Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 02-08-2014, 04:57 PM   #1  

Default Hi! New here.

Hello!

I'm not new to this site, I've done Ideal Protein before, but I've never posted in this section. So here is a little back story.

I'm 28 and from New Orleans, LA. I am a Pastry Chef and Cake Decorator.

I was always really thin but after hurricane Katrina I became depressed, my asthma became worse so I was placed on strong steroids, and we were living in a hotel eating nothing but junk! It was a recipe for disaster and I quickly gained a large amount of weight. Not only had I lost my home and most of my belonging and was starting over somewhere strange, with the weight gain I felt I lost myself. I felt like I was in an alien body. I still feel that way sometimes. It has been a very hard road for me and losing the weight has been harder than I ever imagined. Since then I have tried many "diets" and have been diagnosed with some conditions. Such as rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia, which also make exercise difficult. But I think the number one culprit in my weight loss struggles has been my depression. I have lost weight and gained it back over and over... I start going strong, working out, losing weight but then I begin to get depressed and I backslide...

So I'm here to get help and advice on how to overcome being so down some days getting out of bed is the hardest thing to do, wanting to work out so bad but never being able to force myself to do it, wanting to eat healthy but becoming depressed and letting all of my hard work go to waste. Sometimes talking to people who understand where your coming from makes all the difference. I also hope I can be there to help other who may need my help too!

Thanks for reading and I hope to get to know many of you!
WhoDat730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #2  

I am new also. Hang in there.
Shoegirl67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #3  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

Have you thought about speaking to a therapist? That was a tremendous loss, and you turned to food as comfort as many people have done. You are definitely in the right forum for support.

I can honestly say that I have never really had days where I did not want to get out of bed, so I can't relate to you there. My suggestion would be is just to get out of your residence and pick up a hobby of some kind.
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #4  
maintaining since 9/2013

Hi WhoDat,
Wow you've sure had your share of challenges! It's great that you are reaching out for help to improve your life. We're all doing that in one way or another on this forum. I get pretty down in the winter time especially. Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) affects a lot of people & using a special light therapy can help. Also meditation, specifically mindfulness meditation--lots of books & tapes at the library, but I like David Kabat-Zinn and Thich Nhat Hanh. I agree with the suggestion to consider consulting with a therapist too. There is a lot of help out there--don't give up but keep working at it, just like are doing.

Last edited by mars735; 02-09-2014 at 08:30 PM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:58 AM   #5  

S/C/G: Peak 300/Restart 270/Goal 130

Height: 5'4.5'

hi ladies - WhoDat - like you I have done Ideal Protein and had pretty good success and then fell off the wagon and kept dangling behind it for a while. I finally had to stop because of the cost and am trying to do Atkins.

You have been through a lot of turmoil! Finding someone to talk to can be helpful, a counselor is a good way to go as they remain emotionally neutral and are good with cognitive therapy. Sometimes medication can help you get back into balance and in control of your life.

Support is key, no matter the source!
Kat117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 151/151/120

Height: 5'3"

Hi WhoDat,
I think you are doing the right ting to get support where you can, it's true talking to poeple can make a difference and give you the boost you need.
You talked about Fibromyalgia, it is believed to be caused by stress - This lack of motivation getting out of bed may also be linked to your condition. Chronic pain can cause feelings of anxiety and depression, if you havent talked to your doctor about your loss of motivation, please do. they can help.
You seem to know the "tools": how to eat healthy, what to eat, and how to exercise". Hang in there! For you joint pain, try swimming.
Dogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:23 AM   #7  
Started IP Feb. '04

S/C/G: 316.8/303.8/180

Height: 5'6''

Hi Who Dat. I just started with IP myself and am also from New Orleans. How are you liking it so far? I hope it is working for you and I hope this will be a Key towards opening the door to a happier future for you.
rmcjaug is offline   Reply With Quote