View Single Post
Old 02-10-2014, 07:45 AM   #8
Wannabeskinny

S/C/G: 215/199/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by worththeeffort2 View Post
Don't allow negativity from others to impact your mood or decision. This is your journey. Don't let negative posts scare you away from doing what you need to do for yourself. This is about you living your life in the healthiest way you can.
I agree that nobody should be put off from doing what they need to do for themselves. Don't confuse someone who is relaying a negative experience with actual negativity. As someone who has reached out for help and been met with blank stares and the usual "just eat less and move more" or "just burn more calories than you take in" I can tell you that help is not always available at the first stop you make. It would be completely and totally irresponsible of me and others who've had a bad experience with professionals to not pass on that information. Anorexia and bulemia are acceptable eating disorders. For some reason (and I'm thinking prejudice against fat people) binge eating disorder is not really understood or even know amongst many medical professionals.

When I tried to find a therapist a few years ago I went to see several people. One tried to put me on a meal plan right away, what a joke. Another one was totally ridiculous, I mean one hundred percent certifiable. Ok this is how it went. She asked me why I came in to see her. I said something along the lines of I felt like my eating was out of control, I suspected that I had binge eating disorder and was feeling overwhelmed with compulsions to eat secretely. Then she asked "Ok, how long have you been fat?" Of course that was insulting. Then she went on to tell me that she'd gained some weight too and that we could try dieting together! She pulled out some supplements and told me to go on a juice fast. She hooked me up to some kind of stress machine that measured my brain waves and it indicated that I had a lot of stress. The whole session was so bizarre I never went back. It took a while to find a decent therapist.

Of course I advocate that people should get treatment and ask for help. But you have to listen to your gut too, not everyone is equipped to help and since many of us are feeling desperate and in need of help you really have to watch out for gimmicks, medical professionals who don't believe in BED, and quacky sort of treatment. That's not negativity, that's reality.

"Binging is a descent into a world where every restriction... is cut loose. At its core is a feeling of deprivation.. a feeling you can never get enough. Binges do not signify a lack of willpower or inability to care for yourself. On the contrary, binges are a urgent attempt to care for yourself when you feel uncared for. They are the voice of survival. Binges are the mark of the self that says, 'I am tired of feeling deprived, of being told I am wrong, that I am bad." - Geneen Roth
Wannabeskinny is offline   Reply With Quote