more? Do you feel a physical sensation in your stomach? Is it more in your mouth or throat? What does it feel like? How strong are your sensations? Do you want to eat a specific food (which probably means you're still hungry)? Describe the sensations in the chart.
. . . Twenty minutes after you've finished eating, rate your hunger and then describe any physical sensation or desire to eat that you're experiencing in the chart.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 119.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:44 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches.
Great start to the day with an early morning. I am hoping to be up and around a little bit more today, hopefully with some laundry and maybe a trip to the grocery. I don't think I am ready to walk the whole store, but I REALLY don't want to use a cart. So, we'll see what I do.

Food planning for today is done, but do need items from the store to execute.

Exercise is more PT.

BBE, your Friday night dances sound great. Glad you left the temptation on the plate.

Have a great day!
Old 02-01-2014, 11:43 AM   #4  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Today

Coaches

I'm off to the studio to further declutter and pack and sort and turn both heaters, watch the thermometer and time how long it takes to get to 20C give or take. I say when, but really it's an "if".

Once I do this, and visit my mom to get her dirty laundry, I am off to the gym to do my weight routine. I have to say the worst part of the whole routine for me are three sets of exercises for my triceps. *sigh* 3sets x 12reps. My right side is stronger than my left. By like 4 reps. So today I will do one set pf 12 then do something else and then return to it so I am not doing them back to back to back which, right now, is almost impossible on that left hand side. I don't like to see my reflection in the mirror either. I remind myself I am looking to see if my shoulders are creeping up to my ears (bad) but I am truly focused, and saddened, by my doughy body. I see all that is "wrong" and a wave of discouragement washes over me. I am always in emotional conflict there. I just have to do it anyway and send encouraging thoughts to that person in the mirror. I am *extremely grateful* to have a functioning body that really is very strong.

Foodwise I am using my fallback plan= three meals a day, 1 snack, no sugar. The no sugar part is big challenge these days. I want wAnT WANT sugar. I am choosing to say no to this destructive urge.
No Sugar Streak=2.

Ok better go. Looking forward to what the groundhog predicts tomorrow! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dapper rodent, predict an early Spring!

UPDATE: got to the studio but with the weather turning bad (freezing rain) I didn't want to chance a scary drive home so I cut everything short. Nothing that can't wait. What I didn't cut short was the gym. All day until I actually pulled into the parking lot, no, actually until I walked through the doors and the receptionist said Hi, I kept trying to worm out of doing my weight routine today. As soon as I walked in I saw my trainer there.And that was something as there were maybe 4 people in due to the bad weather. She said she was glad to see me and I told her of my inner fight over coming to the gym. She said it's always the right thing to do. I told her I knew it wasn't like I wouldn't think about it if I didn't go. I would! and more! I skipped the cardio - I think I'll do WATP at home to cover some of that - the weight routine just wipes me out. I'm 100% ok with that. Also I bypassed baked goods in the grocery store reminding myself I was sugar-free today. Then I was tempted by the snacky things in bags. Again I just said no and bought the stuff to fill the veggie tray up.

Last edited by onebyone; 02-01-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Major food shopping to prep for food plan. Started this morning with the same vague dread that I always have when I know I won can'tt have any food I want at anytime. Hmmm. Hmmm. That desire sounds a little childish. I persevere with my smoothie. For lunch I am trying a new recipe of sautιed cabbage and onions to go along with my organic beef. I am hoping DS will like the cabbage since I am sautιing it in bacon drippings (no butter allowed.) Tonite I will be swimming in a frenzy of fish.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 02-01-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:36 PM   #6  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Hello coaches,
Happy February! Just returned from grocery shopping. Whole Foods had the yummy flowering kale again, so I purchased some. OP so far for today but it is raining sporadically so my walks with pup will have to watch for dry spells. Off to put my feet up and recover from fighting the crowds.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:42 PM   #7  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

You guys rock! I still dislike the planning ahead thing. Like my card says "Just Do It." Have a good day all.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:00 PM   #8  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone--happy February.

We're having a splash of 'warm' in our cold streak (40F, 4C), but we're back to colder tomorrow (highs of 30F, -1C) (and then we get colder from there, it looks like). I took advantage of the warmer day to go for a walk this afternoon. DH even came with me, although he didn't really want to. I'm sort of regretting I didn't take two walks.

Food was OP. I hadn't planned today out very well, but did fine putting it together. One thing that is easy and I intend to keep permanent is the switch of "side dishes" and the quantity adjustments.

For example, I used to have chips and dips with sandwiches all the time--now I have veggies and a (measured) serving of hummus and a side of fruit. For dinner (we had spaghetti tonight), there was usually garlic bread. Now there's salad and fresh fruit. And these adjustments have gotten to the point where they're easy--and that's a great feeling.

I used to eat 2-3 bowls of breakfast cereal if I had cereal for breakfast (which also included a second serving of milk). Now I have 1 cup of cereal--which is smaller than my earlier servings were--and I'm fine with it. (And I never put the box of cereal on the table--it goes back in the pantry before I sit down!)

maryann: You can do this--you've shown over and over again that you can do really hard things. You're amazing!

onebyone: Big credit for making it to the gym when the weather is so bad--congrats!

Take care, all!
Old 02-02-2014, 03:57 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Hi diet coaches

The weekend is over almost and I need to plan food for the week - I have some ideas but they need to materialise as meals for the week. I will need to do some shopping on the way home tomorrow. Weekend food was good and on plan - I have planned food for today and dinner is sorted for when I finish here. The only snacks I am really having are my fermented drinks generally and maybe a piece of chocolate (dark or sugar free) at night. During the week I have added in an apple because I think they do all sorts of good things - so wear the extra carbs.

I wanted to use the gym today as I had a 14 day cooling off time - I still haven't seen a trainer as they haven't contacted me! So huge credit I took myself off this afternoon. I think I like this gym - it has a good feel and it is not toxically noisy. The pool isn't overfull which is great. I did 5 minutes on the bike - having to rest every minute after 2 mins; 10 minutes on the treadmill without really noticing; and 1 minute on the cross trainer - that machine kills me. I then did a few stretches and used the adductor and abductor machines. When they show me I might be able to do some upper body work - gym bag is packed in case they contact me tomorrow. There was a 30 day "fat loss" challenge going so I thought I may as well sign up - I have a lot of that to lose! I perhaps have an unfair advantage LOL.

Credits: Food OP - lots more veggies; logged food in MFP; 7000 steps; weighed myself and logged my weight; posted to my coaches; ate sitting down - 80%

BillBE - your life sounds so civilized where you get to dance and (credit) reject fabulous food. Credit for adjusting your plan to act as dessert taster
FutureFitChick - don't push yourself to walk before your body is ready - use that cart if you need to - it will all come together eventually
Maryann - you have survived this diet in the past and you will succeed again and again by the look of it. Cabbage with onions and bacon (grease and the whole thing) is one of my mother's recipes that I still make - yummy so hope your DS enjoys it - I did as a kid.
Beth(fromDayton) - like your new Avatar - congratulations.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:08 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

First of all, thank you, Coaches, for your thoughtful responses. You are very helpful.

Day 16 was...middling. My willpower was fine. But I again did not have success planning: My children at the leftovers I had planned to eat (in their defense, it was pizza). I stayed on my diet with something else but failed Beck's diet.

Day 17 is not yet done. Planned and on-plan through breakfast and lunch. Don't expect any challenges at dinner because we are cooking for guests, so it's all prepped. I will do the overeating exercise at lunch tomorrow. Too embarrassing to be so odd about eating with guests. Oh, forgot to add, thanks for the tips about baking with kids. Planned for and ate two chocolate chip cookies.

BBE: Maybe I’ll get to such a point, knowing that I will eat with intention, 20 years from now, at my daughter’s wedding. I am glad for you that you are there now.

Beth: Those changes are awesome. And you can have them forever!

FutureFitChick: It seems like your surgery and rehab are going well. I hope so anyway.

Onebyone: I am glad you ended your reflections on how you feel about your body with the statement that your body is functioning and strong. Yes.

Maryann: You seems so on top. Beth said it best. Re-read what Beth said.

Tricia: Hope you found a dry spell. Enjoy the kale.

Bunnababy: You and me both. I’m still trying to figure out planning. So far I am surprisingly bad at it. I hope I will get better with practice.

Last edited by flnu; 02-02-2014 at 04:09 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:22 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

"Hunger is not an emergency" "Hunger is not an emergency" "Hunger is not an emergency" - that was pretty much the soundtrack of my afternoon. But it worked!

So - credit for that. Credit also for being at a birthday celebration today where I ate only fruit (and only a small amount at that). credit for not indulging in ice-cream or ice-blocks when coming home from a few hours out in this insufferable heat (thus far I have been managing to hide in air-conditioned building through most of the heat waves so it was a bit of shock to discover what the outdoors feels like for a sustained period today!)

Food ? 100 % OP; Health activities 100% OP? no ; Drank 2L water? no ; Went to bed on time? no ; Streak count: 6

I have a challenging week coming up. Not only am I back at work after a month's holiday - but the big stress in my life is also going to be very much at the forefront during this week. I feel like I am well prepared for it though. I have debrief sessions lined up with loved ones during the week - I have all my meals planned - and I have been clear with myself that this is a week in which it is OK to fall well short of perfection - but it is NOT OK to eat instead of feeling. I am committed to: water drinking, posting daily, lights out on time and food being 90%+. The rest is a bonus!

BBE - major kudos for declining home-made desserts!

Onebyone - I love that you told your trainer of your struggle to get to the gym. It made me realise that I always put on the "brave face" with trainers - is it any wonder they can't understand how it feels to be me if I don't show them my vulnerability and fear. So - well done you - I imagine it will be far easier for your trainer to give you the right support if she gets real information about what you are experiencing.

Beth - I am in awe of going for a walk when it is 4C!
Old 02-02-2014, 06:38 AM   #12  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Groundhog Day on Super Bowl Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – CREDIT moi for eating on plan, including snacks to stretch that streak to 74. Lunch was a can of sardines instead of the usual peanut butter, banana, and pecans sandwich. I tried a new variety of King Oscar cross pack sardines in E.V. olive oil. Had them without the crackers that I'v always felt compelled to add. Yummy beyond yummy. Think I'll try to incorporate them once a week. There's this added warm feeling that oily fish are good for the heart. One benefit to the tiny ones is that eating them one by one forces eating slowly.

Exercise was nearly nil. Ouch. Was busy inside all day and never got out. DW and I did head out to a 7:10 pm movie with 4 star reviews. Found it sold out - on a Saturday night, Duh! We came home and watched a DVD that's been waiting for almost two years. Were happy to learn that our Christmas-new DVD player producs a very sharp image.

onebyone – Yes, Yes, Yes to "send encouraging thoughts to that person in the mirror." When I started gym at the beginning of my Journey, I was mortified at the Michelin Tire man staring back at me in the mirror as I sat on a giant ball. Finally, I started laughing and it became easier. Kudos for skipping the baked goods at the grocery store.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Kudos for signing up for that 30 day "fat loss" challenge. Your gym does sound inviting.

FutureFitChick – Yay for being up a bit more. Hope you find your compromise walking the store.

maryann - That "sautιed cabbage and onions" sounds good to me. Kudos for taking your smoothie and moving on.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Your "(measured) serving of hummus" is so important - I've been aghast at how much I can scoop from an open container before I'm done.

ForMyGirls - Super Kudos for "it is OK to fall well short of perfection - but it is NOT OK to eat instead of feeling." Ouch for the insufferable heat. May your transition back to work go well.

Sue (Bunnababy) - Yep, "Just Do It."

AZtricia - It's a good day when Flowering Kale is the food that grabs you at Whole Foods.

flnu - The first time I found cold pizza in the fridge available for my breakfast, I was ecstatic. And then profoundly sad as it hit me that the kids had really left home. Kudos for "Planned and on-plan."

Readers -
Quote:
day 11 Differentiate Between Hunger, Desire, and Cravings

Monitor Your Hunger

After a day of paying attention to the sensations in your abdomen and body, you'll be better able to distinguish between "hungry" and "not hungry." If you're still not sure, repeat the task - as many times as necessary - and discuss your findings with your diet coach. Whenever you know your stomach is full but you still want to eat, start labeling this state as desire or a craving.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 119.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Last night was a triumph in the face of insanity. The room was overfull, loud, and filled with unbelievable gluttony. Our bags were checked at the door - going in for alcohol, going out to make sure we didn't stuff crab in our purses. Wow! I was speechless. I had been to prior crabfeeds organized with a lot more class. This was pigs to a trough. To add to the chaos, DS and I had a fight in the car coming down. Was it because I was coming off addictive food, going into a food frenzy, or (here is one rarely thought of) maybe because he was having a bad night? Nevertheless, we made up. I ate my salad I brought. The crab meat was exceptionally good and I stayed OP even in the face of the silent auction dessert plate DS bid on.

Whew! Glad I am not going to a Superbowl Party. Two events like that in a row could do me in. I am sending the boys off to one and I think I will try to started organizing our web-infested garage. You can do it when the weather is 70 degrees and sunny. (I wish it wasn't).

bethfromDayton: I got a some goosebumps when you wrote about how the changes you have made with your meals have become the new "normal." I have experienced the same - 1 piece of bread for a sandwhich instead of two. Smoothies without yoghurt and with spinach. It is gratifying to know the eventual result of our struggles is peace with healthy living.

seadwaters: Yeah! You went to the gym. I think liking your gym is more important than any trainer there.

flnu: Credit for continuing to try to plan while life happens.

ForMyGirls; Love "It is not OK to eat instead of feel."

BBE: I am going to start eating sardines. They are encouraged on my three week drop - low mercury, sustainable, healthy fat. Off to the store to find your King Oscar brand.

Last edited by maryann; 02-02-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:30 PM   #14  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Hello Coaches,
Eating OP, Exercise OP (but will be back to regular/non-sick schedule tomorrow!), read ARC+

Walked three times, only once in the rain yesterday...had a great big umbrella and didn't get too wet. Also walked today

BillBlueEyes Mmmm, dark chocolate I'm not sure I could resist! Kudos to you. Your DW's dessert sounds delicious. Congrats on your 74 streak! Were your sardines the ones from Trader Joe? Glad you enjoyed your new player and the movie.

FutureFitChick
Hope you were feeling better and PT went well.

onebyone How's the fallback plan going? Have you ever heard of taking lactobacillis to help with sugar craving? It really helped me. It has to do with the balance of yeast vs good bacteria in your gut... Sounds like you've been very busy, LOL about the dapper rodent! Huge credit for filling your veggie tray.

maryann How's the new plan going? Sounds like you did well at your crazy crab event.

Bunnababy ...plan...plan...and more plan, thanks for the reminder to just do it.

bethFromDayton Thanks for sharing what you do for side dishes, and adjusted portions. I'm noticing that I need to change too. Don't think I've added in enough of the veggies/fruit yet though because my potassium is rarely above 60%DV. Nice picture

seadwaters Hope you were able to make it to collect groceries. Are you enjoying the fermented drinks? Hurray for a good gym, there is a cross trainer at our gym too but I've never tried it. Have fun w/ the challenge!

flnu Don't think of yourself as failing, but as being thoughtfully flexible. Staying on track with healthy choices will require that when you have kiddos. And you didn't fail to plan, your plan just became impossible!

ForMyGirls
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForMyGirls View Post
..."Hunger is not an emergency" "Hunger is not an emergency" "Hunger is not an emergency" ...
Kudos to you! Great job also on your choice of fruit. Hope your planning to deal with the stress makes a HUGE difference for you.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:22 PM   #15  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

I'm checking in (credit) but it was not an OP day. I was OP until the not-watching-the-superbowl-party, where I was not OP. However, I did stop before I was overfull, and I don't always manage that at parties, so that's a win.

No extra exercise, although I learned I should never go to the grocery store on Superbowl Sunday!

Tomorrow is back OP--I've got lunches and snacks packed for my (4-day) work week. I've got meals planned for the next three nights when we'll be home. The long weekend will be impossible to plan since we'll be traveling, but other than one dinner of Chicago pizza, I intend to make only OP choices.

And I will continue my "recording everything" streak--no fooling myself.
Closed Thread